Thread: Give yourself a pay raise. Support H.R.25

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Give yourself a pay raise. Support H.R.25

Fair Tax Act of 2009

To promote freedom, fairness, and economic opportunity by repealing the income tax and other taxes, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and enacting a national sales tax to be administered primarily by the States.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h25/show

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We talked about this a few weeks ago.

Tonight I was teaching my class and another fatal flaw appeared in the system. The Internet. Now, many scoffed at me before when I mentioned that it would be very easy for people to cross the border for their purchases and save the 30% or so percent. But, most products sold on the net today are NOT paying sales tax.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

2 + 2 = 8,965

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Fair Tax Act of 2009

To promote freedom, fairness, and economic opportunity by repealing the income tax and other taxes, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and enacting a national sales tax to be administered primarily by the States.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h25/show
    Proponents of the Fair Tax usually make two contradictory claims: first, that a transition to this consumption tax would be revenue-neutral; second, that your (presumably net) pay is increased.

Other than by construing the word "net" in a creative and misleading way, both assertions cannot be true, unless the "your" refers to a particular class of individuals.

Dick, if you think that anyone pays less tax under this scheme, yet the scheme takes in the same amount of tax, someone must be paying more. So, who are the winners, and who are the losers?

I suppose there is the possibility that someone with a mystical attraction to a consumption tax could believe that we would all be much more productive, were only the "right" tax system imposed. I am skeptical; my wife just prepared our tax return; I signed it, and my life seems to have continued with no discernable effect one way or the other. It's hard for me to see how my life would be different in the absence of that event, or had the numbers on those pages differed significantly (if that's even possible under this alternative scheme).

Thread Information