Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awesome (and cheap) Music Download Site

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Early Madonna was pretty "bubblegummy", if you ask me. Remeber "starlight, star bright"?
    I was thinking about that even as I typed it. As I recall, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper emerged almost at the same time- and I seem to remember Lauper made the bigger initial splash. While Lauper started hanging out with the wierd WWF guy with the rubber-band piercings, however, Madonna kicked her music up a notch and started producing some of the 80s best music.

Nothing against the Beatles (other than I don't enjoy their music and therefore they seem over-rated to me). Maybe part of my issue owes itself to being forced to learn Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band in 7th grade as part of a show (that song still gives me a headache).

The other top songs from 1967 seem to make my point- what element of The Beatles offerings weren't included in at least one of the wide variety of other music from 1967 (other than the fact that The Beatles were from the UK and had a different look)? Some of their songs tell a story- but that's covered by the eerie "Ode to Billie Joe" (a song that still gives me the creeps). I've always thought The Monkees represent the same basic formula as The Beatles (they just didn't take themselves so seriously).

Of course, part of this is just to get your goat- since the vast majority of music loving folks out there would agree with you that The Beatles were revolutionary innovators.;)

Ringo is recognized as having a lot to do with bringing drumming up to what is now current styles, as they were for the most part (Joe Morello excluded) anonymous behind the kit. Here's something:

Lennon said of Starr:
    “ Ringo was a star in his own right in Liverpool before we even met. Ringo was a professional drummer who sang and performed and was in one of the top groups in Britain [Rory Storm and the Hurricanes] but especially in Liverpool. ... Ringo's a damn good drummer.[25]
    Drummer Steve Smith said:
    “ Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability and virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song.[26] ” Many drummers list Starr as an influence, including Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Orri Páll Dýrason of Sigur Rós,[27] Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Eric Carr of Kiss, Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and others.[28] According to Collins, "Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The only reason why PC's get more virus's and worms is because the lions share of users are using PC's not Mac's or any other flavors of *nix. The genral rule of thumb amoung those workign in the IT field is that PC's are better fro office enviornments because of their familiarity to users and ease of use and Macs are geared more towards the creative like web designers, video production, and graphics design. Even software seems to mimic this trend as any graphic production is done better with a Mac, where as any office task is more productive with a PC.

As for an iPod, they are riddled with cripple ware and proprietary in every sense, the newer version may contain DRM chips in the headphones, yes apple may be trying to make sure your iPod doesn't work with any other headphone than the ones they sell. The iTunes site is expensive and uses again a proprietary format. Other formats like wma with DRM from microsoft has turned into a disaster for them and in recent years online music vendors have realized that the cost of implementing such schemes are expensiv and counter productive, mp3's are a good format and their are otehr good formats available out their but anything containing any DRM (Digital Rights Management) is crippled and should be worth much less than the equivalent mp3 or other non-crippled format. Apple has doen a good job fooling the masses, that's why their prodcut is so popular.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The only reason why PC's get more virus's and worms is because the lions share of users are using PC's not Mac's or any other flavors of *nix. The genral rule of thumb amoung those workign in the IT field is that PC's are better fro office enviornments because of their familiarity to users and ease of use and Macs are geared more towards the creative like web designers, video production, and graphics design. Even software seems to mimic this trend as any graphic production is done better with a Mac, where as any office task is more productive with a PC.

As for an iPod, they are riddled with cripple ware and proprietary in every sense, the newer version may contain DRM chips in the headphones, yes apple may be trying to make sure your iPod doesn't work with any other headphone than the ones they sell. The iTunes site is expensive and uses again a proprietary format. Other formats like wma with DRM from microsoft has turned into a disaster for them and in recent years online music vendors have realized that the cost of implementing such schemes are expensiv and counter productive, mp3's are a good format and their are otehr good formats available out their but anything containing any DRM (Digital Rights Management) is crippled and should be worth much less than the equivalent mp3 or other non-crippled format. Apple has doen a good job fooling the masses, that's why their prodcut is so popular.
    Man Harry.....I wish I understood what you are talking about! I am such a computer Dope, that it is all foreign to me!

I'll light up a dark CAO, and pour another ale and try to learn!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Thread Information