Thread: Tea Party

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Tea Party

I just returned from two tea parties, one in Boston, MA and another in Worcester, MA, and to paraphrase the First Lady, "I haven't been this proud . . . "

It was a pleasant change to be among so many others who share a lot of my concerns about runaway spending and big government (States Rights.). A lot of folks could not attend as they were WORKING but future events will swell in attendance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I just returned from two tea parties, one in Boston, MA and another in Worcester, MA, and to paraphrase the First Lady, "I haven't been this proud . . . "

It was a pleasant change to be among so many others who share a lot of my concerns about runaway spending and big government (States Rights.). A lot of folks could not attend as they were WORKING but future events will swell in attendance.
    I don't recall that you complained about this during the past eight years, though Bush spent like a drunken sailor. What's changed?
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah, no Tea Parties while Bush was spending us down the drain.Where was the outrage when Bush took a surplus and made a record deficit out of it in a very short time.NOW they moan about how bad the economy is and it's obviously Obama's fault. Oh yeah, the liberals don't control the media and can't whip people up into a frenzy like the king of bombast - Rush.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    as a registered Republican (debating on whether or not I should register Libertarian or not) ... I am glad to see the TEA parties ...

I am wondering, however, why "the Right" is upset with the spending NOW and wanting to protest. I think it's important for members of a society to be willing (and able) to voice their opposition to the government.

I have really been frustrated during the BUSH administration. Not only at BUSH but for a lot of the Republican "leadership" --.

I admit that I do get a little nervous about what appears to be the nationalization of so much of our private industries...I think the government is trying to take over too much but I don't think the problem started with Obama.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    I don't recall that you complained about this during the past eight years, though Bush spent like a drunken sailor. What's changed?
    I have been complaining about the confiscatory taxes that I am forced to pay since 1954. There has never been a political party that has represented my feelings toward federal and state governments run amok.

The theft really started in January, 1964 with The War on Poverty and soon thereafter by The War on Drugs, not to mention the ever increasing tax money being spent on public education. In all of these cases the result has been more poverty, more drugs and dumber adolescents entering the job market (or going on town help.)

My principal complaint is that all of this failure has been done on my dime by idiots in the public sector who actually believe that the solution is to throw yet more of my money at the problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If we're going to go into debt and spend money, should we spend it killing people halfway around the world and shoving democracy down their throats, or should we spend it on schools, hospitals, transportation, and jobs here at home?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My principal complaint is that all of this failure has been done on my dime by idiots in the public sector who actually believe that the solution is to throw yet more of my money at the problems.
    Dick,
    If my math is correct Clinton did more to shrink the Federal Government's size (based on % of GNP than anyother President), post WWII excluded.

Have you ever considered running for office yourself?

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Yeah, no Tea Parties while Bush was spending us down the drain.Where was the outrage when Bush took a surplus and made a record deficit out of it in a very short time.NOW they moan about how bad the economy is and it's obviously Obama's fault. Oh yeah, the liberals don't control the media and can't whip people up into a frenzy like the king of bombast - Rush.
    Good point Dragon.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love these threads that are always chasing after dropping taxes or dropping spending as the solution. It seems like no one realizes that you have to not only balance a budget, but create surpluses. You think just cutting spending will do that? You think a combination of cutting spending and cutting taxes will do that? It will just make it worse.

There is a show called "Til Debt Do Us Part," where couples seek financial counseling. The first thing she does is cut their expenses and increase their income. Why? because that is the only way you can move forward to removing debt. The only way the US will get out of its problems is to cut spending and increase taxes.

Until people except that, it will just get worse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been complaining about the confiscatory taxes that I am forced to pay since 1954. There has never been a political party that has represented my feelings toward federal and state governments run amok.

The theft really started in January, 1964 with The War on Poverty and soon thereafter by The War on Drugs, not to mention the ever increasing tax money being spent on public education. In all of these cases the result has been more poverty, more drugs and dumber adolescents entering the job market (or going on town help.)

The Government employing everyone and paying everyone is unacceptable. The government doing nothing, and not taxing is also unacceptable. Where do we draw the line? Who gets to decide? Why should they get to decide?

Isn't a healthy, educated citizenry good for the US? Isn't it good that your parents don't have to work until the day that they die, or have to eat cat food and live in a cardboard box when they are no longer able to work? Isn't it good that the factories that process the food that you eat are inspected? That nuclear power plants are inspected? There are things that taxes pay for that I think we both can agree on, and there is certainly tax money spent on things that one of us will object to.

If there was a smaller disparity between the wealthy and the needy, there would be less need for things like a war on poverty.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post

If there was a smaller disparity between the wealthy and the needy, there would be less need for things like a war on poverty.
    I agree with this, but not in the way you intend.

If there were no income disparity, we'd all be average, some better some worse. Is that more fair, Spex?

And I'm for anything that would keep us from the insipid "War on Poverty".

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

If there were no income disparity, we'd all be average, some better some worse. Is that more fair, Spex?

Yeah, it's as big a waste of effort and dollars as The War On Drugs started by Nancy Reagan's medium, er by President Reagan.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I didn't say "no income disparity". Just less.
    ...Just ask me...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yeah! Now there's a War we've won!:cheers::cheers::cheers:(:hammer:)

44 years later and we've all but eradicated poverty! Good job.

If someone could only come up with an edible cell phone,I-pod, and X-box game, no child in the US would ever have to go hungry again
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Found out why there were no Tea parties during Bush's tenure. The Government would have you declared a terrorist under Homeland Security and you would still be in jail.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Oh yeah, the liberals don't control the media and can't whip people up into a frenzy like the king of bombast - Rush.
    It's amazing that people still listen to Rush Blowhard. I guess they don't mind getting their politics from drug addicts. It does help explain some republican policies though.

Thread Information