Thread: AR peeling in Schaumberg ILL needs care..............

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper AR peeling in Schaumberg ILL needs care..............

Here is an e-mail from a consumer that is asking me who can take care of AR syripping in the Chicago, Schaumberg ILL area. PM me and I will forward address.

Hi Chris. Thank you kindly for the quick reply. Any idea who I can talk
    to? I live in the chicago area - specifically a western suburb called
    Schaumburg, IL. Thanks, Tom

>
    > Hi,
    >
    > Your ultra thin lenses also might get destroyed when using AR strippers as
    > well as the frame. Ar strippers contain one or several acids which might
    > attack different materialls.
    > Show your glasses to a seasoned professional and don't tamper with it
    > yourself.
    > Chris

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Nobnody wants a new customer..............

Funny.......................two days since posting this message and nobody in the Chicago area has responded.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Armor etch...

Armor etch , available from their local craft - store should remove AR coat.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Armor etch , available from their local craft..............

Quote Originally Posted by conor View Post
    Armor etch , available from their local craft - store should remove AR coat.

That is not the issue. The consumer in question is in Chicago, has high index lenses in a rimless frame and can not remove them and want it done by a professional, who then removes the AR with whatever he wants.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm in Chicago, but I can't help. We don't strip AR and I'm not familiar with anyone around here that does.

Is there a nomally a concern that even if the AR is stripped that any prior damage to the lenses (like scratches) could become more apparent once the coating is stripped? I ask because I've never had it done and am curious.

Occupation

Blue Jumper No more scratched..........................

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    Is there a nomally a concern that even if the AR is stripped that any prior damage to the lenses (like scratches) could become more apparent once the coating is stripped? I ask because I've never had it done and am curious.
    Actually If you have scratches on an AR coated lens, you just leave it longer in the stripper and your hard coat where the scratches were will be dissolved and you end up with a flaming brand new lens with no more scratches.
    Actually you save the customers lenses, which usually is very much appreciated these days. Plus you make some money doing it.
    See details at http://optochemicals.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Funny.......................two days since posting this message and nobody in the Chicago area has responded.
    This type of deal typically turns out to be an abortion. Something happens to the lenses either chemically or mechanically, the customer doesn't want to pay a fair price and you end up with a lose - lose situation. The obvious solution is for Tom to return the glasses to whoever it was who sold them to him in the first place. More often than not, when you try to be a nice guy, you end up the goat. No good deed goes unpunished.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would have replied, but I'm at least 600 miles away. Someone down there should have stepped up and done something.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't have replied if the guy lived across the street. Not, at least until I knew a few things like...

-where are the lenses from?
    -why can't they solve the problem?
    -if purchased at a discounter, there's the discounter mentality involved-no thanks.
    -there's a good chance they were purchased on-line. Again, I'll gladly problem solve my own products...
    -why an AR strip?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Case solved...................

Thanks for the replies...............an OptiBoard memeber send me a PM and I forwarded it. Whatever happens is out of my hands,

Occupation

Redhot Jumper AR stripping...................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    This type of deal typically turns out to be an abortion. Something happens to the lenses either chemically or mechanically, the customer doesn't want to pay a fair price and you end up with a lose - lose situation. The obvious solution is for Tom to return the glasses to whoever it was who sold them to him in the first place. More often than not, when you try to be a nice guy, you end up the goat. No good deed goes unpunished.
    This is not a nice guy bad guy situation. It purely another service an optician should and can provide in house.

How much would you charge for taking out 2 lenses of a frame, dipping them into the stripper for 6-8 seconds, rinse them under water, dry them and put them back into the frame?????????????????

If they are scratched you remove the hard coat by leaving lenses in the solution for about an hour and you will see clean clear lenses without scratches.

This is nothing new.................it has been done since 1985 on a world wide basis and has provided an extra income for thousands of opticians as well as helped consumers to preserve their glasses.

Who are the largest strippers of AR coatings ? Of course you coating companies.

And all the Opticians or Optometrist's that have not, or are not doing it have lost some business to others that are do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And what happens when the lens is ruined? That can happen, as you have no idea what lenses are underneath the AR most of the time, and some ARs are more resistant to being stripped. I use your AR remover and I've used BPI's before with generally no problem. But I've had a couple of pairs of lenses that no matter how long (or how little) you left them in the solution they just got worse. They turned sort of a silvery mirrored look and improved not at all.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation

Blue Jumper Of you do not know what is underneath, test it.............

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And what happens when the lens is ruined? That can happen, as you have no idea what lenses are underneath the AR most of the time, and some ARs are more resistant to being stripped. I use your AR remover and I've used BPI's before with generally no problem. But I've had a couple of pairs of lenses that no matter how long (or how little) you left them in the solution they just got worse. They turned sort of a silvery mirrored look and improved not at all.
    Obviously you did not read the instructions or you would not have ruined any lenses that turned white.

There are materials, like hard coats or even the lens materials that do not like the agression of certain chemicals, so that if you do not know what is underneath you can make a test. It is always easy to blame a product when a mistake is made.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Obviously you did not read the instructions or you would not have ruined any lenses that turned white.

There are materials, like hard coats or even the lens materials that do not like the agression of certain chemicals, so that if you do not know what is underneath you can make a test. It is always easy to blame a product when a mistake is made.

Yeah, you're right, all the directions I read was this.
    This Product is one of the safest of it's kind on the market. The unique combination of acids and solvents in water permits the use of only 11.5% of an acid mix and still be the best and fastest A-R coating remover that provides a minimum of accidental health hazards.
    How to Treat a Lens Pour the liquid into a plastic container with a snap on lid. Make sure that when not in use the cover is on airtight.
    Insert lens with the plus side (convex) downward. This way there will be no formation of an air bubble. Wait about 4 to 6 seconds and remove lens from liquid with plastic tweezers and rinse under fresh water.
    The A-R coating should now be gone. Certain lenses may require a longer wait or a re-dip for another short period.

And since it was so much safer than the old BPI I used I wrongly assumed it would be less destructive.

I should have also paid more attention to this part:

Caution Certain high index lenses, polycarbonates or their coatings may get damaged by the a-r stripper. Testing the lens is recommended. this can be easily done by dipping the lens for about one mm at a corner for a few seconds. Should there be any adverse reaction, as the material going milky white, the damage was done only on a small part which can be removed on a bevel edger.
    Even while the liquid does not create immediate burns on the skin, caution should be exercised. The A-R stripper liquid is a mix of several acids and solvents. Any body contact with the material should be avoided.

So anyway the guy in Chicago may have the same type lenses that I have ruined, who knows? It's still a big chance. I might add that I have removed around 50 AR coats with only about 2 bad results. One thing I definitely test for beforehand is to determine if the lens is poly. If it is, I outright refuse to do it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Thank you Dragonlensman........................:)

Thread Information