Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Opticianry Licensure Bill Introduced

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pennsylvania Opticianry Licensure Bill Introduced

House Bill 319 was introduced on February 9, 2009 and sent to the House Professional Licensure Committee.

On review, there are some changes that need to be made to the language such as the National Opticianry Competency Exam says Optometry Exam. The Board is to be composed of MD's & DO's.

Pennsylvania opticians who live in the Professional Licensure Committee Members districts should contact them with their support.
    to see the Bill in its entirety visit www.legis.state.pa.us
    Last edited by Bev Heishman; 03-06-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How can we help?

Bev,
    How can those of us outside Pennsylvainia help? I think its incumbent on all of us to do whatever we can to support PA in this effort. I remember signing a petition sometime back, but I thought something more direct might be effective too. Please discuss it with whomever, then post back here and let us know.
    Nice to talk to you again! xxoo's from harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman View Post
    Pennsylvania opticians who live in the Professional Licensure Committee Members districts should contact them with their support.
    to see the Bill in its entirety visit www.legis.state.pa.us
    Where should we click once we get to this page? I got weary reading and clicking all over that page!

Who sponsored this bill?

Why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fezzmeister must be getting lazy in his old age......

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&BN=0319

That's kind of like letting other people brew the beer and just walking in and drinking it!

I must freely admit it took a moment or two to get to the bill,,,,but that's because I had forgotten it's number. It is HB319 and as soon as Bev gives us some direction we'll go to work on it.

Bev, I am going to notify Jon Bright so with any luck we'll get NCSORB involved. I am also calling this to the attention of some mutual friends who might prove to be helpful.

I hope Texas is paying close attention. They could be next!
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Harry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I hope Texas is paying close attention. They could be next!

We're working on it Harry. In fact I'll be in Austin Monday. Me and Sam will be going to the capital...

Good luck PA! And let me know if I may be of assitance!

George

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looks pretty good for first draft. Doesn't $50 for 2 years seem kind of low though? Espescially when you're required 30 hours of CE every 2 years.

I know this will go through several revisions before its finalized and I can only hope 24/7 & Sam have good luck with Texas licensure.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Looks pretty good for first draft. Doesn't $50 for 2 years seem kind of low though? Espescially when you're required 30 hours of CE every 2 years.

I know this will go through several revisions before its finalized and I can only hope 24/7 & Sam have good luck with Texas licensure.
    I haven't read it yet but if PA is like MA, the fee is established by the Division of Professional Licensure....and is adjustable enough to meet changing times. We're currently at $65 every 2 years but we (the board) just signed off on an increase..specific dollar amount to be announced!
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman View Post
    The Board is to be composed of MD's & DO's.
    That looks like a typo. Is it really DO's and not OD's?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In states that require licensed opticians, is there any effect on internet glasses? If people can order from China without an Rx I fail to see the point of license requirements.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Internet?

IndianaOD,
    You should strongly support this bill, although I am almost certain the ODs in PA will be dead set against it. Internet sales are not yet strong, but may be down the road if we do not legitimize Opticians all across the country. ODs appear concerned that if Opticians are legitimized, it takes some of the control away from them. That is simply not true. Currently in PA, all that is required is a pulse. We must improve, and requiring some minimal competency through licensure is a great way to accomplish that goal! If all the BS ODs typically spew about concern for patients is true, then I encourage you to shout loudly in favor of licensure for Opticians everywhere, and in this case, PA.

Go Pa! Let me know what I can do to assist.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    IndianaOD,
    You should strongly support this bill, although I am almost certain the ODs in PA will be dead set against it. Internet sales are not yet strong, but may be down the road if we do not legitimize Opticians all across the country. ODs appear concerned that if Opticians are legitimized, it takes some of the control away from them. That is simply not true. Currently in PA, all that is required is a pulse. We must improve, and requiring some minimal competency through licensure is a great way to accomplish that goal! If all the BS ODs typically spew about concern for patients is true, then I encourage you to shout loudly in favor of licensure for Opticians everywhere, and in this case, PA.

