Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: progressive lens with a lot of intermediate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question progressive lens with a lot of intermediate

So I have a patient who is complaining and insisting on a redo on his new progressive rx because the intermediate is not big enough. I tried to explain to him the benefits of a computer lens, but he wasnt having any of it.

My biggest issue is, he is currently in a physio... one of my go to lenses for wider intermediates. Anyone got suggestions for a PAL with a wider intermediate?

Our next try is going to be a GT2 I think.
    Life is too important to take seriously.
    WALDO!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Definity also has a nice intermediate range, but physio would be our first choice.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post
    So I have a patient who is complaining and insisting on a redo on his new progressive rx because the intermediate is not big enough.
    Does he mean bigger vertically or horizontally? In other words, his he saying that he has to lift his chin to see the object, or his he saying he has to move his head to the right or left to keep the object in focus?

If the latter, there's probably not much you can do beyond making sure the vertex distance is as short as possible. Some lenses spec out with wider corridors but the difference is minor- some people can see a difference, but most will not, myself included.

If the latter, then a shorter corridor will help, although the consequences are a more dynamic/busy lens, with the potential for reduced distance acuity on-axis, and a much higher likelihood of off-axis distance blur.

If the object in question is a desktop monitor at essentially eye level, then there will still be some chin lifting going on, even with the shortest corridor lens, albeit much less so compared to moderately long corridors like the Physio.

You might also want to look at the change in Rx; any increase in minus or decrease in plus on the distance will have a negative impact on the intermediate vision. If true, don't blame the decreased utility at intermediate on the lens design!

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Want to gamble some money on an idea from someone who isn't an Eye Care Professional?

Look at the website for the atLast! lens:
    http://www.atlastlens.com/

If you take the text on the website at face value, the atLast! lens is aimed specifically at this situation: A dissatisfied PAL wearer who needs (or wants) more or better intermediate vision.

The lens is new, so there has not been much discussion of it yet on this forum.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is the Autograph II out of the question? Otherwise, have the patient decrease the monitor height if its eye level or higher.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

The atLast Enhanced Multifocal

Seems to be a blended round seg embedded into a progressive lens!

According to the wesbite, a lab in California named "Bad *** Optical" can supply you with it! :p

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    What was the patient wearing before?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor D View Post
    Seems to be a blended round seg embedded into a progressive lens!

According to the wesbite, a lab in California named "Bad *** Optical" can supply you with it! :p
    Bad As* Optical (make that last "*" into an "s")
    http://www.badassoptical.com/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    Is the Autograph II out of the question? Otherwise, have the patient decrease the monitor height if its eye level or higher.

I have the Auto II and in my opinion, while I love them, the intermediate is the weakest part. Note that I have a 3.00 add though.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We talked to the patient & the doc and decided to lower his add and raise the seg a bit. We are going to keep him in the physio, but if he still has trouble I may mention the raising the monitor idea.

I thought Shamir's big thing with the autograph series was to minimize intermediate to make near/distance as good as possible?
    Life is too important to take seriously.
    WALDO!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have patients in the Definity who experience clear mid range across the ENTIRE width of the lens.

I ask every patient at dispense to turn their heads left and right and read print at 18" and at 36", and let me know when it starts getting blurry.

In most cases the Definity has been the widest Progressive in the mid.

Sharpstick

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post

In most cases the Definity has been the widest Progressive in the mid.

Sharpstick
    I have a pair of Definity Shorts on right now. I have a 17 inch screen and I can see the entire screen with my glasses without moving my head. It is very sharp and clear. I do need to look directly at it, if I turn my head one side starts to blur out.

My distance is about a -2.00 and my add is a +2.25. The top of the screen is about even with my nose.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post
    I tried to explain to him the benefits of a computer lens, but he wasn't having any of it.
    I assume you mean Office and Online designs, or did you mean a single vision computer distance or bifocal computer/reading distances?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have 3 brand new lenses... Definity II, Auto II, and Lifestyle ID.

The Definity has clear midrange across the ENTIRE width of the lens, however, there is a slight magnification on the outsides of the mid.

The other lenses have their plusses but the Definity is the only one with complete usabilty.

Sharpstick

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Short corridor (14mm fitt height), really soft design, probably a free form would work well.. Will very much depend upon the Px's Rx and working distances though. You may find reducing the add by 0.25 may be beneficial too again depending upon the Rx. The other members seem to love the Autograph II we haven't got that as yet, still stuck with the original Autograph....which we see as a pretty good design

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Auto II blows away original Autograph, IMHO.

John

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Auto II blows away original Autograph, IMHO.

