Thread: Back that Thang Up!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back that Thang Up!

Today is my dear bride's birthday. It should be a joyous day filled with laughter and celebration!

IT IS NOT!

I have to be the pillar of strength for my dear bride. I have to hold her tightly as she sobs.

Today is not a happy day.

Our computer crashed over the weekend. Today, she was told that they had to replace the hard drive-but they didn't back-up the old drive. They assumed that she had a back-up. We did not! She told the original fellow that she did not. Luckily, they did not discard the original drive.

Today is not a happy day.

This evening, I get a call from *Skippy*, that he has tried for hours to save ANYTHING from the old drive with zero success. He was almost in tears. He said that we can have the original drive back, something that they don't do when it is a warranty replacement. My wife's pleas to save the stuff on the hard drive led him to bend the rules. He said our only chance of recovery is to send it a clean room, CSI-type outfit, that specializes in data recovery. He said it will cost a small fortune, and we may not get anything back.

Today is not a good day.

I passed my dear Birthday Bride on the way home from work. She was on her way to church to lead the choir in practice. She called me on my cell, sobbing.....so much sobbing. All that I could make out was how crushed she was about the photos that are lost. Not all of the photos, just the ones of our annual anniversary get-a-away weekends. Those were the ones that crushed her the most. Now I am sobbing at her heartbreak. What a lousy birthday.

Today is not a good day.

So, I beg each and every one of you to back-up your computers. Save what is so valuable. Go do it.....right now. We knew better. We all do. But, we were lazy and ignorant.

Back that Thang Up!

NOW!!!!
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-19-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Dear Fezz;

Sorry for your loss. I don't feel your pain because I do backup - I have learned that lesson from the ones that didn't. That includes a musician friend scoring a movie that didn't backup and had the hard drive die. However he did find one of those genius places that for about $400 were able to get the stuff out of the dead drive. Don't give up, it may not be lost. BTW, the photos wouldn't happen to still be on the compact flash in the camera???? Or perhaps you emailed copies to family/friends and they will be willing to send you back a copy of the file???

Lulubelle

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Or posted on a web page.
    Sorry to hear about your terrible horrible no good very bad day.
    In truth, if the drive still spins, there's a chance it can be recovered, but it's difficult and requires professionals. Hopefully Skippy hasn't ruined any chance of recovery by trying to write anything to the drive.

I make complete drive images every so often and I have four drives in my computer, two for two operating systems, one to install programs to and to put miscellaneous games, and one to contain my image backups. So If my OS drive dies, the programs are still intact on a different drive and I have my image backup, if the program disk dies, I got the image backups, if the backup drive fails, replace it and do new backups.
    Also copy My Documents (including pictures) to each drive every so often.Or you can burn a lot of photos to a backup CD.

So if a disaster strikes,at worst I lose a couple of weeks worth of stuff.

Computers with one drive should be upgraded.

I use Acronis True Image 12 for making your backups(previous versions don't work with SATA drives. You make a boot cd, boot to it, make your backup, then reboot. Takes about a half hour to back up about 30 Gb of drive data. Usual blah blah about not being connected to Acronis.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another lesson I learned recently....

I have two drives in my computer. I had one small (40g) drive (drive C) that was part of the original build from years ago.. and about 2 years ago installed a larger 120g that I made into 4 partitions, installing windows on one of those I labled at the time E: since the small one had some issues and sounded like it might die. Everything windows and my documents wise has been saved to E for the past 2 years.

So.. fast forward to a few weeks ago when I made some major upgrades and using the same drives.. realized windows needed a fresh install. Thinking, well since most of my stuff is on the larger drive among the 4 partitions.. and I couldn't get windows to operate outside of safe mode.. nor would it let me make the changes necessary in safe mode.. I took my husband's advice and formatted C: for a nice clean new copy of windows to allow myself to then clean up the rest of the mess..

Turns out all this time.. (2 years) the drive I thought was the 1st partition on my large 120g drive, was actually my little drive.. so C and E were switched..

There went my last 2 years worth of MPH papers, poetry and pictures..

and my norton backup didn't have the right file.. since it was mislabled due to the who naming issue.

I have since been told that sometimes when you use Cable Select, that the naming can get sketchy.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I learned that lesson also. All our vacation pics were only on the computer when it died. Fortunately, the computer dude got them back. Now everything is on a flash drive or cd, which the bride handles here, as I am comtuter illiterate.

Sorry man, I hope you can get them out of the "box" on an opticians salary.

PS. Tell your wife Happy Birthday from me.:(

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How devastating! I have also lost a great deal to the Blue Screen of Death syndrome. I feel your pain.