Go Pa! Let me know what I can do to assist.
    Go easy on us, wmcdonald and don't be certain that all ODs oppose this. I, for one, am in favor of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    In states that require licensed opticians, is there any effect on internet glasses? If people can order from China without an Rx I fail to see the point of license requirements.
    This bill, as almost all state licenses, can not limit internet selling. It is designed to bring a minimum competancy to the field of opticianry, in which a lot of states have none. Flip burgers today, optician tomorrow.

Argueably, most Od's and Omd's oppose these bills. Why would that be? More money out of their pocket because of higher pay for skilled workers?

We know our place at the bottom of the food chain, but a lot of us really do care about the industry, and the people getting served. We are good at what we do, just like you Docs are good at what you do, so lets work together. I would venture to guess that a very high percentage of Od's and Omd's in Pa. have by industry standards, very unqualified help. Why is that? Because they can.

Oh, and if you want to bring up the internet thing rendering licensing useless, if people can "refract" themselves with over the counter reading glasses, whats to stop them from bumping up their Rx on those same sites? There is no verification for eyeglass scripts, only contacts.

I see that the Optometric Association has stepped up to help with this problem as well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    Go easy on us, wmcdonald and don't be certain that all ODs oppose this. I, for one, am in favor of it.
    Your one of the smart ones. It actually helps level the playign field for independents. We need more info here people:

The committee it's in right now is Professional Licensure the members of this committee can be found here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...?cde=34&body=H

The next meeting date is this Tuesday March 10th 2009 @ 10:00am Ryna Office room 205, as of yet this bill isn't on the schedule to be discussed, which means contact people from the commitee fast make sure they know it's important to us that they discuss and iron out the details fast. For further scheduleing check here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/CO/HM/COHM.HTM
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 03-07-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't need an optician to order internet glasses.

On the other hand, you don't need OD's or MD's either.

Write you own 'script...how much easier can it get?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it really says the board is to be comprised of MD's and DO's go for it but see if you can get a couple of optician positions posted. Now if it says the board is to be comprised of MD's and OD's this is entirely a different kind of dodo you could be stepping in. But if you could get non-dispensing MD's and DO's on the board go for it. Otherwise without any opticians you will find that your menu is being restricted by the competition.
    But with MD's and DO's you will be concidered a "public health" board (this is good).

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    You don't need an optician to order internet glasses.

On the other hand, you don't need OD's or MD's either.

Write you own 'script...how much easier can it get?

Ok, so Devil's advocate...... If independents have to pay more for licensed opticians and the internet swindlers only need Chinese children and a website how could that help?

Anyways, people should be buying American right now!!

PS, I used to be fully in favor of increased licensure and education for opticians until I realized how anti-OD many of the posters are on here. I had no idea so many militant opticians were out there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all need to work together, we're in the same field!!! We all want what is best for our patients!!! Support licensure in every state!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

penn

Indiana OD, with all due respect, there are just as many anti of every category within the three O,s, over the past 42 years that i have been in the business, i have heard them all bich about one another, for one reason or another.

You need to rise above that, as education and more knowledgable opticians will only serve you personally and the industry better.

As far as the china thing , there is almost nothing you can do about that kind of stuff, as in any business there will always be a certain few doing something illegal, or finding away to circumvent existing laws.

I think the internet thing currently is not much to worry about, you will probably see a little bit more of it right now because of the unusual times we are in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    Indiana OD, with all due respect, there are just as many anti of every category within the three O,s, over the past 42 years that i have been in the business, i have heard them all bich about one another, for one reason or another.

You need to rise above that, as education and more knowledgable opticians will only serve you personally and the industry better.

As far as the china thing , there is almost nothing you can do about that kind of stuff, as in any business there will always be a certain few doing something illegal, or finding away to circumvent existing laws.

I think the internet thing currently is not much to worry about, you will probably see a little bit more of it right now because of the unusual times we are in.
    Licensure will not stop anyone selling on the internet!Registration laws are put in place to establish competency standards and rules and regulations designed to protect the consumer from sub standard or unethical practitioners. States can only control what goes on within the borders of their states. They have no ability to control business's in another state. 1-800-Contacts is a good example, but internet sales are another. There have been mail order glasses since I was a boy (long-long time ago) and the regulatory bodies have a caveat emptor view on those who buy them.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, so Devil's advocate...... If independents have to pay more for licensed opticians and the internet swindlers only need Chinese children and a website how could that help?
    This is part of a post I made in the pro forum......

