Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backside scratches after polishing

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Backside scratches after polishing

Hello,

We recently started having a problem just with poly semi-finished lenses. After the polishing step, we de-block the lenses and they have random, somewhat circular scratches on the backside.

The problem only happens with poly.
    We changed the polish (we use universal photonics polish)
    We changed the first and second fine pads to all new ones from a new batch
    Since the problem only happens with poly (every thing is perfect with Cr-39) this seems to eliminate any issues with the generator or finners and polishers. we even upped the finning time by 30 seconds to no avail.

does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    minor debris in the polish can cause very minor scratches. Try putting a filter (you can try women's stockings or very fine mesh screen)in the drain hose to catch the very small particles.

Also, if the scratches are extremely fine, they should coat over w/ the backside coat.

remember that uncoated poly is awfully prone to scratches, so it isn't suprising that it only happens on this material.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Yeah, small debris could cause an issue. Check your polish time and pressure too.
    Is it happening on all Poly, or only certain types or sizes? Could be the larger crib diameters need a longer time in polishing.

But I would try the filter first.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Or your polish may be too warm. I would seriously consider investing in a backside spin coater, or farming out your polys and 1.67s to a lab that has the equipment to do so. We have a freestanding one that hooks up to our air lines, with a bucket system in the bottom, and besides an occasional bulb and coat change, it's saved us a ton of money in breakages from bad surfaces. We've been backside coating our AR jobs, finding that the AR lasts longer when we coat them first.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    I would seriously consider investing in a backside spin coater, or farming out your polys and 1.67s to a lab that has the equipment to do so.
    Isn't it the norm to back side coat the Poly lenses? I would have taken this as a given.
    If you are trying to get perfection from Poly without a BSC, then you have a whole lotta trouble on your hands!
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper However the polish should per perfect............................

Quote Originally Posted by IC-UC View Post
    Isn't it the norm to back side coat the Poly lenses? I would have taken this as a given.
    If you are trying to get perfection from Poly without a BSC, then you have a whole lotta trouble on your hands!
    Backside on Poly has to be coated as a must. There is no naked poly lenses..........they scratch when you just look at them. However the polish should per perfect.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Depending on the depth of the swirl marks, the back-side coating should fill the scratch. We used to do that as our get-out-of-jail-free card with uncut lenses that had a few noticable hair line scratches that would be seen by our accounts.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now, you be done to got swirl marks or scratches?

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Where are the swirls at on the lenses? At the edges or the center? If it's consistently one or the other, you have a problem with pulling the wrong tool for surfacing. Pulling too "steep" of a tool will result in the swirls being on the outer edges, and pulling too "shallow" of a tool will get you swirls in the center.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Where are the swirls at on the lenses? At the edges or the center? If it's consistently one or the other, you have a problem with pulling the wrong tool for surfacing. Pulling too "steep" of a tool will result in the swirls being on the outer edges, and pulling too "shallow" of a tool will get you swirls in the center.
    Well, its hard to believe that Marc71 is capable of pulling the correct tool for all materials other than poly, but suddenly goes brain dead when pulling tools for poly.

I think my good friend Aarlan hit the nail on the head--there's something contaminating the polish. The nature of polycarbonate makes it more susceptible to showing a scratch from polish contamination than CR39. Scratches from contaminated polish would look circular, as you described.

Don't overlook the possibility that you are inducing the scratches either through your inspection process, your deblocking process, or your cleaning process prior to backside coating.
    RT

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    WHat type of generator are you using? I had similar problem and the generator needed to be recalibrated. Call your tech support for your generator. Also this may seem silly but double check and make aure your 1st & 2nd fine pads are the same size. I once got shipped the wrong size 2nd fine pad and didn;t catch it until I screwed up a set of polys. The first fine were 3 1/2 and the 2nd fine were ( by mistake) 3. Good Luck.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71 View Post
    Hello,

We recently started having a problem just with poly semi-finished lenses. After the polishing step, we de-block the lenses and they have random, somewhat circular scratches on the backside.

