Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legalization of Marijuana

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    But most people are lazy and would rather pay $5 for a joint then have to bother buying, installing, and cultivating the weed themselves.

Congress should capitalize on this....weed could be the source of funding needed to pay for their stimulus plan! LOL Not to mention the sales of taxable food goods like BROWNIES and chips and salsa!

Hell, even I'd smoke a few joints if it would help the country!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by misslindsay View Post
    One could say the same for home beer distillation and tobacco.
    Sure one could but it's much easier to grow your own pot then have your own distillery station set up in your house. Oh well such is life it won't be legal ever so who cares.

Occupation
    The following is my opinion only !!

I have had this opinion on the legalization of any street drug since before I became a Registered Nurse and Alcohol and Drug Counsellor. "I think all persons involved in the sale, distribution or use of illegal street drugs should be jailed".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    "I think all persons involved in the sale, distribution or use of illegal street drugs should be jailed".

I'll add:

Made to pay restitution(sp?) to the family, friends, co-workers, and society that such activity wrecks havoc on!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Fiscal Responsibility meets Tough Love

I have had this opinion on the legalization of any street drug since before I became a Registered Nurse and Alcohol and Drug Counsellor. "I think all persons involved in the sale, distribution or use of illegal street drugs should be jailed".
    The U.S. prison population is 2.3 million is presently; there are about 13 million drug users in the U.S. Extrapolating from current costs, it would cost around 1.6 trillion dollars to build prisons to hold them all, which would cost an additional $300 billion annually to operate.

You may want to think of a more practical solution. Did you ever see the movie Soylent Green?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    The U.S. prison population is 2.3 million is presently; there are about 13 million drug users in the U.S. Extrapolating from current costs, it would cost around 1.6 trillion dollars to build prisons to hold them all, which would cost an additional $300 billion annually to operate.

You may want to think of a more practical solution. Did you ever see the movie Soylent Green?
    Stimulus package funds?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Yes, excellent idea. :D :D

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So does that imply that people involved in the sale, distribution, or use of LEGAL street drugs should NOT be jailed? Oxycontin is legal, therefore street users of oxycontin should not go to jail, but users of marijuana should.

If the drugs were legalized, you'd be OK, right? That would seem to argue for legalization.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You can start with the CEO's of Phillip-Morris, RJR, and Budweiser. Do you realize that over 30% of our medicines are derived directly from botanicals? How many people have required medical attention as a result of an overdose of Marijuana, in your career as a nurse?

Bad address email on file cash1's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    REEFER MADNESS!:drop:

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    When you understand and have first hand knowledge of addiction, let me know. We can then have a real discussion.
    My roomate died of a heroin overdose. I've played guitar professionally since I was 12. I had to cut off my fingers to quit smoking cigarettes. What do you want to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Dave? Daves not here.
    I'm Dave! Now open the door!

Quote Originally Posted by misslindsay View Post
    Legalize not decriminalize. It's no more intoxicating than alcohol and has many fewer side effects as far as damaging organs and neurotoxicity. And it could make the gov't a heck of a lot of cash through taxation and regulation.

and FYI... I don't use the stuff.
    Legalize (adults only) and regulate it all, including prostitution. Tax it so the price stays below the street price. Watch the crime rate drop like a rock. When we've put organized crime out of business, then, and only then should we try to restrict the availabilty of the more addictive drugs. Users should be able to aquire pharmaceutical grade and dosed products as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cash1 View Post
    REEFER MADNESS!:drop:
    Madness is right. Take a look at why it was made illegal.

No medical testimony in favor of the proposed federal anti-marijuana law was presented at the 1937 Congressional hearings. Indeed, the only physician to testify was a representative of the American Medical Association–– and he opposed the bill. 18 Marijuana, he pointed out, was a recognized medicine in good standing, distributed by leading pharmaceutical firms, and on sale at many pharmacies. At least twenty-eight medicinal products containing marijuana were on the market in 1937.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/...tudies/cu/cu56
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So should alcohol be made illegal, because it is addictive?
    The government tried this- it was called "Prohibition" and it made folks like Al Capone a lot of money running illegal booze.

On the one hand...
    Once something is legal, it is awfully hard to "put the genie back in the bottle." I would think a lot more kids would experiment with pot if it were legal- if for no other reason than it would be more omnipresent.

Also, given the ridiculous steps being taken by US society to avoid the "dangers" of second-hand smoke, one has to wonder where one could legally consume marijuana! Certainly not in a bar, or a house with children...

On the other hand...
    It does seem a bit silly to prosecute and jail people for choosing to consume a substance with effects that are comparable in magnitude to other, legal substances.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Intersting opinions in the forum. Popular arguments for legalization seem to have 3 common elements.

1. Gov't would keep more tax money.
    2. Marijuana is better than alcohol.
    3. The person doesn't use marijuana themselves.

