Thread: Big Box Route ...

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter kbfast's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Big Box Route ...

I'm curious how many here have done their time in a big box ...
    Wal-Mart, Target, even K-Mart toyed with the idea in the late 70's near their corporate offices in Michigan ... & department store opticals
    - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Fast, A.S., BSVT, CMBA, ABOC
    "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the perfected example of established practice."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thirty four years and counting, zero days in a big box or chain.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pearl for 9 months, Sears for 4 months, then out...:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LensCrafters for 11 years.. and going on 4 in the business but out of the box!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter kbfast's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm curious because I am going to have students to place and I'd like some input from the industry ... and where is there a better place than here on Optiboard. I personally hated the chain thing and the big box. Then again, private practices can be ... something ... I was happiest in my own stores (one shop in the late 70's; lost to divorce ... a three store + bench in the late 80's and now running a training center) I did too much time in chains (bondage) but I got "set free" Nov. 15, 1999 and I ain't been back since! Wal-mart , Pearle, TSO, Royal, Lee, I did the AFEES thing for a couple years, Nationwide Vision Centers (at the very beginning of the chain) - far too many chains - whats your opinion ... don't be shy (yeah right!)
    - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Fast, A.S., BSVT, CMBA, ABOC
    "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the perfected example of established practice."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably not much choice out there other than the "box" stores, as they have the majority of retails. The private Od's and Omd's still tend to hire cheap.

Years ago, OMD'S were told that all they had to do was open an optical, and voila, the bucks rolled in. A fair amount of those failed, duh, and they couldn't understand why. Today, some have learned to hire experienced people, and I dare say, the majority have not. They only seem to look at labor cost, and not what you bring to the table, ($$$$).

I am so glad that I am nearing the end, as I sure would run fast and far from this industry today. Maybe I'm just not a corporate type guy, and I don't have any experience in that world, other than what I read and perceive, but its sure not for me.

Tell them to make sure at least, that they wind up in a licensed state. Other wise, its them against the kid at mickey d's or the barristo at star bucks for that 7 dollar an hour job.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenscrafters....about 3 months.

Pearle franchise about 1 1/2 years.

Private.......................about 20 years.

I will never go back!!!! Period! 'Nuff said!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my second year of college I was hired on at Lenscrafters, as a lab rat. I only lasted about 3 weeks...(I came from the lab and I had no intentions of going back....little did I know...) So when I was working for LC, I actively looked for a new opportunity, when I was hired by Precision Optical (at the time) I'll tell you, I loved it..I had the greatest boss anyone could ever ask for! Store policies got more strict after I left, though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3 years so far

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big Box Pros:
    Benefits: Typically you have a better plan available through the big boys. 401k, medical/dental, life, disability.. the works. Perhaps even more generous vacation time. Family leave (small business are exempt)

Portability: Typically if you work for a big box, along as you don't have any writeups, etc.. you can transfer between locations if the need arises. In my tenure with LC I had worked in 10 different stores, managed in 5, 3 metropolitan areas, and 2 states.. (WA and IN)

HR: Typically your big boxes have a standardized policy and procedure manual, training/performance guidelines, and more structured in general. With some private places, it is literally at the owner's whim. Regular reviews, development plans, etc..

Promotional Opportunities: Room to move up for bigger.. possibly better things and $$

Business is Retail based (customer)

Private Pros
    Relationships: More close knit. The owner knows who you are, and is perhaps more willing to work with you on certain issues/things. Patient/provider relationship also seems tighter. I know just about every patient we have by name/face and they all know me. Small town feel.

Hours: Typically private hours are more regular.. less retail based than public

Typically not as numbers driven.. ie, multiples, av $ sale, etc. While the private guys better be looking at their bottom line, they typically don't coach you for not selling everyone 2 pairs with every option under the sun

NO corporate politics!

Vendors/product selection: Typically in a private practice you can sell the products you believe in. Big boxes are typically more limited in lens selection and frames (at least vendor wise!)

Business is more Medical/Health based (patient)

Toss ups
    Pay: Some big boxes in the area don't pay for squat, while others are more generous.. especiall considering the benes.

Measures of Performance: As was aluded to somewhat prior, perhaps having known SOPs would increase your comfort level. The whole knowing what is expected of you thing..

Job security: Sometimes with the big boxes, reorganizations.. store closures, etc can come up. However private also can end up merging, closing, or being bought..

Community Service: For me.. I loved being the Regional GOS captain and missions. This is the one big hole for me. However I am trying to fill it with Prevent Blindness.. and crazy enough to think about working with *gasp* VSP's mobile clinic to partner on a mini-mission for the area. PBI's screening program, with VSP's clinic.. local docs who volunteer.. Sounds like a good time to me! (If my doc will give me some time to organize all the necessities!)

