Thread: Can a mirror coating control UV?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Can a mirror coating control UV?

I am working on a project that requires the level of UV protection to remain at a level of 420nm and cannot find RX blanks that offer that level of protection. Can we design a mirror coating to help make up for the lack of UV protection in the lens material?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i think the UV protection level mainly rely on the lens material. also some lab at my place provide UV400 coat but that will definitely will cause the lens to be appeared yellowish. maybe you can check with your lab manufacture. thank you..

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You have two way, deep lens in Blu Blocker 550 (phantom) for 2-3' (lens became yellow. the second way is use e blu mirrow (max reflection is 75-85%).
    the first way is less expensive and warranty a better result.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper .............around and above 400nm you are in the visible light

Craig .............around and above 400nm you are in the visible light and have to correct with colors, mainly yellow and orange.
    Back to the drawing board....................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thanks for the help, I found a solution! I hope!

This project got me thinking of other ways to improve the UV protection on RX lenses; I contacted a few other experts and am no going to try something new.

I will keep you posted as to the success, it is going to take a few months to get started.

Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    This project got me thinking of other ways to improve the UV protection on RX lenses; I contacted a few other experts and am no going to try something new.

I will keep you posted as to the success, it is going to take a few months to get started.

Craig
    Criag,

So far everyones suggestions has been to reduce transmittance by way of absorbtion (tint), but a mirror should technically be able to provide what you are looking for, I just don't know what the cost is (opticaly speaking) and you would probably want to incorporate some sort of back side AR to reduce the ghost images from flash mirrors assumeing that they can reflect enough of the 400 to 420 range in the first place. Keep us posted this sounds interesting.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was told the mirror will not work!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Criag,

So far everyones suggestions has been to reduce transmittance by way of absorbtion (tint), but a mirror should technically be able to provide what you are looking for, I just don't know what the cost is (opticaly speaking) and you would probably want to incorporate some sort of back side AR to reduce the ghost images from flash mirrors assumeing that they can reflect enough of the 400 to 420 range in the first place. Keep us posted this sounds interesting.
    I asked Chris Reyser- the tint guru- and he informed me that it would probably make the lens too dark. I am confident a tint-like application will be the end result. We need to ensure we can coat most lens materials, seal it in and add non glare and/or a mirror coating on top. We also want to ensure it does not change the appearance as it can be added to most lenses. We are targeting the transitions markets and sunglasses in rx and plano.
    i will look at incorporating some form of mirror coating to help acheive some of the other color filters we are working to bring to market. The glasses are targeted to specific tasks and markets that will benefit from filtering specific colors while offering a transitons version as well.

I will keep you posted as we progress.

Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

design a dichroic filter

There are programmes that will allow the design of a dichroic filter - but empirical prescribing for special purposes may be a problem.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

How to block UV and Blue light up to 420 nm

There is a commercially available astronomical Filter designed exactly to do this, the spectra can be found at:

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sek...e_killer_e.pdf

You will also see that any filter, interfering within the visual spectrum (380-760) will affect the color balance, i.e. will not be colorless, please see images taken with such filters:

See also for further similar products.
    http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sek...r.htm#englisch

PS I am not working for Baader, but as a keen astronomer I recognize and appreciate Quality.

Clear skies
    Georg Mayer
    Munich

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for the information.

This is exactly what I was thinking about; it just takes many layers to get the proper job done.
    I have been working with Dr. Jim Gallas and would be curious to see your feedback on his work and how it may relate to what you just educated me on. He invented Melanin and Ocular Lens Pigment; the OLP is not available yet in comercial form, but we are close and want to utilize coatings to help create the ultimate night driving lens.
    his websites are http://www.melaninproducts.com/ and www.ocularlenspigment.com

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good stuff guys!
    Thanks for sharing!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information