Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some ideas on school notes/excuses...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need some ideas on school notes/excuses...

Hi guys and gals!

Do you guys ever get asked for a written excuse to take to the school when parents come in with their kids during school hours? What do you do, do you handwrite one or do you have a form of some kind??

I've had 2 parents ask me for a note today...keep in mind I don't have a doctor here, so I don't have any RX pads or anything, so I just wrote a note by hand and stamped it with my address stamp...felt kinda "cheesy" to me! :hammer: So, I typed up a "form" that I could fill in with the name and date as needed. That seems kinda "cheesy," too! :hammer:

Any ideas??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hi guys and gals!

Do you guys ever get asked for a written excuse to take to the school when parents come in with their kids during school hours? What do you do, do you handwrite one or do you have a form of some kind??

I've had 2 parents ask me for a note today...keep in mind I don't have a doctor here, so I don't have any RX pads or anything, so I just wrote a note by hand and stamped it with my address stamp...felt kinda "cheesy" to me! :hammer: So, I typed up a "form" that I could fill in with the name and date as needed. That seems kinda "cheesy," too! :hammer:

Any ideas??
    Personally, if it's not for an eye exam, I won't write a note at all.... kids can pick out glasses, get adjustments, etc after school hours, there's no reason to pull them out for something non-medical. If it's for the exam, I state the time of the appointment and what time the child left. It's amazing what people will try to pull off. We had one guy tell us that if his work called to check on his appointment (which was at 6pm) to lie to the office and say he was there... he took off the entire day of work for a 6pm appointment. Oh, he works 9-5

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, peregrinerose...

I think that's why I'm having a hard time with coming up with a note...if you read it, it sounds down-right silly...'so and so was in our office today for an eyeglass fitting. Signed, Heather A :hammer:' I mean, what else can I say? Maybe I should just give them the note, and let the school decide if it's a reasonable excuse or not...

I have saturday hours to try to be as convenient for them as possible, but I'm sure there are times when my hours are just plain inconvenient, and I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a note if they ask for one.

** Just for the record: I have been known to WWAAYY over-think things, and this, ladies and gentlemen, may be one of those times! LOL! :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's how I think of it.... a patient doesn't go to a retail store, say to buy shoes for their kid, and ask the clerk for an excuse for school. Maybe something along the lines of 'we can only offer excuses for scheduled appointments'?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, peregrinerose...

I think that's why I'm having a hard time with coming up with a note...if you read it, it sounds down-right silly...'so and so was in our office today for an eyeglass fitting. Signed, Heather A :hammer:' I mean, what else can I say? Maybe I should just give them the note, and let the school decide if it's a reasonable excuse or not...

I have saturday hours to try to be as convenient for them as possible, but I'm sure there are times when my hours are just plain inconvenient, and I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a note if they ask for one.

** Just for the record: I have been known to WWAAYY over-think things, and this, ladies and gentlemen, may be one of those times! LOL! :D

We have a form and fill it in, but we are also Ophthalmologist, I can't see the reason to pull them out if there just getting fit for glasses or contacts.
    P.S. Heather A
    I really love the kitty Picture.:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    Here's how I think of it.... a patient doesn't go to a retail store, say to buy shoes for their kid, and ask the clerk for an excuse for school. Maybe something along the lines of 'we can only offer excuses for scheduled appointments'?
    They're not shoes. An optician in NC is a licensed professional, your refereing to the child as "the patient", eyewear is classified by the FDA as a medical device, many ODs consider a refraction that generates the prescription as a medical procedure. All signs point to write the note, let the school decide, personally I wouldn't pull my child outta school for that but that's a parents decision.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does it matter to some of you if a kid has an excuse for school, or is absent in general? We use a small pad that simply has the date, the child's name, and an area to briefly explain why we saw them. The school can sort out whether or not that's good enough for an excused absence.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Why does it matter to some of you if a kid has an excuse for school, or is absent in general? We use a small pad that simply has the date, the child's name, and an area to briefly explain why we saw them. The school can sort out whether or not that's good enough for an excused absence.
    Thank you for this short piece of sanity...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post

Double Ditto!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    They're not shoes. An optician in NC is a licensed professional, your refereing to the child as "the patient", eyewear is classified by the FDA as a medical device, many ODs consider a refraction that generates the prescription as a medical procedure. All signs point to write the note, let the school decide, personally I wouldn't pull my child outta school for that but that's a parents decision.
    Unfortunately in PA, the 'optician' could be someone pulled off the Walmart register 10 minutes previously, and I do WM fill in work (here now, actually). Unless there's a scheduled appointment, we won't fill out an excuse form.

