Thread: Revo lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Revo lenses

I just heard that Revo lenses are now going to be made at a Luxottica plant in Ireland and that the quality will not be the same as what is currently used. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this? If this is true, there are going to be a lot of loyal Revo wearers that will be quite upset.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Revo Lenses

I work for Luxottica.

I am pretty sure they don't have any lens plant in Ireland. As far as I know Revo lenses have been made in Germany since 1999 when we purchased them, just like our Persol glass lenses. We have not had one bit of trouble with them at all.

Where ever they are made they will be superior to the B & L lenses, just like the frames are better they those B & L made in Ireland, Mexico and the far east.

And the prices are less to the wholesale account, allowing for a much better markup.

Rep
    Last edited by rep; 12-10-2001 at 07:37 PM.

Thumbs down Revo Lenses

I am sure Luxottica wants their reps to believe that the Revo lens is unchanged. However the truth is the lens is no longer made in Germany. It is being made in Ireland the ones that are glass lenses.

Luxottica is destroying both Ray Ban and Revo. If you think this is untrue go to Sunglass Hut. Sunglass Hut gets the newest products first. They have new Revo styels in metal frames with spring hinges for under $120 at retail.

Half the Ray Ban styles are now plastic lenses. So much for B&L glass lenses.

Bye Bye Revo. Customers should buy Costa Del Mar

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey!

I just saw a Giani Versace frame in Sunglass Hut for $129 less 25% .
    That will be probably half of Wholesale

Nice HUH?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I used to work there. Versace hasn't been carried in years. The frame(unless taken in on exchange) has probably sat in the store for 5 years. Also, never been a fan of RayBan. As a co-worker remarked to me, "yeah, been around 60 years and they haven't improved on them yet". B&L lenses or not, I never thought they were terrific to look through. Revo of course, is all about pretension. The lenses are OK but the styles bite.
    The new poly-carbs that are coming out in both brands, specifically RB are saturating the market. Are shields ever going to be as big as the numerous styles of new RB's in multi colours make it seem?

Occupation

rep

I work for Luxottica.

ScottbrownCA you are entitled to your opinion but,

Luxottica has never had any quality issues, ever! You are implying because they cost less that the quality is less. Lux is known world wide to have the highest quality and at the lowest price. They reduced the prices twice since they purchased REVO in 1999. The most recent price reduction was this past August and the three O channel of trade has these products available now. Some models are priced at $120, Zyl frame without polarization and neutral lens color.

Think about it - if what you were saying is true there would be thousands of REVO customers who have lost or broken their sunglasses that would have noticed a difference with the new lenses and that has not happened.

Ray Ban has simply gone after a larger market. All Maui's and Oakley's are poly. All other Luxottica designer Sunglasses are ophthalmic plastic with 100% UV protection. Why not B & L ?

World wide sales of both brands are very strong and with the new product releases and lower prices they will be even stonger in 2002.

edKENdance regarding shields,

You will not be able to put a prescription in a lot of the new releases in 2002. Shields will be big and a whole host of other styles and product types that have never been seen for the 3 O channel of trade. Two reasons, LASIK and Contact Lens wearers.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I am pretty sure they don't have any lens plant in Ireland.
    Have they taken over the Sola plant there?

If anyone is looking for a source of "G15" style lenses, i know a legal source in the UK who i belive delivers to the usa. Theses are glass and a avaiable in semi-finished 2.00,4.25,6.25 & 8.25 bases also finished plano power.

Thumbs down Revo spelled backwards is Over!

Rep,

You gave me a good laugh. Wow someone at Luxottica has you fooled well.

I know someone who uses to work for Revo. I was a big Revo fan at one time. The original Revo lens never came from NASA. It was a story created to explain how the coatings worked when Mitch Ruda started Revo.

The original coatings blocked out IR 100% along with all UV. However when B&L bought Revo they decided to cut cost to high so they cut out some of the coatings.

Then when Luxottica bought Revo they cut the hydrophobic coating, and refuse to put AR coatings on all Revo lenses. Serengeti has it on all their products.

You seem to think Revo has not lost any business. The fact is Revo business is so bad that by the end of 2002 this should be a Sunglass Hut only brand.

You probably like other Lux reps do not know what is going on. Italy tells you anything you want to believe and you believe it.

Instead of responding to my message why not go into a Sunglass Hut and take a look at the Revo styles you. My local Revo rep from Luxottica did not even know these knew styles existed and they are not in the sample tray.

Oh and as far as Persol.... Surprise Surprise Surprise another brand bought and destroyed by the evil empire. Persol is now made with CR-39 lenses. Explain that.

Look Revo and Ray Ban are losing ground. This was proved when I was told Oakley was not going to be carried at Sunglass Hut and should increase my assortment. Then Sunglass Hut sales were so bad they had to go crawling back to Oakley to get customers in their stores because no one wanted the Luxottica brands.

By the way I do not carry Maui Jim because those jerks will not open my account but they are both glass and polycarbonate. If you think Ray Ban is making their lenses out of Poly to appeal to the Oakley customer they are missing the point. People buy Oakley for 2 reasons style and the "O" on the frame.

Hey Rep why not get your resume together and work for a company not tied to ..... Well we all know where they got their money.

I will be glad when Costa Del Mar rules America.

Occupation

ScottbrownCa

Glad you had a good laugh. you sure sound like you need one to me.

