Thread: Indian Languages

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up Indian Languages

Cindy, here comes first episod..

India has a civilization over 5000 Yrs Old. One of the oldest and the most perfect language on the earth is Sanskrit. It is perfect in the sense it has a mathematical and scientific structure of Grammer and a huge vocabulary and uses around 56 phonatic alphabets. Unfortunatly, this language is no more in use !!
    Mainly because by the self proclaimed Upper Cast people, there was prohibition to use Sanskrit by" non their casts" for almost 2 milleniums.
    Contemporary languges spoken and written in India are basically originated from this very, Sanskrit, the Language of the Gods.
    In 1947, the country was divided in Pakistan and Secular Democratic India. There was a big and landmark restucturing of internal states which formerly were ruled by hundreds of Kings, Maharajas and so. The states were structured according to Languages spoken. From north to south here are the states and their main languages:
    Jammu & Kashmir : Hindi,Kashmiri & Urdu
    Himachal Pradesh: Hindi, Himacahli and Kangdi
    Punjab:Punjabi & Hindi
    Haryana : Haryanavi, Punjabi and Hindi.
    Rajsthan : Hindi, Marwadi
    Gujrath: Gujrathi ,Hindi
    Mahrashtra: Marathi,( My MT) Hindi
    Karntaka : Kannad
    Goa: Konkani ( My mother in law tung!) and Portugees. As They stayed here till 1960.
    Keral : Mallyalam
    Tamilnadu: Tamil
    AndhraPradesh : Telgu
    MadhyaPradesh : Hindi and it's 50 versions!!
    Uttar Pradesh: Hindi, Urdu and their crosses
    Orisa/ Udisa: Oriya ,Bangla
    West Bengal : Bengali
    Assam : Assami and it's 5/6 variants.
    Arunachal Pradesh , NagaLand, Kohima, Manipur; and other Eastern Sates : I do not know names but every state has it's own language.
    Hindi is understood by most of the Indians.
    There are a few ilands and union terrytories having French and other native languges used.
    The scripts used by Marathi, Hindi and Sanskrit is known as Dev Nagari. All other languges have their own scripts which are not easy to understand.
    There are some Languifanatic Political forces which resists to call Hindi as National Language.
    Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil have a wealth of Literature Treasure.
    Now a days, though, no body speaks any language in it's pur form. I speak "MarHinglish" !!
    The regional, national part of what we speak looses to international languge as we move from smaller place to bigger one.

Ouuf.. 2 much for 2 day..

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello sande,

That's very intresting. Keep going.

Darris C.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Isn't English the "official" language of government and widely spoken by the 250,000,000 members of your "middle-class"?

Now, you can start educating us on your pantheon of gods; Ganish (sp?) is my favorite.

Then dance. Aren't there a significant number of regional dances as well?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fascinating! Now, are these all actually separate languages you've listed, or based on the Sanskrit simply regional dialects?

Curious, how many of these do you have a working knowledge of?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Shri Ganesh

Originally posted by Jim G
    Isn't English the "official" language of government and widely spoken by the 250,000,000 members of your "middle-class"?

Now, you can start educating us on your pantheon of gods; Ganish (sp?) is my favorite.

Then dance. Aren't there a significant number of regional dances as well?
    You have added a couple of zeros more than actual I suppose!
    Official language is not English. I think , in supreme court they still use English. But High courts and regional Ones .. there is option and preference to Native Language.

Ganesh is the lord of wisdom. Every ritual first prays the Lord Ganesh and then starts may it be Baptisma or a 13th day after Funeral . Even ther is a Proverb.. To make "Shri Ganesh" meaning to start/ initiate some thing .

Yes, India is full of dances, dancers and rhythums. One could have structured the states according to Dances rather than Language in 1947. We would not had to dance on the politicians tunes only!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Some of them..

Originally posted by Cindy Forsyth
    Fascinating! Now, are these all actually separate languages you've listed, or based on the Sanskrit simply regional dialects?

Which I can undertsnad 30-50 % ... Gujrathi. Punjabi.Konkani.
    5% .. Bengali. All others can be understood if the Transcription is made.

