Thread: strange request by customer

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

strange request by customer

This opthalmologist who is using a distance correction only,is a fresh presbyope.
    He wants to go for progressive lenses.Now he insists that I mark the fitting point on the frame,with his head tilted slightly backwards,as this is his natural head posture,instead of the usual"On my forehead"gaze.He says there is logic in what he is saying & that he has had problem with a progressive,fitted the usual way.
    Is he right?? I am not confident fitting the lense this way.
    Seniors please comment
    Regards
    Vimal Bhatia

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would follow his instructions. Not because he is smarter than you but #1 he has mentioned previous problems with progressives.... #2 he has specifically pointed out the manner in which he is "posture comfortable" #3 by doing what he asks you are basically "lowering" the progressive center allowing hin a greater distance area and #4 make sure if you do this that the frame you pick has a reasonable amount of depth to it, so that his reading section will be adequate.

If you succeed with this fitting and he is comfortable make sure to use this to your advantage for furture referrals to your office.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by spexwala View Post
    This opthalmologist who is using a distance correction only,is a fresh presbyope.
    He wants to go for progressive lenses.Now he insists that I mark the fitting point on the frame,with his head tilted slightly backwards,as this is his natural head posture,instead of the usual"On my forehead"gaze.He says there is logic in what he is saying & that he has had problem with a progressive,fitted the usual way.
    Is he right?? I am not confident fitting the lense this way.
    Seniors please comment
    Regards
    Vimal Bhatia
    Hi Vimal.

If your customer tell you to do it, then explain that it´s on her own risk.
    If he insist then just do it.
    I see no problem with that, but I would check the old lenses, and adjust it to the new add.

Mike

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My first PAL fitting lesson centred around this topic. I fit the pat. textbook, pat. comes in for dispense, stands up and cannot see distance. I re-mark the lenses with the pat. standing, the fit HT was 3mm lower. Remade lenses at corrected HT, pat was happy.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just had this discussion and concluded that the demo lens should be dotted, lined and then checked with the patient standing looking at a distant object at eye level while standing in a relaxed position. Seems the good doctor knows more about this than you do.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    is just my very personal opinion,
    1. Long corridor PAL will be better.
    2. Agree with the feedback that fit according to the instruction, some may need a special pair for special purpose that's why he tilt the head slight backward. i have an experience that a client requested to be fitted at special head posture.
    3. you may try observe is he came in to your practice with the same head posture? if not maybe you can try understand is that pair is for certain purpose, maybe surgery? or he use to read lying down? to understand his needs and advice accordingly will be the best way..

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Another Strange Request

Today I had a prosthetic eye patient, whom I last saw 20 years ago. 20 years ago he had an old prosthesis that I polished and advised replacement. Today he had the same prosthesis and said: "The only reason I'm in today is I have a dremel and I want to know what buffing wheels and polishes to use on my prosthetic eye.
    I think this outfit hit a new high in being cheap.

Chip

Occupation
    Roflmao

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    We just had this discussion and concluded that the demo lens should be dotted, lined and then checked with the patient standing looking at a distant object at eye level while standing in a relaxed position. Seems the good doctor knows more about this than you do.

Chip
    That's how I do it. We don't completely ignore the sitting posture, although now that our TVs are larger and off the floor I'll give the standing posture much more consideration, about 90/10. The trick of course is to get a realistic relaxed posture. When they stiffen up after I tell them to relax, I then tell them to give me their "after a glass (only one glass!) of wine" posture. On the way back to the table I'll sneek-a-peek to see if they've been lying to me.:)

the demo lens should be dotted, lined
    Yep, always lines. I confirm the horizontal centration with lines also. I don't even use the pupilometer anymore, except for ballpark. Talk about old school!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re:

Thank You every one for your inputs.Have already sent the lenses for mounting with "after a glass of wine"head posture markings.
    Results are awaited.Will post back once the pair is delivered.
    Regards
    Vimal

Occupation
    Optometrist

Wink

an MD with his nose in the air? I don't believe it

:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I often find that you must fit military and ex-military a bit lower because the stick their chins out when they stand. Teachers can do this too.

I had one Gentleman whom I could tell he was ex-military by his posture. When I asked when he served in the Army he was astonished because it had been in 1949. He still was standing at attention 60 years later.

I fit taller people 1 mm lower for this reason too.

Also had to do if for a guy with a Corvette.

I observe peoples posture to see if a lower fitting height is warranted. Please do this especially if he asks.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I often find that you must fit military and ex-military a bit lower because the stick their chins out when they stand. Teachers can do this too.

I had one Gentleman whom I could tell he was ex-military by his posture. When I asked when he served in the Army he was astonished because it had been in 1949. He still was standing at attention 60 years later.

I fit taller people 1 mm lower for this reason too.

Also had to do if for a guy with a Corvette.

I observe peoples posture to see if a lower fitting height is warranted. Please do this especially if he asks.

Sharpstick

thanks for this info, is really something new to me.. :cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeap, over here it's not our military that's that proud anymore. It's the rich spoiled women in our affluent neighborhoods. The ones that park in the handicap places because they are "just goin' in for a minite."

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeap, over here it's not our military that's that proud anymore. It's the rich spoiled women in our affluent neighborhoods. The ones that park in the handicap places because they are "just goin' in for a minite."

Chip
    Don't you just want to "handicap" their tires?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re:

My Sincere thank you to every one in here.
    After using the glasses for a few days,the MD stepped in to congratulate & thank me.
    I fiited the progressives with '' After a glass of wine" posture & succeeded.
    Every ones help & inputs appreciated.
    Regards
    Vimal

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today I had a prosthetic eye patient, whom I last saw 20 years ago. 20 years ago he had an old prosthesis that I polished and advised replacement. Today he had the same prosthesis and said: "The only reason I'm in today is I have a dremel and I want to know what buffing wheels and polishes to use on my prosthetic eye.
    I think this outfit hit a new high in being cheap.

Chip
    hahaha...that is funny!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip
    Do you give them coupons for a 50% off on prostetic eyes?:D

Thread Information