Thread: Is anybody watching the TV show "24"??? Fill me in!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Is anybody watching the TV show "24"??? Fill me in!

Okay, for some reason I forgot to tape "24" on Tuesday when I went out for the night. "No problem," I thought, "there is always a re-run of the weekly episode on Friday evening."

You guessed it- about 11pm on Friday, I realized I had forgotten to watch the rerun! Aurrrgh! What happens from 4am to 5am on 24? Anyone care to fill me in so I won't be totally lost this Tuesday?

Thanks!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie You're in Luck!

I must admit that I am addicted to 24. You didn't miss anything last week cause they haven't aired the 4-5am episode. Last week the Billboard Music awards were on Fox on Tuesday night, thus no 24...

It will resume this week though.

Fox has a pretty good site devoted to this show, with an episode guide, character Bio's and forums..

http://www.fox.com/24/home.html

Cassandra

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thank you, Jubilee! Whew... I was watching the teaser for this week's episode and I thought "Wow, the last hour must've been really boring- cause they're still working out the same stuff from two weeks ago!"

Happily, the TV gods have smiled on me and chose to overlook my forgetfulness by pre-empting the show on the one night I wasn't able to watch it!

Now, as to the show itself, is this an interesting format or what? I like the camerawork (how they split the screen up to show different people at the same moment in time), and the whole concept of "events happening in real time."
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I haven't watched this show yet. What's it about, and why do you like it so much?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Howdy Steve,

I'm not an avid watcher of the show but the episodes I've caught are pretty good. It is a semi-futuristic show about a police agency and some serious shinanigans going on involving someone on the inside. They're trying to solve some murders that have some intresting ties to each other and the entire show is based on a 24 hour time period, each show being an hour in real time so to speak, hence the title "24." 24 hiours in a day so there are 24 episodes.

I can't wait for the next series "Another 24" :)

Darris C.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This show is like crack cocaine!! It is soooo addictive! It is by far the best show on tv right now. It is so suspenseful and innovative with the split screen stuff. It may be hard to get into now, but it would be worth it to try!

This is an unbiased oppinion from a 31 year old woman who actually doesn't have a thing for Kieffer Sutherland:bbg:

C
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gotta Love it!

Its funny cause I first watched it over at my sisters. The pilot came on and we thought it sounded interesting, so we watched it. The next episode came on and I missed it, then flipping channels I came across it on FX. Now I race home to make sure I don't miss anything...It is almost outpacing ER as my favorite show. Currently these are the only two shows that I CAN'T MISS...

For those who haven't kept up with it, I would recommend checking out the website. Basically the show revolves around Jack (Keifer Sutherland) who works for the ficticious CTU -Counter Terrorist Unit. The time frame is around the presidential elections and the agency is informed of a threat against Senator David Palmer, the first African American candidate who stands a chance.

Jack is informed that there is a suspected leak from inside the agency and that his immediate boss wants Jack to find out who it is.

In the meantime his daughter had sneaked out of the house and went missing with a friend and ends up getting kidnapped. It is alluded to that it is linked to the planned assasination attempt on Palmer.

The mystery is trying to figure out who the mole is and how to pull everything off that needs to get done. Do to the past history of Jack's including turning in some dirty agents ...there is a lack of trust between him and other members of the agency. And there is also the contention at home..

The camera work enhance the effect of the hourly episodes by the pans it does, along with the split screen effect of seeing what all the major players are doing at one moment. Both the writing adn the camera shots are more like snippets..taking real brief glances at what is going on with each of the players. The timing is done in sequence so that if they are focusing on David Palmer at 12:20 am, you won't see what is going on with Jack at that same moment. So you don't see the whole point of view from anyone's perspective.The writing is great, not revealing too much and certainly does well enough to create a dozen or more "conspiracy theories". For some rather fun reading if you are a fan, you oughta check out the forums and the threads related to who various people think the mole is...

Check out the website if you want more info. The episode guides are very good so even if you want to join in midstream you won't be behind...

Cassandra

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm just waiting to see if anyone ever sleeps during the show! I love the split screen effects, but there also seem to be moments when another effect is used, sort of like a "quasi-slowmo" moment or two thrown in here and there (either that, or I've acquired ARMD at age 33). :drop:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information