Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Legalization of Marijuana

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That is another thing.

You know, if Hitler goes out and lies to us, I expect it. If drug dealers go out there and lie to us, I expect it. When not-for-profit agencies and the government go out and lie to us, it is even more wrong, because they are supposed to do good.

So why are they supporting films like reefer madness and commercials showing kids shooting themselves, and drawing a picture of lies.

It is like Truth.com, who cannot make up its mind if cigarettes kills 1 in 2 people or 1 in 3. There is a HUGE difference.

This is one reason why people hate Michael Moore. He could have gone out there and just presented the facts, but instead, he had to become as bad as the people he exposed and twist stories.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It is like Truth.com, who cannot make up its mind if cigarettes kills 1 in 2 people or 1 in 3. There is a HUGE difference.

THANK YOU! I'm glad I'm not the ONLY person on the planet who is tired of watching all these "public service" messages portraying the horrors of 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

I mean, geesh! Just in case there is a person left on the planet who has yet to figure it out- smoking is bad for you. Drinking 12 Cokes a day, eating at McDonalds 4x per week, failing to excersize for even 5-10 minutes a day, driving too fast, failing to wear your seat belt (or a condom), and drinking too much booze is also bad for you. There, its been said- now get over it!

Fact is, everyone (including myself) makes personal decisions to do things that aren't necessarily good for them. I wish organizations like "Truth" would constrain themselves to simply providing a realistic picture of risk (because there is value in educating people about the risks they are taking- that way, they have the knowledge to make informed choices about the risks taken). Instead, they engage in "risk marketing" using fear and exaggeration. Same holds true for global warming. The planet may be warming, but some of the "marketing claims" asserted by environmentalists who view global warming as a "hot button" (pun intended) that can be pushed for increased donations is just laughable. By going to the nth degree to stretch the impact of their cause, these organizations relegate themselves to background noise. After all, my 14 year old sees that stupid "anti-pot" ad (where the kid is passed out at a party and being written all over with markers) and he thinks "That's a bogus ad- because that really doesn't happen to anyone I know."

Furthermore, I think its a bit hypocritical of society (especially one that is chronically underexercised and overweight) to seperate out one specific group of risk-takers (i.e., smokers) for persecution and ridicule. Look, I don't make a habit out of smoking cigarettes- but if someone else wants to do so in a bar setting, that doesn't particularly bother me (if I don't like it, I'll just go to a different bar that chooses not to allow smoking- or sit outside). I really do not require government regulation to "protect me" from inhaling second-hand smoke at any bar!

I have a very hard time believing occasional exposure to second hand smoke is going to be as bad for me as inhaling the smoke from a pack a day is for the person who decides to smoke. Also, I don't think its fair to heavily tax smokers for the "healthcare burden" they represent when we don't tax the 380 pound sugar addict that lives next door to them.

Whew, that felt good!
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 04-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pot Heads:

Wake up from your pipe-dream of legalized marijuana. It will never happen.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Pot Heads:

if you look at the first post, you will see that I do not smoke marijuana.

Also, we came within months of Canada decriminalizing it (under 15 grams). It was only when Harper won the election that he killed the bill.

:finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pot Heads:

You mean it won't happen again. It was legal and used by people in many different societies for 6000 years. It's only in the last 70 or so years that American white people decided that they knew better than the rest of us. I wonder how man has survived for so long without big government to protect him?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Pot Heads:

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "legalized." But in any case, "never" is a really long time.

A bill to make possession of 0.5 oz. or less an infraction (like a traffic violation) will probably pass the Connecticut General Assembly this session, and Granny Rell may just sign it.

A number of jurisdictions in the U.S. have done this, and as they discover the extent to which the benefits of doing so (primarily freeing law enforcement and judicial resources to deal with more significant matters) outweighs the cost (uh... I've got nothing...), I predict it will become the norm.

When Mississippi leads the way, you know that strange days have indeed found us.

Thread Information