Chill out and have a Merry Christmas

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About Versace!
    Are you shure that sunglass hut dont cary Versace?
    they had a few styles and i saw it in their 2 stores in the same mall.
    the styles are quite old!
    Who knows!

I am persanaly dont care what they sell!
    I can always sell something else.

How is their mark up price structure works?

Do they discount on everyday basis?

Do they run sales?

Maybe we should buy frames from Sunglass Hut!?

PS I just bought a real Fred sunglass frame for $40 ftom Factory eyeglass outlet store in Brooklyn!

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Exclamation

scottbrownca

where do you get your information!

It seems to me ! For someone who thinks so little about lux you spend a lot of time tracking what they do!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, Who is going to test Revo new and old lenses?

I have a pair of old ones to donate!

Bad address email on file

Scott?

Scott Brown

First let me say I work for Maui Jim. If a Maui Jim rep would not open your account I am sure there was a good reason.

Let me also say I use to work for Revo, Ray Ban and Luxottica. Mitch Ruda is a genius that has done work for NASA in the past. Some of the technologies he developed while working at NASA were used in the making of the original Revo lens. I am not sure what Revo business is like today. At one time it was considered one of the best lenses in the world. I find it hard to believe there are plastic lenses in Revo Sunglasses at Sunglass Hut. Luxottica would not be that stupid to strip Revo of is heritage. Maybe you thought you were looking at a Revo and it was another brand. Luxottica uses the same exact frames in different brands. For example a frame may be used for E. Armani, Killer Loop and Revo. Killer Loop is Polycarbonate so maybe you thought you were looking at a Revo and it was really a Killer Loop.

Persol has always been a glass lens and there is no way Luxottica would make them in CR-39. If I were wrong I would be very surprised.

You seem to have a problem with all vendors except Costa Del Mar. You may not be a Luxottica fan but you have to give them credit for what they have accomplished.

I do not think you gain anything by trashing vendors. If you are so upset with Maui Jim and Luxottica then just do not buy these brands. There are plenty of brands out there to choose from today.

Where do you get you information Scott?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Revo has lowered the price structure and has introduced polycarb lenses. Persol has some new styles in CR-39, as have Maui as I'm sure you're aware introduced PC in the sport series. Heck, so has Rayban. What's wrong with Polycarb in the first place? It's lighter and more impact resistant. It scratches easier but we're in the biz. We know how to take care of lenses.

Tell me why there is such an outcry against polcarb. Tell me that there is a noticeable diffrerence in optical clarity when I can't see one.

The main dislike I have towards Revo is the apparent secrecy concerning the lens. They wont tell you about light transmission levels and dance around the issue by comparing the lens to a graphic equalizer. I'm sorry but thats garbage.

Luxottica = ****

WOW! You mean Revo is made in polycarbanate? Persol is made in CR-39? Did I not say that already? I guess the Maui rep that use to work for Luxottica does not keep up with his business.

I have no problems with polycarbonate but I am not going to buy a front wheel drive Porsche over a rear wheel drive one. You expect certain products to be made a cretain way.

Happy Holidays

Occupation

scottbrownCA

I work for Luxottica

Your favorite Costa del Mar is available in Glass, Polly and Plastic so what's the beef if other manufacturers make their product in all three materials?

Lenscrafters and Sunglass Hut are Luxottica's test markets for a variety of products including Sunglasses. It does not mean that the retail and 3 O channels of trade will ever see those test products. Your rep should have known that.

Lens Crafters is also the graveyard for products that didn't make it in the other channels. Sergio T, Genny, Byblos, Ungaro for a few examples.

Why do you feel you have to attack everyone who post to this thread?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Much has changed since this thread was started and Revo has been sold by Luxottica. They are now owned by Sequential Brands and their lenses are made by B. Robinson. Agreed that the poly lenses and cheap frames that were introduced under Lux were nothing like the original Revos. Revo still has glass lenses available in certain styles. They have, in fact, recently re-introduced their H2O lenses (in blue only and all glass) for their "1985" collection. Anyone have any thoughts on B. Robinson lenses. If they have re-created the original Revo lenses, are they the same as the original quality? Could they be better, given the advances in technology since the 1980s?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did not see the H2O glass lenses but the plastic is basic....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How far Rēvo has fallen. I was there at the tail end, just before Luz utterly destroyed the brand. It was like watching your favorite dog run out in the street and get hit by a truck. Then get hit by another truck, two cars, and some kid with his R/C dune buggy just because he wanted to be a little jerk.

They were, at one point, widely considered by most, the pinnacle of sun lens quality and design. Mitch must be rolling in his grave these days...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The new ones from Menrad seem decent to me...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Had a bright, sunny day with a lot of glare (which I am extremely sensitive to) yesterday, so I did a little testing. I compared my vintage Revos with a pair of the current Revo Crystal lenses. Couldn't do an exact compare because the base lens colors are different. The vintage lenses are amber / brown, while the newer ones are grey lenses. Lens color aside, the lenses are pretty comparable, IMHO. The information on the Revo website indicates that the newer lenses still have Revo's proprietary Light Management System, Digitally Polarized Plus technology, and layers of "high-tech, performance mirror coatings based on NASA lens technology..." So, while the quality of Revos may have declined under the Oakley / Luxottica ownership, it definitely seems like they quality has been restored under the current ownership and manufacture by B. Robinson. Nothing will ever compare the the intricately detailed frames we saw with the original Revos or the beauty of the original Stealth lens color, but the lens quality seems to be back up to snuff.

Thread Information