Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SolaOne HD

Occupation
    Optometrist

SolaOne HD

I have just order a pair of SolaOne 1.6 transition HD for my client, i have something that not really understand about it, here are some my question:

1. What is the different between HD and non-HD lens?
    2. why the lens Rx is not the same as i order particularly at the axis?
    3. Anyone has fit this lens and how is the feedback?

thank you.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you understand the importance of catchy currenct trade names? HD stands for high definition. It was so tricky that the government had officials after traveling to Europe, make us change out all our TV stations and TV sets.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    SOLAOne HD is optically customized for the patient's specific prescription requirements, using an assumed position of wear. Because the fitted position of the lens can introduce various prescription changes, due to the oblique astigmtism introduced by lens tilt, the final prescription may differ slightly from the original prescription, as measured in a typical focimeter or lensmeter.

If you want a more detailed answer to this question, I would consider reading the following white paper: Free-Form Optical Optimization.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
    I have just order a pair of SolaOne 1.6 transition HD for my client, i have something that not really understand about it, here are some my question:

thank you.
    I have tried the Sola HD lens. I couldn't wear it......too much distortion.
    I prefer my Supercedes much better.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    While I am the first to admit that no single progressive lens design will work for everyone, thousands and thousands of people have been wearing SOLAOne and SOLAOne HD quite happily for years now. Keep in mind that SOLAOne even earned the OLA's prestigious Award of Excellence in Lens Design, and has remained a proven success in the field, so I would encourage you not discount the lens design based only on one experience.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    thanks for all reply..
    ya i agree that no single lens can fit all, also i find that SolaOne is a good lens but others manufacture do also produce some other good lens..

also 1 more question, if the HD technology is so good why not the 1.5 SolaOne also produce that way?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    While I am the first to admit that no single progressive lens design will work for everyone, thousands and thousands of people have been wearing SOLAOne and SOLAOne HD quite happily for years now. Keep in mind that SOLAOne even earned the OLA's prestigious Award of Excellence in Lens Design, and has remained a proven success in the field, so I would encourage you not discount the lens design based only on one experience.
    The Optiboarder was asking for feedback which is what I was doing.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The Optiboarder was asking for feedback which is what I was doing
    And I am sure that Yeap appreciated your feedback. I am also sorry to hear of your lackluster experience with the lens. It was certainly not my intention to detract from the value or credibility of your feedback.

But with thousands and thousands of satisfied wearers and a proven satisfaction rate of over 95% in three different clinical studies, it would be remiss of me not to provide my own feedback, when the only other post in this thread is "I couldn't wear it."

also 1 more question, if the HD technology is so good why not the 1.5 SolaOne also produce that way?
    When it was originally introduced, SOLAOne HD was positioned as the most premium lens available, so SOLAOne HD was introduced in a premium high-index material with a premium antireflection coating (Teflon).
    Last edited by Darryl Meister; 03-31-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    proven non-adapt rate of over 95% in three different clinical studies
    Gosh, Darryl. I really hope you mean an "adaptation rate" of over 95%, not a "non-adapt" rate!
    RT

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Good catch! Although it still beats a non-adapt rate of 100%. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

HD vs HDV

I assume the HDV is a totally different animal with the variable corridor length etc?

John

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl or someone else who may know. What about switching someone from a Hoya Wide to a Sola One HD? Good success possibility?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Look at Harry's nice contour plot of the SolaOne design:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34777

I'm impressed by the smooth symmetry, the extreme softness surrounding the progressive corridor, the not-too-steep gradient of astigmatism surrounding the near zone.

Yea, maybe not the best above the 180, and "eye turners" would be at a disadvantage.

All in all, there probably isn't a better intermediate/near intensive design in general purpose progressives.

I would suggest to Golf that he may just have been the wrong match for this design.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I assume the HDV is a totally different animal with the variable corridor length etc?
    Yes, SOLA HDv is based upon a similar lens design platform. Both designs are fully optimized across the lens for the wearer's prescription using a default position of wear. SOLA HDv offers a fully variable corridor length as well, with a minimum fitting height of 13 mm.

What about switching someone from a Hoya Wide to a Sola One HD? Good success possibility?
    Since HOYA GP Wide and SOLAOne progressive lenses both offer an extremely soft distance periphery combined with a relatively wide near zone, I would say that HOYA GP Wide wearers would be good candidates for SOLAOne.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Since HOYA GP Wide and SOLAOne progressive lenses both offer an extremely soft distance periphery combined with a relatively wide near zone, I would say that HOYA GP Wide wearers would be good candidates for SOLAOne.
    Or, as we Hoyans prefer to look at it, SOLAOne wearers would be good candidates for HOYA GP Wide!
    RT

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post

thank you.
    I've just read the tech brief on compensated Rx, very helpful, we were just discussing this in our staff meeting today!

The store i work at has been selling these HD's for about 3 weeks now and i've been ordering them pretty much every day!
    I had to laugh at the product name, it's genius.:)
    I'm sure you've noticed that the lenses come with a slip in the packet stating the compensated Rx. We've been filing these slips along with the dispense records. Pretty much essential to do this because if the patient comes back with problems you cant check the prescription without it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    thanks for the advice.. will surely keep it.. i have really neglected about it.. will try to voice this out during our staffs meeting..

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I had to order a pair of Sola One's for myself.

Rx: plano/+1.50 add OU.

Review:
    These things are wide, wide, wide for near at this power. Full-sheet-of-paper-at-desk-level-wide.

(While my intermediate accommodation is still studly) on the computer they seem very generous as well.

So, how's the distance zone? Let's say I'm recommending these for patients who use progressives at near only.

They're so near-oriented that I think many (not all) would find the distance sub-optimal.

Good, useful lens, though.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry to say i'm not PAL wearer, so i have no experience how the distortion or Rx progressing from distance to near. but that is what most the feedback from the wearer.. most of them like the near zone so much.. anyhow so far no complaint for the distance vision as well.. then i have to admit it is a good design for PAL.. i have tried it on a monovision patient and she love the vision so much..

Bad address email on file soniman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    And I am sure that Yeap appreciated your feedback. I am also sorry to hear of your lackluster experience with the lens. It was certainly not my intention to detract from the value or credibility of your feedback.

But with thousands and thousands of satisfied wearers and a proven satisfaction rate of over 95% in three different clinical studies, it would be remiss of me not to provide my own feedback, when the only other post in this thread is "I couldn't wear it."

When it was originally introduced, SOLAOne HD was positioned as the most premium lens available, so SOLAOne HD was introduced in a premium high-index material with a premium antireflection coating (Teflon).
    I interest teflon coating , I could not it.What is this? help me pls

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    They are way over priced in my opinion...much better, cost effective alternatives out there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by soniman View Post
    I interest teflon coating , I could not it.What is this? help me pls
    what is this I don't even

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    what is this I don't even
    HI Geirskogul - it's an anti-reflection coating, similar to the others on the market. It has the brand name "Teflon" and has been around for quite some time. There are newer Sola and Zeiss finishes which are nicer - but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) I think the Teflon has to be used on some materials or you risk a substandard finish in regards to durability.

Cheers
    Mary Sue

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, I know that. We sell SOLA and ZEISS products exclusively, so the only AR coating we have is Teflon. I was just poking fun at the lack of grammar and understanding in the quoted post.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    I was just poking fun at the lack of grammar and understanding in the quoted post.
    I think some Turkish people have some difficulty communication in English.

Thread Information