Thread: 8 out of 10 women

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

8 out of 10 women

The other day I was channel surfing and I happened to pass by a Victoria's Secret Special on the Fashion Channel. Now, I am not one who usually even surfs that high in the channels just because I already know whats up there and I am frankly not interested. But, as any half respecting normal guy would, when Isaw Lingerie...I stayed there for a while. But in that few minutes of visually stimulating television, I heard an alarming statistic. Did you know that 8 out of every 10 wmen are in the wrong sized bra? How can this be? Of all the women I know, 80% are walking around in underwear that doesnt fit. Shouldnt this be more important to women? Or is it that hard to actually get the right size? I will admit that I have not done anything to confirm this statistic and everything I can think of to provide proof will get me in some sort of trouble. I merely offer this perplexing phenomina in my own startled state.

Night Train

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Outerwear, as well as underwear are overated.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Hold on now... he has a point!

Dw... er, Night Train, you have gotten me to thinking on this subject!

Have you ever tried to purchase an article of clothing for a lady? Its impossible! You inevitably buy something that is either "too small," "too large," or some combination of both!

Now, if they don't even know their own sizes, how in the world do they expect us too!?! Naturally, this is assuming there are actually men out there who haven't figured out that you should never purchase clothes for a woman!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file
    There are no actual sizes in womens' clothing. a size 8 in one manufacturer's line may be a size 12 in another's. Also, the "cut" of clothing varies greatly. A size 12 in one style of pants may be comfortable. Another manufacturer's size 12 pants may actually dig soooo deeply into the crotch that your pants appear to be painted on and movement of any sort (breathing for example) will be chafing.

As far as bras go, if you can't find something that works, maybe you don't really need to wear one. An undershirt will work as well for many.

I HATE clothes shopping.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

:D Well if the 80% need a hand;) to help them measure for a better fit i'll volunteer for the job.:idea:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Originally posted by optispares
    :D Well if the 80% need a hand;) to help them measure for a better fit i'll volunteer for the job.:idea:

Well you had better make sure you have washed them hands first, or her indoors will make sure you will never use them again :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue GOOD LORD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RESPONDING TO THIS ABSURD OBSERVATION !!!!!

Well, see, this is the reason for the dilemma of ill-fitting undergarments (more commonly referred to as 'harnesses')

Us ladies despise, yes despise, the thought that our 'measurements' may change with time. Therefore, we continue to buy the same size over and over and over. Have any concept how utterly disturbing it would be to discover that you're no longer a 34C but rather a 38B??????? Those numbers and letters mean something to us! Hehehe.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: GOOD LORD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RESPONDING TO THIS ABSURD OBSERVATION !!!!!

Originally posted by Cindy Forsyth
    Us ladies despise, yes despise, the thought that our 'measurements' may change with time. Therefore, we continue to buy the same size over and over and over.
    Is that true with shoes as well? Just wondering! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeppers, shoes too.

Think about it-- a 7 sounds like its attached to a better specimen than does an 8 1/2!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And a Few Other Points....

I decided to help you guys out.....

There are also times in a woman's life where they actually increase in size! Not only with childbirth! A lot of time it is at that time you choose not to be around us.

I will admit until I met a 70-year old lady who worked in the lingerie dept of a high-end department store I didn't have the right size. There is an art to the measurement that today's salesperson has no clue of. And we women aren't really sure either!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There is an art to the measurement that today's salesperson has no clue of. And we women aren't really sure either!
    Okay then, all I'm saying is- remember this when your man presents you with the skirt that is two sizes too small and simply smile and commend him for the effort!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

Okay then, all I'm saying is- remember this when your man presents you with the skirt that is two sizes too small and simply smile and commend him for the effort!
    :D
    Pete, I (unfortunately) cannot cut you slack about this! Bras are one thing, but clothes are another all together. There is an easy solution for this..... Get into their closets, check the size tag and make sure you buy that size. Make sure the tags are for the corresponding garment-skirts, tops, coats, etc-as they vary.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file
    When it comes to womens clothes sizes, I know how to become rich. Open a women's clothes store and mark all the size 16 clothes size 12 and so on. You'll have to beat large women away. On Bras the opposite strategy might work better. Buying women's clothes is a dangerous mission. Jewelry is safer.
    Tom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Halelujah Gebe I think you got it!!!!!!!!
    (BTW-- when you open that store, lemme know, K?)

Thread Information