Just open a nice bottle of wine and spend a quiet evening remembering the moments between you two - maybe make it a custom - and relive the experiences those pictures captured for an evening.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    How devastating! I have also lost a great deal to the Blue Screen of Death syndrome. I feel your pain.

Just open a nice bottle of wine and spend a quiet evening remembering the moments between you two - maybe make it a custom - and relive the experiences those pictures captured for an evening.

I believe Fezz ran a Mac. Even they can fail.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I believe Fezz ran a Mac. Even they can fail.

Mac attack!

Yes..........even Macs can hiccup.

UGH!

Thanks for the support folks!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::shiner::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    As a Mac user I do feel your pain. We are so accustomed to flawless performance that these events are more upsetting. Don't give up, I'm sure you can find a geek that can get the info out of the hard drive. And wouldn't an external drive for backing up make a lovely birthday gift!!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :( Thanks for the reminder. I hope yours can be saved somehow.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Caught a 47 pound salmon a while back, wife takes picture of me and it, then loses the pic on the hard drive. Bad news... no picture of the biggest catch of a lifetime...good news... no photo evidence to contradict me when telling lies about how big it really was.
    (but who needs to embellish a 47 pound monster of the deep.)
    <{{{{<

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UGH!

I am beginning to think that *Skippy* may have done more harm than good by continuing to try and retrieve data!

:cheers::cheers::shiner::cheers::cheers::angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    And wouldn't an external drive for backing up make a lovely birthday gift!!!
    Check!

Got one.

Should I wrap it?

:cheers::shiner:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I back up everything in MyDocs to two seperate external WB hard-drives (one stays at home and one travels).

Started this after losing about 50 unique powerpoints and 1,000s of images from a crash several years ago.

Now if I could just remember to back up files when I'm actually working on them- lost about 3 hours of work just the other day when PowerPoint threw a hissy fit over a video imbed!
    :angry:

Occupation
    Check!

Got one.

Should I wrap it?
    Yes and include a gift certificate to the spa - your bride needs some pampering after such a stressful event and you are going to the Un-Expo!!! I'm thinking a few brownie points in advance will do wonders.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The HD on my pc at work crashed and burned one day, the one that had YEARS of Optidrill files and information I'd compiled stored in it! I was beyond miserable, not to mention that I had to hand-drill a dozen rimless jobs the next 3 days. Luckily, the b/f was able to squeeze out all of the info on it by putting it in the freezer overnight. Somehow, it worked, and our data was saved.

Invest in an external hard drive. They have their own power supplies and only connect via USB. So if your motherboard fries, you can just unplug your ex-HD and when you get everything reinstalled, plug it back in and "Voila!", all of your pictures, files and whatnot are right there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    Invest in an external hard drive. They have their own power supplies and only connect via USB. So if your motherboard fries, you can just unplug your ex-HD and when you get everything reinstalled, plug it back in and "Voila!", all of your pictures, files and whatnot are right there.
    What does something like that cost?? Where do you get an external HD?? **sorry for all the questions...I'm pretty computer illiterate!:o

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    What does something like that cost?? Where do you get an external HD?? **sorry for all the questions...I'm pretty computer illiterate!:o
    About $100-150 at Best Buy or similar places. Just plug it into a USB port and copy away!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Check!

Got one.

Should I wrap it?

:cheers::shiner:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A
    Dude and Dudette, Fry's got an External 1 Tera Byte (1,000 GB) drive for $99.99 you can't beat that.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/583271...ory%20Pod:Pod1

Another $30.00 and you can get 1.5 TB (1,500 GB)
    http://shop1.frys.com/product/5806453
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 03-26-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    I back up everything in MyDocs to two seperate external WB hard-drives (one stays at home and one travels).

Started this after losing about 50 unique powerpoints and 1,000s of images from a crash several years ago.

Now if I could just remember to back up files when I'm actually working on them- lost about 3 hours of work just the other day when PowerPoint threw a hissy fit over a video imbed!
    :angry:
    Pete,

Powerpoint has a setting where it automatically backs up the file your working on every 10 to 15 minutes don't remember if you had to turn in on or not but it's there. Search for file recovery in the help section of powerpoint.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Caught a 47 pound salmon a while back, wife takes picture of me and it, then loses the pic on the hard drive. Bad news... no picture of the biggest catch of a lifetime...good news... no photo evidence to contradict me when telling lies about how big it really was.
    (but who needs to embellish a 47 pound monster of the deep.)
    <{{{{<
    47 pound must have been huge. This was ONLY a 45 pounder caught by my grandson during the fishing trip we took him on for his HS graduation. Yes, that is my great looking grandson in the picture. The captain called the fish a Jack Resolute. Didn't eat it.

Diane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    That is one good looking kid with an ugly looking fish!!

Thread Information