Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of progressives?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The future of progressives?

I am working on a article about progressives. I have been doing some research about the history of and timeline of progressives, and designs. We all know that "Free-Form" is the big buzz word right now. BUT, what is next in the evolution of progressives? Where do you see designs and manufacturing platforms going?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think we're going to see a refinement in freeform design. Freeforms will become about the only way to get progressives in a few years. The new Varilux Sport has a different shape to the upper corridor that should make them easier to use. Maybe this is one of the refinements??

I also think we're going to see two groups emerging. One a premium like Varilux, Zeiss, etc and another bargain brand type with out the bells and whistles.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 02-26-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The day will come when the Japanese research I read about 40 years ago where the material changes index and senses the distance of the object being viewed. Patient will have the advantage of a changable SV lens for all distances.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I am working on a article about progressives. I have been doing some research about the history of and timeline of progressives, and designs. We all know that "Free-Form" is the big buzz word right now. BUT, what is next in the evolution of progressives? Where do you see designs and manufacturing platforms going?
    Putting FF in as a progression in the history of progressive lens design will bring your article to a halt. FF is the process and can be used to create anything from a 1st generation design to a 6th generation design. The history of the design I believe is going to move away from geometric optics and more to wards physiological optics. For instance many of the most advanced lenses today are taking what used to be global variables such as tilts and making them more patient/frame specific to customize the design. This leads to a more accurate portrayal of the design, but certain lenses are ahead of their time such as the Ipseo, they take the patient and test them to come up with a variable for the type of design that fits the patients viewing habits. This is different in that the design is chosen after the patient has been tested for head eye movement, this means that the design is appropriate for the patient. The Izon lens (I know just hear me out here) the izon lens uses an aberrometer to measure aberrations and this is put into the lens, these are physiological variables that are now being worked with and I see the trend continuing, this coupled with the ability to translate the design more accurately means more than just an arbitrary design being portrayed accurately.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You are correct Harry, and I think the general terms of either "Digital Surfacing" and/or "Free Form (freely formed)" cause much of the confusion on the topic. A simple SV lens, with what we would refer to as common rear curves, can be produced using either of the above terms. Overall, they represent a process, not absolutely tied to a lens design.

I think a reading of Darryl's well executed document (recently posted) may help some with the differences.
    J. R. Smith

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The day will come when the Japanese research I read about 40 years ago where the material changes index and senses the distance of the object being viewed. Patient will have the advantage of a changable SV lens for all distances.
    There's a company in the U.S. that has been working on this:

http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/technologyelectro.html

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chipanderson View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    There's a company in the U.S. that has been working on this:

http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/technologyelectro.html
    I think that this would amazing to see in action. I would love to read more about it if you come across any more information!

Fezz-Good luck on your article
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Here are two reports on the switchable focus eyeglasses that were being developed at Pixel Optics:

http://www.physorg.com/news63385938.html

http://www.spacewar.com/news/Pixelop..._Military.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Force-field air distortion lenses.
    I hereby claim all copyrights to that name.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Of course they will only be available after the recession.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Here are two reports on the switchable focus eyeglasses that were being developed at Pixel Optics:

http://www.physorg.com/news63385938.html

http://www.spacewar.com/news/Pixelop..._Military.html

I am really getting worried here.......................................

You will need a totally new edging system, a different AR coating system. Transition will have to go back to the drawing board.

How are you doing a drop ball test............will it pass it. How much will you warranty the lenses against scratching.............and last not least how much are you going to charge for them?

Of course they will only be available after the recession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    the next progression in design would have to be a way to customize the the size of the reading area. So that if we had an OC of 18mm I could customize the reading area with that so that I could get 4-11 mm of reading depending on the patients needs. I could with the same data get a longer or shorter mid range within the same seg height.

Sharpstick

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Whats next

Fezz;

Better designs in lenses can be produced with better optics using digital surfacing or freeform machines to produce these. If the design is good the production technique allows for millions of potential different surfaces vs. a moulded lens that is limited to about 65 different PAL SKU's with spherical curves. Between the blanks some scripts are closer to the patients needs than others that are not an exact fit for one of the 65 SKU's.

