CT Opticians Association held its annual holiday meeting on Wed. Dec. 5th. We had Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation executive director, George Salpietro, speak.

I feel bad for the folks that could not make it! George is blind and gave his account of how his personal guide dog turned his life around after losing his vision at the age of 40. What a motivational and entertaining evening it was. I would encourage any state society to try to invite this man who represents this great organization to come speak at one of their meetings.

It really opened our eyes to how helpful these guide dogs are to blind people. It allows them to regain independance and mobility. George actually travels the country, giving presentations,with the assistance of his faithful companion. He has some really amazing stories of his travels!

I would like to thank Skip Rivard, COA executive director, for inviting such a wonderful organization to enlighten us. The ABO also recognized this presentation as one hour of continuing education.

-Brendan Walsh