Thread: Purchasing frames

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Purchasing frames

Ok time has come to stock your shelves with frames, Just how do you chose which you want to buy.
    [list=1]
    Do you go by what the frame rep says?[/list=1]
    [list=2]
    Do you just brouse the books for something you think will go well?[/list=2]
    [list=3]
    Do you listen to what others in the trade are saying[/list=3]
    [list=4]
    Do you try the frames yourself and go by what looks good on you?[/list=4]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is not something I am good at, but. I have had frame reps admit that thier "hottest cash cow" is sometimes the turkey they are over stocked on and can't get rid of. Theoreticly the frame rep will sell you only what will sell as he may get it back, and if you don't sell it he won't get more business. But these people are also influenced by pressure from home office, commission needed for end-of-year, etc.

Look at the stuff, get other staff, customers, especially women's opinions when buying. Have one friend who used to be a frame rep. and used to have his own shop, he said he would go to Malls and if Polo, or Christian Dior or whatever was selling in clothes, he bought it in frames. Of course you friends at Optiboards should be able to help you especially if you give them some demographics, very few of them have any axes to grind for or against your sells. But if one of them tells you he sells Cazals like hot cakes, he may be an affluent ethinic neighborhood and you may be in a poor wasp neighborhood and not able to give them away except as theft items.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When we do purchasing, we really try to focus on what feedback we get from our customers. Frame reps recommendations are considered but certainly taken with a grain of salt.

Fitting characteristics play a big role. We get a lot of patients with 70-73 pd's and that requires larger bridge sizes and longer temples.

Quality is very important! We don't buy anything that won't hold up. This includes welfare frames and lower end stuff. Warrantees will help but we'd rather have things that just won't break easily or come out of adjustment easily(time is money).

We try to anticipate what the customer will want rather than what we would wear.

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow Re: Purchasing frames

Originally posted by John R
    Ok time has come to stock your shelves with frames, Just how do you chose which you want to buy.
    [list=1]
    Do you go by what the frame rep says?[/list=1]
    [list=2]
    Do you just brouse the books for something you think will go well?[/list=2]
    [list=3]
    Do you listen to what others in the trade are saying[/list=3]
    [list=4]
    Do you try the frames yourself and go by what looks good on you?[/list=4]
    In addition to all above, we do consider cost of inventory present in the stocks. In India, normally , we pay back the frame vendors after 3 to 4 months. So, theres always a trap which will make you place more orders than you can chew.

What's the credit period and policy adopted in US ? Do they keep scope to bargain ?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've been burned by a few frame reps along the way but now I don't do business with those folks anymore. Now, I always ask the important question "What if it doesn't move?" If they are anything but affirmative in taking it back I don't entertain wasting the real estate to display their product.

The right frame mix is also important to cover presentation to the maximum amount of your clientelle so they feel satisfied with the choices which you have to offer them. This will vary among demographics but the 10,20,30,40 concept is working well for us since it provides a good crossover of frame presentation.

10% childrens-some children may also use small unisex, womens, & mens frames

20% mens-men tend to be less choosy but the choosy guys will also have your unisex collection to choose from which actually enables them to select from 50% of your inventory.

30% unisex- Frames for both men and women who may opt for a little more contemporary styling. This line also does well with teens and college students.

40% womens- It's no secret "Women favor style" and therefore are less utilitarian when it comes to choosing their eyewear. Therefore this mix provides them with the ability to actually select from over 70% of your inventory.

I've found small point of sale displays very helpful to seperate frame collections into specific areas of interest. Patients gravitate to these areas since it adresses a lifestyle they wish to convey with their eyewear and gives us a good idea who we may be selling to.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Frame Buying

Here's some points that I've collected from bosses gone by and my own stores.

Price point analysis:
    Look at last years units sales by price points. Your marketplace most likely has a tendency to be strong in certain price categories.
    Look at what was sold by style:
    I guess we need to categorize in some way to get a handle on this. Mens traditional, womens traditional, unisex,. You can go nuts doing this, but, at some point, cerain categories will show some interesting "trends".
    I came from the cosmetic world, so I look at frames in terms of category, shape and color with designer name influence depending on the market.
    I do not like reps doing my buying, even if they say they will "maintain the boards". I test them when they come in. I ask if they know what racial or ethnic groups are in my area. If they answer OK I let them talk. If they fail the test, I decide.
    Bottom line is that we each need to know how we present eyewear . . . fashion, cosmetic, utility, whatever, and then buy for the customer (patient). Having spent a bunch of time in seven major markets, I can tell you that the best opticians I've seen in terms of product mix are the ones who buy for the consumer and not what they like. Although those same people like what their customers (patients) like, and buy well.
    Its an art based on trends in both the fashion market as well as the sell through. When I'm 100 years old I'll be a master at it. I guaranty it!
    P.S. Quality and Rx compatibility are always foremost in my mind.
    Having said all that . . . that explains my gray hair!!!

Thread Information