One small correction.. Urdu, the world's finest and soft language is not originated from the Sanskrit. It makes you feel that you are the only Important person in the world. It treats you with great respect. It has one of it's one style of poetry.. the Gazal. The greatest Gazal Poet, Shayar , is Mirza Galib. Wait till I translet some of his Sher-o-Shayari.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Smilie Mirza Galib

The lover saying to his Darling..

We 'lived' on your promise
    as we thought of it as 'lie'
    If we could trust yous
    happiness could make us 'die'!

MIRZA Ghalib

In Urdu, as I told, to be utmost respectful, use of "I" (Main) and "you' (Tum)is considered as derogatory and instead, "We" (Hum) and Aap ( Yous !!) are used, so, try to understand the meaning of "We" in above ('Sher') Stanza as per Urdu style.!! Don't consider it as Plural of I and you.
    Last edited by sandeepgoodbole; 12-13-2001 at 03:15 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

more @ India

INDIA

Region: Asia

Population: 1,014,003,817 (July 2000 Estimate)

Area Total: 3,287,590 km2

Area Land: 2,973,190 km2

Coast Line: 7,000 km

Capital: New Delhi

Climate: Varies from tropical monsoon in south to temperate in north.

Languages: Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi, Sanskrit

Holiday: Anniversary of the Republic, 26 January (1950)

Sindhi is the language which I furgot to mention earlier as I was emphesising on Lingustic strucutre of Indian states. In 1947, Sindh along with 50 % of Punjab and 30 % of Kashmir was torn off from us to creat Muslim State Pakistan, entirely formed as a result of the hatered towards Hindus. There are more Muslims in India even today than the population in of Pakistan. Unfortunatly, Pakistan could never offer Democracy, Peace to anybody including it's own citizens .

:

Average Daily Temperature

January: 13.9°C / 57°F

July: 31.1°C / 88°F

Annual Rainfall: 660.4mm / 26"
    Click for more at CountryWatch.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Mirza Galib

Originally posted by sandeepgoodbole

In Urdu, as I told, to be utmost respectful, use of "I" (Main) and "you' (Tum)is considered as derogatory and instead, "We" (Hum) and Aap ( Yous !!) are used, so, try to understand the meaning of "We" in above ('Sher') Stanza as per Urdu style.!! Don't consider it as Plural of I and you.
    Seems rather confusing to say the least-- should the plural form be necessary, would it just automatically be assumed given the context or does the language accomodate with other words?

So given your reply re languages, I am assuming they are all similar in structure, being derived from the Sanskrit? You've mentioned you can understand all if the 'transcription' is made; you are obviously not referring to 'translation'.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow Re: Re: Mirza Galib

Seems rather confusing to say the least-- should the plural form be necessary, would it just automatically be assumed given the context or does the language accomodate with other words?

So given your reply re languages, I am assuming they are all similar in structure, being derived from the Sanskrit? You've mentioned you can understand all if the 'transcription' is made; you are obviously not referring to 'translation'.
    Plural form is the essensce. It makes the language a very respect giving and respect demading. I may not be able to convey it.
    It's like..saying Your Majesty, to evrybody including ourselves.
    You can try Welcoming your Indian customers by saying
    Aap Kaise Ho ? You how are = How are you ?

To great extent we will be undertstansding other languages on transcription.
    I was compairing Transcription with Speaking and listening.
    It's very difficult to understand when you just hear .
    Accent and the styles are so different that even one has to be very careful to properly understand my own mother tong talked by a man living 13 districts away from me. but still, transletion will be necessory to convey the meanings 100%.
    Also, the context may be totally unknown as the geography changes a lot. Vocabulry is also different, but many words are common, so, one can make out what's being described.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow Shri Ganeshay Namh:

Originally posted by Jim G

Meaning, I worship Lord Ganesh.

Chek out :http://www.hindunet.org/god/Gods/ganesh/
    http://www.cix.co.uk/~ganesh/
    http://www.indiancultureonline.com/M...ml/ganesha.htm

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow See you again..

If you want to you say good bye and see you again to your Indian friends, you should say, Phir Milenge.!!

So, Cindy, Phir Milenge with some other phrase..!!

Thread Information