John
    Can you tell me more, you have me rather excited!!!! How many corridor lengths does it come in?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rimlessglasses View Post
    Can you tell me more, you have me rather excited!!!! How many corridor lengths does it come in?
    11, 13, 15, 18 in the fixed design. Variable (my lens of choice) 11 and UP.

The power of this lens is not just the variable corridor length, but the "as worn" technology, the fact that they account for the frame shape in the design ("FreeFrame Technology") and the remarkable, astonishingly low level of distortion compared to others I have worn.

I HIGHLY recommend this lens.

Maybe Laurie could provide more detail. Laurie to the forum, LAURIE TO THE FORUM PLEASE!!! :bbg:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I guess it has nothing to do with lens design.

I have got the same complaints from young hyperopes(40-48) who has distant power over +1.00 ,since I encreased the Addition.

As they are used to the old Pals with low Add, wearing eyeglasses high up on the nose for more magnification does not cause so much discomfort. So he does for reading but he also gains wider intermediate distance.

What I usually did is to reduce distant power 0.25-0.5 D from the new prescription, Increase the Addtion 0.25 or keep the same if he does not do close work,widen the pd 0.50-1mm each side and place the fitting point 2-4mm. higher than the eye point.

Then adjust the frames to sit close to the face.

But this does not work if he is over 52 or the Addition is up to 2.25D.

He might not get the best out of Pals but it fits his needs.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for the call, john-atlanta...

...I was busy in the shoe section, ; )

Two thoughts:

Catagory I: Multi-use PAL

Catagory II: Wide Intermediate Range, suitable for long hours w/computer.

Catagory I:

Autograph II can be ordered in Fixed, where the 'corridor', or 'transitional zone' in the vertical is fixed. You can fit a fixed 11 at 11mm, for example, and the corridor/transitional area will be fixed. If you choose to fit the fixed higher (11mm fixed at 15, for example), you will not change the Intermediate, but will add to the amount of reading area in the vertical.

Autograph Variable: The corridor/transitional area/intermediate will vary, depending on seg height. A rule of thumb, is you will have approx. 5mm of reading area in the vertical meridian (i.e. no cutting off adds), and the length of the intermediate will vary in length.

A quick tip:

Fixed: when you want to have clear control over the amt. of vertical mm of each zone: A bifocal convert, for example, will enjoy getting to the add right away, and can have more depth in their reading area.

Variable: new presbyopes, and dispensers who don't feel comfortable, or a need to maniupulate the parameters. The computer default will ensure that approx. 5mm full reading in the vertical meridian will exist, and contour the design based on additional information. Running parameters through additional software will keep within design criteria, as I mentioned in a previous post.

Finally,

Catagory II:

It is my opinion that, if a client is spending ample time at the computer, they need occupational lenses. The Shamir Office Lens comes in two catagories as well:

Catagory I:

Molded front surface (digital mold, not ceramic-to-glass mold), traditionally surfaced back curves. The lens begins at total near power, and 'digresses' out to around 10-13 feet, depending on Add power. There are four 'dynamic powers' to choose from (how much regression, or deduction of plus towards the top)....I would let the lab choose, unless you have very specific working distance requests outside the norms...the 'top part' of the lens ends up being over-plussed by around +0.50 - +0.75 D, they are not meant to yield 20 ft. vision. By dumping the idea of 20 ft. focus, they gain the widest intermediate, edge-to-edge.

Order like a regular PAL...distance Rx and Add power, mono PD's, and mono fitting cross heights, center pupil.

Catagory II:

Office/Autograph II: this is a design that is custom manipulated per Rx. It is generated via freeform, entirely on the back surface. There are unlimited amounts of 'dynamic powers'/'digression of plus power' towards the top, with the Rx parameters run through 'eyepoint technology' (ray-tracing system), and 'freeframe technology' considers additional information, like the exact positioning of the lower eyewire under the pupil, not just the boxed 'B' dimension. It is best to send the frame to the freeform lab to digitally trace it beforehand.

In addition, you can give additional 'as-worn' measurements: distance to computer, angle of monitor above or below line of sight, designate sitting or standing, ect. Again, the computer software will default to norms if this info is not given.

These new technologies are evolving at a fast rate...alot to keep up with!

Hope this helps,

: )

Laurie

(incase I haven't 'disclosed' in a while, in addition to teaching optics full time 'GO HCC!'), I give CE's for Shamir.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    ...I was busy in the shoe section, ; )

Two thoughts:

Catagory I: Multi-use PAL

Catagory II: Wide Intermediate Range, suitable for long hours w/computer.