The problem only happens with poly.
    We changed the polish (we use universal photonics polish)
    We changed the first and second fine pads to all new ones from a new batch
    Since the problem only happens with poly (every thing is perfect with Cr-39) this seems to eliminate any issues with the generator or finners and polishers. we even upped the finning time by 30 seconds to no avail.

does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Have you checked to see if your coater is working correctly? Cure time etc...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I appreciate everyones help. To clarify, the scratches are prior to hard coating. We use an ultra optics coater and the scratches almost always come out after hard coating. We have tried everything including changing polish pads and polish. On the finning side, we have changed finning pads and the filters. Tomorrow we will try 3 stepping poly to see if maybe that makes a difference since I believe we've narrowed it down to the finning stage.

any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    OK, this one is a little out there. Untrued laps?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71 View Post
    I appreciate everyones help. To clarify, the scratches are prior to hard coating. We use an ultra optics coater and the scratches almost always come out after hard coating. We have tried everything including changing polish pads and polish. On the finning side, we have changed finning pads and the filters. Tomorrow we will try 3 stepping poly to see if maybe that makes a difference since I believe we've narrowed it down to the finning stage.

any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    If you follow a couple through, you will likely see little wads of poly 1-1,5 mm on the second fine pad after fining.(That coinside with the position of the swirls on the lenses.) Filter or do not recircurlate fining water. I think PSI may have some additives to help. Keep trying different pads 'til this does not happen. If you allow your polishing guys to deblock after inspecting for scratches, with the minset that coating will fix the problem, it will get worse to the point that the coating will not be a solution. It's a ***** of a problem, but stay with it until you whip it. Not a thing to do with the laps long as they are clean befor the start of cycle.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    If you follow a couple through, you will likely see little wads of poly 1-1,5 mm on the second fine pad after fining.(That coinside with the position of the swirls on the lenses.) Filter or do not recircurlate fining water. I think PSI may have some additives to help. Keep trying different pads 'til this does not happen. If you allow your polishing guys to deblock after inspecting for scratches, with the minset that coating will fix the problem, it will get worse to the point that the coating will not be a solution. It's a ***** of a problem, but stay with it until you whip it. Not a thing to do with the laps long as they are clean befor the start of cycle.
    Are your scratched lenses on power?

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Sorry Ed, I was replying to marc71's question about swirly scratches on poly. It would be obvious that the "somewhat circular scratches on the backside" would be from an occurance on the surfacing machines if the circles match the stroke orbit and pattern of the machine.

Banned
    Occupation
    If it's just poly, could be (outside chance) they use different laps for poly. Maybe the poly pads leaving glue spots on the laps. Glue ******s under the pad could make a swirl problem. This is an unlikely possibility. Can't say boogers? Anyway, most likely in the AM he will see little wads of poly build up on his fining pads riht where the swirls are.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    If it's just poly, could be (outside chance) they use different laps for poly. Maybe the poly pads leaving glue spots on the laps. Glue ******s under the pad could make a swirl problem. This is an unlikely possibility. Can't say boogers? Anyway, most likely in the AM he will see little wads of poly build up on his fining pads riht where the swirls are.

Different laps for poly? That's not something I'm familiar with. Different pads sure.

Banned
    Occupation
    Different laps for poly? That's not something I'm familiar with. Different pads sure.
    Yes, very unlikely that's the problem.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Stock removal in polishing is critical with poly, it's what removes the scratches from the fining process. Consider spindle speed, lens sweep, clamp pressure and cycle timers. Stock removal in polishing should be 0.03m/m, for what it's worth!

Bob

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob MacNeil View Post
    Stock removal in polishing is critical with poly, it's what removes the scratches from the fining process. Consider spindle speed, lens sweep, clamp pressure and cycle timers. Stock removal in polishing should be 0.03m/m, for what it's worth!

Bob
    Because I'm curious. What is stock removal?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Stock removal is the amount of lens material removed during the surfacing process, for generating and fining, it's done with a dial indicator, in polishing, it's calculated by weight reduction in 0.001 of a gram. (the lens and chuck must be dry)

Bob

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob MacNeil View Post
    Stock removal is the amount of lens material removed during the surfacing process, for generating and fining, it's done with a dial indicator, in polishing, it's calculated by weight reduction in 0.001 of a gram. (the lens and chuck must be dry)

Bob

Ah, didn't know it by that name.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, I don't want to get too excited but I think we've solved the problem. When we called the manufacturer they asked if we adjusted the pressures. We were running at 20psi on both finning steps and polishing for poly. we changed to 16psi, increased the second fine from 1:30 to 2:00 minutes and increased the polish time from 5 minutes to 6 minutes. This seems to have worked. It was the end of the day so we will see more tomorrow but hopefully that will do the trick.

Thread Information