It makes me wonder.

1. If you don't use marijuana, why are you so concerned about increasing the governments tax?
    2. What other tax income issues do you promote?
    3. Do you want to criminalize alcohol?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Jacqui, when you were an addictions counsellor, did you find many of your clients were solely addicted to marijuana? I find the addictions counsellors I talk to say that alcohol, prescription drugs, and hard drugs are what they encounter regularly.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Jacqui, when you were an addictions counsellor, did you find many of your clients were solely addicted to marijuana? I find the addictions counsellors I talk to say that alcohol, prescription drugs, and hard drugs are what they encounter regularly.

I have seen a few that were addicted to marijuana only. I can't give the numbers as my records are in storage right now. Almost every addict that I have worked with has stated that they started with marijuana and proceded from there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen a few that were addicted to marijuana only. I can't give the numbers as my records are in storage right now. Almost every addict that I have worked with has stated that they started with marijuana and proceded from there.
    Still wondering how many medical emergencies have been brought on by excessive Marijuana use? I bet many of your old patients actually started on cigarettes. I wonder if they were asked that question. Probably not, even though 443,000 Americans die each year from them.
    Last edited by KStraker; 04-15-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Intersting opinions in the forum. Popular arguments for legalization seem to have 3 common elements.

1. Gov't would keep more tax money.
    2. Marijuana is better than alcohol.
    3. The person doesn't use marijuana themselves.

It makes me wonder.

1. If you don't use marijuana, why are you so concerned about increasing the governments tax?
    2. What other tax income issues do you promote?
    3. Do you want to criminalize alcohol?
    Personally I think it should be legalized because it will bring about much needed new industry. Hemp can be used for biofuel, building material, all sorts of textiles, food, cosmetics, insulation, composite materials for autos, etc. Legal or illegal, Marijuana is the 4th largest cash crop in the US. Estimates are 5.5 million pounds worth about 20 billion dollars.

PS-I tried it a time or two(every week for 15 years) and I did inhale. I think it works great for stress, pain relief, appetite, and help sleeping.
    Last edited by KStraker; 04-15-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    standard preface: I dont use it, blah, blah blah.

An interesting point raised by the film "pineapple express" (a pretty mediocre film) is that because its illegal, people who want it have to deal with really scummy people to get it. I think that is the only reason it "leads" to other drugs.

I think if prohibition of liquor was still in effect, and you could only get it from seedy criminals who also had heroin and other hardcore drugs, a lot of alcohol users would be "gatewayed" into other drugs.

My knowledge of marijuana is only from a high school health class and pop culture, but it seems a helluva lot less dangerous than alcohol or nicotine.... and maybe even caffiene.
    Life is too important to take seriously.
    WALDO!

Occupation
    When there is more knowledge of addiction here, I will add more from personal experience.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    addiction to marijuana? isnt it debateable that its even addictive?

supposing it is adddictive, whats the worst case scenario? the addictee gets fat and lazy from fast food, and has a crappy short term memory. If they smoke it, they may have other health issues of course.

Still seems like a less dangerous addictive substance than alcohol, cigarettes or caffiene. Not to mention that 2 of those can be dangerous to people in society who dont partake in them (cigarettes & alcohol).
    WALDO!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post

Define addiction.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

supposing it is adddictive, whats the worst case scenario? the addictee gets fat and lazy from fast food, and has a crappy short term memory. If they smoke it, they may have other health issues of course.

Still seems like a less dangerous addictive substance than alcohol, cigarettes or caffiene. Not to mention that 2 of those can be dangerous to people in society who dont partake in them (cigarettes & alcohol).

You know, you're probably right. It is less dangerous than cigarettes or caffiene. That is exactly what I told your kid's bus driver while we were toking up 30 minutes before he picked the kids up at school.

I can speak from experience of addiction. I started out with marijuana, then moved on to meth and cocaine, even tried heroin a few times. I was up to about $500/day meth habit at my peak (funny way to think about it). I finally got sick of watching friends go to prison or the graveyard and stopped completely. I have been clean of illegal drugs now for 11 years and 3 months. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't still get a craving for those drugs.

Why should we make it any easier to get than it needs to be. Addiction sucks! Unfortunately, you don't realize it until you've been addicted and come back from it. If you haven't been there, you can't imagine what its like.
    Last edited by bob_f_aboc; 04-16-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: couldn't count the years
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    You know, you're probably right. It is less dangerous than cigarettes or caffiene. That is exactly what I told your kid's bus driver while we were toking up 30 minutes before he picked the kids up at school.
    better than boozing it up instead.
    WALDO!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    better than boozing it up instead.

Why?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it could just be my high school health class knowledge of the stuff, but doesnt it slow reaction time, etc. to a lesser amount than alcohol?

I dont drink alcohol either... so again, im no expert.
    WALDO!

Thread Information