After digital surfacing optical improvements you will next see improvement is refraction. The lens can be very accurately produced to what the doc script said, but three refractions on the same day by 3 different OD's will possibly yield three different scripts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    After digital surfacing optical improvements you will next see improvement is refraction. The lens can be very accurately produced to what the doc script said, but three refractions on the same day by 3 different OD's will possibly yield three different scripts.
    I would say that three refractions on the same day by one OD will also possibly yield different scripts. Patient attention, alertness, hormone fluctuations, etc all contribute to an at best refraction at the time they were tested. People are not static, nor are their prescriptions. :bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I would say that three refractions on the same day by one OD will also possibly yield different scripts. Patient attention, alertness, hormone fluctuations, etc all contribute to an at best refraction at the time they were tested. People are not static, nor are their prescriptions. :bbg:
    Wouldn't that mean that any amount of precison attained in processing is moot unless able to privide it almost immediately?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    the next progression in design would have to be a way to customize the the size of the reading area. So that if we had an OC of 18mm I could customize the reading area with that so that I could get 4-11 mm of reading depending on the patients needs. I could with the same data get a longer or shorter mid range within the same seg height.

Sharpstick
    We can do that now within certain limits with the Autograph II design. It is not 100% customizable but you can get various corridor lengths and larger reading areas by fitting different designs.

BTW As a diclaimer I work for Shamir now. Feel free to PM me for details.
    Some people see the glass as half empty, some as half full. I see the glass and wonder what the radius of curvature is.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No one on Star Trek or Star Wars wears Progressives

The future will be no progressives- They will use implants and there will be no need for progressives lenses except for defects that can not be addressed by surgery. Lasik will be an enhansement. Glasses will only be used by kids until they can get surgery.

Not in my life time- I hope.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re:PALs of the future

I attended the Pixel Optics seminar at Vision Expo East, where there was a description and presentation of an electro-optical composite lens. I was told to expect it to come out sometime within the next two years. The lens has a Trivex front surface, a 1.67 back surface, and a fluid layer in between which has a refractive index that varies depending on the needs of the user. Using Pixel Optic's own frames equipped with a battery, the wearer simply touches the lens to make it change the refractive power -- remarkable.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd it took the Pixel concept 35 years to develop. Read of this 35 years ago. I think the technology is aready in use in some cameras.

Chip

Occupation
    Odd it took the Pixel concept 35 years to develop. Read of this 35 years ago. I think the technology is aready in use in some cameras.

Chip
    I wonder how long and how the military has been using this technology.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As now we can see the trend all are going towards customize and reduce peripheral distortion. i think that physiological optic work along with the aberration control maybe the future of PAL in order to enhance the wearing comfort and also the vision clarity. but i don't feel surprise if any manufacturer may invent some kind of accommodation lens for the best result for all viewing distance.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Anybody has an idea how they make the correction ................

Chip
    Anybody has an idea how they make the correction for cylindrical power ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    i believe the cylinder correction is surfaced on the lens the liquid crystal would only adjust sphere power. however judging by what i saw at vision expo east i think they are much further away from a working prototype then they would like us to believe.

there is an amazing device coming soon to this country from Indo known as EyeMade that takes the ipseo concept much further and creates a frequency mapping that shows where one most often looks through a lens. this then informs the design of the progressive so the unwanted cylinder will be located where it will be noticed least. and apparently(because i asked) this mapping that is created is consistant and reproducable, meaning it should be valid for use in generating a personalized design. very cool stuff.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PKCRM114 View Post
    i believe the cylinder correction is surfaced on the lens the liquid crystal would only adjust sphere power. however judging by what i saw at vision expo east i think they are much further away from a working prototype then they would like us to believe.

there is an amazing device coming soon to this country from Indo known as EyeMade that takes the ipseo concept much further and creates a frequency mapping that shows where one most often looks through a lens. this then informs the design of the progressive so the unwanted cylinder will be located where it will be noticed least. and apparently(because i asked) this mapping that is created is consistant and reproducable, meaning it should be valid for use in generating a personalized design. very cool stuff.
    The EyeMade may seem new, but I believe Indo first showed this in the US 3 years ago.

As for the amazing feature of a battery in a frame that minimally changes the power???? And the benefit to the patient is? Assuming this is the best of the best now you have to limit the patient to frames made for the special battery and processor. (I know they are small but how many different frames will be available). To me the technology maybe easier than the sales and marketing.

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Progressive

I think the Pixel concept is in its infancy. The battery used as an energy source could also be a solar chip or something of that nature that could be easily attached to most any frame. I also remember reading about research that PPG Industries was doing on lenses that have some sort of adjustable focus. I'm sure the technology to produce Progressives will be changing quite a bit in the next few years, I also feel that lenses that react to some sort of stimulus to change focus will also be available in the next few of years.

Thread Information