Edited to add... it doesn't matter if it's ME working with the kid... not there for an appointment/exam, no excuse.
    Last edited by peregrinerose; 03-12-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Double Ditto!
    I triple ditto this.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Double Ditto!
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I triple ditto this.:cheers:
    Ditto, infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi guys and gals!

Any ideas??
    Is it possible that the note is in response to the schools request that the child see an eye care professional after failing a vision screening?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Is it possible that the note is in response to the schools request that the child see an eye care professional after failing a vision screening?
    That's a good thought!

I'm not sure, in this case, they didn't really specify...the first parent brought her daughter in to pick up her glasses and asked for a note to give to the school. The second parent came in to pick out glasses for herself and her son, and asked for a note to give to the school.

Isn't it funny how things like this will happen...I mean, I can't remember the last time I had someone ask me for a note, then today I get 2 different people asking for a note on the same day! :)

I don't mind giving out a note, I was just hoping to give something that looked a little more uniform.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Not where I live in NC. Separate form they send for a failed screening. All the schools here require the notes also.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 03-12-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarify

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To whom it may concern: Little _____ 's mom decided to come in during school hours to get his glasses. She could probably have brought him in outside school hours but this way she got to use this as an excuse for hime to miss school and probably for her to get off from work.

Signed

_ _ _ ____

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    To whom it may concern: Little _____ 's mom decided to come in during school hours to get his glasses. She could probably have brought him in outside school hours but this way she got to use this as an excuse for hime to miss school and probably for her to get off from work.

Signed

_ _ _ ____

Soon to be implemented in my office!!!

:cheers:
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In your office

Come on folks, they are doing us a favor by coming to our offices. Why make it difficult for them? We've all been complaining of internet sales, etc....In a downturn economy, why make them go somewhere else.

Here's an idea. The parents brought in their child to YOUR office to make a purchase of professionally fitted eyewear. They are doing business with you. I believe that a form for such would be appropriate.

I agree with KStraker, that the school can decide if it's appropriate. A form stating the purpose of their visit and time is appropriate.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane:

Why lie? If the child couldn't see well enough to preform in school, then a trip to get the glasses during school hours might be justified. But if the patient had other glasses and this is just an update, or the glasses weren't needed badly enough to impede school function. Then by furnishing such a note you are being a facilliator. At least if your office is open outside school hours.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    Unfortunately in PA, the 'optician' could be someone pulled off the Walmart register 10 minutes previously, and I do WM fill in work (here now, actually). Unless there's a scheduled appointment, we won't fill out an excuse form.

Edited to add... it doesn't matter if it's ME working with the kid... not there for an appointment/exam, no excuse.
    It doesn't make the time spent with the person any less valid. I agree the state of affairs is deplorable but a reason for an absence remains the same. It's a good idea to let the school hash out the details as the techers there are also professionals.

Oh and you knwo I still got love for ya. :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Come on folks, they are doing us a favor by coming to our offices. Why make it difficult for them? We've all been complaining of internet sales, etc....In a downturn economy, why make them go somewhere else.

Here's an idea. The parents brought in their child to YOUR office to make a purchase of professionally fitted eyewear. They are doing business with you. I believe that a form for such would be appropriate.

I agree with KStraker, that the school can decide if it's appropriate. A form stating the purpose of their visit and time is appropriate.

Diane
    Well said.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just write out the note and don't worry about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't lie

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Diane:

Why lie? If the child couldn't see well enough to preform in school, then a trip to get the glasses during school hours might be justified. But if the patient had other glasses and this is just an update, or the glasses weren't needed badly enough to impede school function. Then by furnishing such a note you are being a facilliator. At least if your office is open outside school hours.

Chip
    I never said to lie. That's the problem here, sometimes. Sometimes some of you guys read what you want and not what's written. I said to give a note.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Well said.
    Thanks Harry.:D

Diane

Occupation
    Do you have a computer in your dispensing area?

You could create a document template and then just customize it and print as the need arises.

:cheers:

Thread Information