I am sure there is more to this list.. this is just me thinking late at night, stuff full of sudafed..
    Last edited by Jubilee; 03-07-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Added community service
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the late seventies I helped start one of the first K-Mart opticals in Michigan. They had the right idea but the consumer interest was not yet there no matter how many "blue light" specials we sang out over the intercom. Touring the big K-Mart headquarters was very cool but I left after a year. I just could not see working 12 hour days and Sundays when there were better opportunities and more money down the road.

Down the road was a multi store Pearle franchise where I stayed for many happy years until it was sold to Nu-Vision which couold not handle the business and eventually sold it. From then on it has been either a franchise or an independent. Both of which I prefer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    LC - 5.5 years the first time, going on 4 this.

Sears - I think I was there maybe 2 months until i got a better offer in private practice. What I saw made me not want to stay. Mind you, this was pre-Lux

Private practice - maybe 6 months to a year.

Wally World - part time for a handful years running their inhouse finish lab (pay was great for a part time gig and I really liked the doc)

Yeah, I know the corporate stores aren't well liked by many. But, I've gained tons of experience from them, I've got great bennies, I've met some wonderful people that I hope to know for many years and I know I've got room to move if I want.

Not all locations in all chains are great, not all independents are either. But that why this country has both...so we've all got a place to pratice our craft and hopefully make a difference in someone's life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Thirty four years and counting, zero days in a big box or chain.

Ditto. Worked first 12 years in wholesale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started in a small shop (it was originally a chain, but was kind of at the end of its rope at that point) called Lens Lab..

Next was Lenscrafters..

After that was a local OD's office..

Then in a large Ophthalmology practice..

Last stop - my own shop..woo hoo! :)

Like some of the others, I can give pros and cons of each...but all-in-all, I'd say that no matter where I was, I had a positive experience.

The chains, in the locations I worked, were/are very structured and geared toward training and knowing all aspects of the store (retail and lab). The OD's office gave a nice sense of freedom, learning about frame buying, inventory control and being in a smaller environment was nice as well.

My favorite place (as far as working for someone else) was the Ophthalmology practice...we were very busy, and had lots of glasses and contact lens prescriptions that ranged from basic to complex. I found it extremely informative and felt that I gained a lot of knowledge (about Optics and avenues of research if the answer wasn't readily available)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The only time I worked for a box was at Eyemart Express, 7 weeks. It's all been independent otherwise. It's been lab work except for about 3 years with an Ophthalmology clinic. Started with dispensing, then pre-test and then refracting.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked in a Sears Optical for a year back in the early 80's. I've worked private since then.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    6 years in 3 different LC stores. I thank them a lot for the opportunity to learn, but not at all for the corporate mentality.

I have now been in private offices for 4 years and would never go back.

...The only thing I miss is 3 weeks of vacation and the insanely generous health benefits that are no longer offered.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I work in a little box with a big box name. I work for an O.D. who has two Pearle franchises. We have our own way of doing things so we butt heads with the corporate folks from time-to-time. The store I have my office in has less than 20% Lux product on the board, lots of Safilo and other smaller vendors. We could go indy. at the flip of a switch supply chain and inventory wise. But the "name" and EyeMed do direct a substantial amount of our business through our doors.

I did do 11 months at Visionworks and made a pledge to myself to never work for a 100% "big box" owned outfit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started out with a 10 store chain restricted to Ohio, for 3 years, then to US Vision where I managed and then District Managed for 9 years. Finally got so disgusted with the impersonal big business ways, that I moved my family 10 hours away and at first for half the pay,to workfor an independant OD, for which I have been working for the last 23 years. There is no way I would ever work for a big chain again. I was able to keep my soul by leaving them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    In my second year of college I was hired on at Lenscrafters, as a lab rat. I only lasted about 3 weeks...(I came from the lab and I had no intentions of going back....little did I know...) So when I was working for LC, I actively looked for a new opportunity, when I was hired by Precision Optical (at the time) I'll tell you, I loved it..I had the greatest boss anyone could ever ask for! Store policies got more strict after I left, though.
    Who was your boss at Precision Renee?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post

From what I have read and seeing other posts on other threads I think it comes down too is, you manager (store) are they a good honest person who knows what he or she is doing? Because for the most part most of them have not a clue, they are there because they are cheap. Second is like the first but extends to the RM and whether he or she knows what they are doing and again from what I have been told by friends working at the Boxes most don't know what there doing. If you can sell your considered a good optician never mind the 95% that an optician does other than selling, if you can sell your considered a good optician. That's all the Boxes care about, what is the bottom line. Period!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    LensCrafters for 11 years.. and going on 4 in the business but out of the box!

Out of the Box and into the real world!

Thread Information