Now to my doctor friends here that read this...

I'm sure you won't believe this but I have many, many OD friends. I grew up with a mother that was an instructor at UHCO. I spent many years there and in wholesale where I grew to know the students, now doctors. I sympathize with your issues. I have tremendous respect for your dedication. And by simply being a member here at OB shows you are a cut above the rest. I know many of you idividually are on our side, but your organizations are not.

I hope your colleagues will understand that licensure of opticians does not mean you'll have to pay your staff more. Study after study shows that opticians' salaries are more tied to location than licensure. There are many opticians in non-licensed states making more that states with licensure.

Why do we want licensure? Number one is to secure the future of our field. New technologies are emerging that could reduce us and we feel we provide a vital service just as you do.

We also are concerned for the welfare of the public. The majority of you want the same thing, the citizenry protected and served with knowledge and skill.

Lastly, we would like a little repect for our profession. We certainly don't try to hold ourselves up to your very difficult and highly skilled training. But we do bring our own set of skills to further the care of your patients. We provide a vital and necessary service that should be regulated. We should have to prove that we are deserving of this trust you, and the public expect from us.

Occupation
    PS, I used to be fully in favor of increased licensure and education for opticians until I realized how anti-OD many of the posters are on here. I had no idea so many militant opticians were out there.
    Your profession reaps what it sows. If you believe that opticians just woke up one day militant than your input has no value to me since your missing much of the pie. Your inuendo and your attitude says much about what you value in your practice $$$, patient care dictates that anyone in your office or those of the ones in your profession be staffed by the most qualified and skilled within reason. Their have been studies done and salary surveys that show that licensure does not lead to significant increases in pay, and people like you are still free to hire and staff your offices with humps, but you lose the right to call them opticians. The idea of licensure protects the public from thinking that the person serving them is automatically skilled. Anyway your vote doesn't count in Pennsylvania and if your only concern for licensure is to prevent internet glasses I don't see how you call yourself a professional anyway, the purpose of this bill is to protect consumers NOT YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As to the Chinese selling on the internet and mail order. If not already in a few weeks the Chinese will have completed arrangements to own the US government and therefore will be allowed to do almost anything they want.

Chip

Occupation
    Here is a list of representatives for the Professional Licensure Committee, the counties that they represent and their phone, fax, and hill mailing addresses are listed. Keep in mind that this meeting is this Tuesday March 10th at 10:00am, a fax blast on monday to their hill offices or calls on monday to their hill offices would definately help. The bill is currently in this committee but the way it works is it will stay in this committe until it dies or they work on it and send it back through the house for a vote. Of course they won't work on it until they know that their is a sense of urgency to work on it. As of right now the bill is not ont he agenda for this Tuesday, but it can be if we call and let them know ho important this bill is. If your from outside of PA that's OK just let them know the countries watching and that you support the bill along with opticians you know in the state, if you live in the state look to see if the representatives represent your county and call and ask them to work on the bill this Tuesday. There is a sense of URGENCY here so it's important to make sure the people hear our voices. Make sure faxes are addresses to Honorable XXXXXXXXXXX, and that they are on your best letter head and lets spell check this one.

The faxes or calls should highlight how this is good for the state and the residents, that is the focus here.

1. Professional Liability Insurance for opticians that's required under the bill can help boost the economy by provideing another revenue stream for the insurance industry.
    2. PA residents can be assured that their opthalmic products are dispensed by qualified professionals and have a avenue to report any greivences for unprofessional conduct.
    3. Licensure fees can be a revenue stream for the state.
    4. No statistical impact on small businesses payroll according to salary surveys, while increasing the quality of products offered.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

IndianaOD

Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    My earlier comment was not directed at anyone personally. If you read my posts you will find I attempt to be balanced. I am probably harder on Opticians and their lack of education and training than I ever was on ODs, believe me. But I am sure know that already. I continue to stand by my earlier post, and encourage anyone with a true concern for patient safety to do so as well. I do believe the PA ODs will fight this bill, because in EVERY other instance organized Opometry has fought licensure. I strongly believe that it is financial and turf-related.

Thread Information