Catagory I:

Autograph II can be ordered in Fixed, where the 'corridor', or 'transitional zone' in the vertical is fixed. You can fit a fixed 11 at 11mm, for example, and the corridor/transitional area will be fixed. If you choose to fit the fixed higher (11mm fixed at 15, for example), you will not change the Intermediate, but will add to the amount of reading area in the vertical.

Autograph Variable: The corridor/transitional area/intermediate will vary, depending on seg height. A rule of thumb, is you will have approx. 5mm of reading area in the vertical meridian (i.e. no cutting off adds), and the length of the intermediate will vary in length.

A quick tip:

Fixed: when you want to have clear control over the amt. of vertical mm of each zone: A bifocal convert, for example, will enjoy getting to the add right away, and can have more depth in their reading area.

Variable: new presbyopes, and dispensers who don't feel comfortable, or a need to maniupulate the parameters. The computer default will ensure that approx. 5mm full reading in the vertical meridian will exist, and contour the design based on additional information. Running parameters through additional software will keep within design criteria, as I mentioned in a previous post.

Finally,

Catagory II:

It is my opinion that, if a client is spending ample time at the computer, they need occupational lenses. The Shamir Office Lens comes in two catagories as well:

Catagory I:

Molded front surface (digital mold, not ceramic-to-glass mold), traditionally surfaced back curves. The lens begins at total near power, and 'digresses' out to around 10-13 feet, depending on Add power. There are four 'dynamic powers' to choose from (how much regression, or deduction of plus towards the top)....I would let the lab choose, unless you have very specific working distance requests outside the norms...the 'top part' of the lens ends up being over-plussed by around +0.50 - +0.75 D, they are not meant to yield 20 ft. vision. By dumping the idea of 20 ft. focus, they gain the widest intermediate, edge-to-edge.

Order like a regular PAL...distance Rx and Add power, mono PD's, and mono fitting cross heights, center pupil.

Catagory II:

Office/Autograph II: this is a design that is custom manipulated per Rx. It is generated via freeform, entirely on the back surface. There are unlimited amounts of 'dynamic powers'/'digression of plus power' towards the top, with the Rx parameters run through 'eyepoint technology' (ray-tracing system), and 'freeframe technology' considers additional information, like the exact positioning of the lower eyewire under the pupil, not just the boxed 'B' dimension. It is best to send the frame to the freeform lab to digitally trace it beforehand.

In addition, you can give additional 'as-worn' measurements: distance to computer, angle of monitor above or below line of sight, designate sitting or standing, ect. Again, the computer software will default to norms if this info is not given.

These new technologies are evolving at a fast rate...alot to keep up with!

Hope this helps,

: )

Laurie

(incase I haven't 'disclosed' in a while, in addition to teaching optics full time 'GO HCC!'), I give CE's for Shamir.

Great post! Does the new freeform office have the same requirements for fitting height ABOVE the pupils as the original office lens? I have yet to incorporate the office style lenses into my practice and would love some feedback from the big brains on this board!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In that case I would use a shortened corridor (a short(er) fit design DRX short would be fine) and back the add off, personally - she will be using the "near" portion on the computer but will be holding things further out to "read" as a trade off. But a progressive is a poor choice for her if she is having that much difficulty. Either try an office lens that gives up to 16-20ft of distance vision or a good'ol FT35

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What if the patient convergence does not match the progressive design defaults?
    Does that give the patient the feeling of a narrower corridor?
    How usual could this be?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MIOPE View Post
    What if the patient convergence does not match the progressive design defaults?
    Does that give the patient the feeling of a narrower corridor?
    How usual could this be?
    Great question!

Less than 2% of patients have a convergence that matches the 5mm default inset. Most of our progressive patients have decreased near width and unwanted lateral prism (which creates eyestrain). Most Free-form lenes follow the standard 5mm inset of traditional grinders, and use a corridor designed for low power myopes.

There are only a few lenses that address this, the Seiko: Surmount and Superior (to a lesser degree the Supernal), The Ziess Inidividual 2, and the Rodenstock Impression (not available in the US at the moment).

Near PD is the most important POW measurement, not only does it place the reading zone where is should be, I can if I am smart, realign the whole corridor to account for eyepath. This is done by using a combination of RX and near PD to estimate the Axial length of the eye. Knowing the axial length I can improve Ray Tracing, this near PD can also improve distance zones.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Great
    Less than 2% of patients have a convergence that matches the 5mm default inset. .
    If 2% are the ones that match the 5mm inset, it would be interesting to see percentage according to mm of mismatch.
    Is there any study about this that you know?

Thread Information