Thread: Pork

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Pork

Check out below to see if your state got their fair share of the pork (sorry, youse Canadians don't get any.)

Give your children a big hug - they are the ones who will be paying the tab.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/

You can search by keyword, federal program or by state. People are going nuts seeing

what their states are asking for! This is urgent? Oh yeah, $17 BILLION for Puerto Rico????

Find projects by state or territory

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How sad..

Seeing all that money being spent for such stupid things makes me really depressed. I'm definitely not feeling very stimulated. I don't see how many jobs new ball field light upgrades new HVAC units for UGA can create? I thought that was what Alumnists where for?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/20/eco...ory/index.html

So, just how bad is the economy?

* Story Highlights
    * Is it fair to invoke Great Depression?
    * Some economists say comparison overblown
    * Nation had another Great Depression few remember, scholar says
    * Depression survivor: "People had a wonderful spirit of survival"
    * Next Article in U.S. »

* Read
    * VIDEO

By John Blake
    CNN
    Decrease font Decrease font
    Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- The stock market crashed. Wall Street panicked. People stashed silver and gold under mattresses while businesses shut doors across America.
    People in Detroit, Michigan, line up for food at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen.

People in Detroit, Michigan, line up for food at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen.
    Click to view previous image
    1 of 3
    Click to view next image

We're talking, of course, about the Great Depression ... of 1873.

That's the event that Scott Reynolds Nelson cites when asked to give an historical perspective on today's sputtering economy. The historian says the economic panic of 1873 started with the same toxic mix as today's crisis: risky mortgages, a stock market dive and the use of complex financial instruments that few understood.

"Until 1929, when people used the word[s] Great Depression they referred to 1873," says Nelson, a professor of history at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.

"That was a worldwide international depression that started with the banks. That's what we're seeing now. This looks like 1873."

The nation's economic crisis is not only causing people to look more closely at their 401(k) account statements. They're also turning to their history books. Politicians and commentators routinely invoke the Great Depression and other historical events to describe today's economic crisis. Video Watch the debate over 'Depression' talk »

But how fair is that historical analogy?

Why Great Depression comparisons may be unfair

James Kolari, an economist at Texas A&M University, says the nation experienced two "rough" recessions in the mid-1970s and the early 1980s. A recession is generally defined as a decline in the Gross Domestic Product for two or more consecutive quarters.

He says it's not fair to compare the current economic crisis to the Great Depression, because the federal government was far more passive in the 1920s.
    Watch live Tuesday
    Watch President Obama's Address LIVE on Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET with your Facebook friends on CNN.com Live and CNN TV
    see full schedule »

"We let 15,000 out of 30,000 banks fail," he says. "Government efforts to jump-start the economy were slow and relatively weak until President [Franklin] Roosevelt came along with the New Deal."

Kolari says people can learn more by looking at Japan. He says the U.S. economy is facing the same crisis as Japan in the 1990s when the Japanese economy collapsed from a real estate bubble and never fully recovered.

"The Japanese government moved too slowly and not aggressively enough," he says. "The problems festered."
    Don't Miss

* Job losses possibly the worst in 50 years
    * Fed's Yellen: Economy similar to Great Depression
    * How to manage your business in a recession

David George, a professor of economics at La Salle University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, says the federal government better protects ordinary people from financial ruin today than during the first stages of the Great Depression. Today we reap the benefits of policies created during that era, George says.

Roosevelt helped create New Deal legislation to insure bank deposits and enacted other modern relief efforts like unemployment compensation to help those in distress.

"By any measure, incomes were lower then than now, and the worst imaginable loss of output today would still keep the nation well above where we were back then," George says.

Marjorye Heeney is not an economist, but she definitely knows something about the Great Depression. Heeney, 83, grew up on an Oklahoma farm during the Great Depression and lived through the 1930s Dust Bowl storms. For much of that decade, "black blizzards" -- formed by a prolonged drought and poor farming techniques -- ravaged the southern Plains.

Heeney, who now lives in Topeka, Kansas, snorted when told that today's conditions remind some of the Great Depression. During the Depression, crops failed, and few had a job, car or clothes, she says.

"Everyone had one nail for themselves in the clothes closet," Henney says.

Henney says the Great Depression toughened people up. People grew and canned their own food, sewed their own clothes and learned how to make possessions last.

"No one really came from wealth, and nothing was easy," she says. "But people got by because they had a wonderful spirit of survival. We're not as gutsy. I don't know if we have that today."

Why this economic period is still frightening

Victor Matheson, an economist at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, says the nation's most recent recession was the dot-com bust, which hit around March of 2001.

"This recession has already eclipsed the dot-com bust in every fashion," he says. "During that time, the GDP did not fall much, and unemployment did not rise much."

Matheson offers one bit of good news, though. He says today's unemployment rate is not as bad as in previous eras. The unemployment rate reached 10.8 percent during the early 1980s and 25 percent during the Great Depression, he says.

Yet Matheson says there is an ominous feature to the current situation: The Federal Reserve has already lowered interest rates as far as they can go, to around zero percent, but the recession marches on.

The current recession is so "scary" that Matheson says he has reversed his attitude on Obama's $787 billion stimulus plan. He once opposed it but now supports it because he can't think of anything that might work better. He says the economy will not bounce back on its own anytime soon

"You gotta go with what you got," he says. "The Federal Reserve has loosed all of its cannons, and it has nothing left. Now we're down to fiscal policy."

Nelson, the historian who has studied the panic of 1873, says today's economy might even be worse than the American economy in 1873.

"This is a perfect storm: banks failing, stock markets declining and commodity prices dropping," Nelson says.

Nelson says it took America four years to recover from the 1873 panic. Tens of thousands of workers -- many Civil War veterans -- became homeless. Thousands lined up for food and shelter in major cities. The Gilded Age, where wealth was concentrated in the hands of a few "robber barons like John D. Rockefeller," followed the panic.
    advertisement

America, of course, pulled out of the panic. Nelson is just not quite sure how the nation is going to do it now. His ultimate assessment of today's economy is blunt:

"It looks grim."
    E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend
    Share this on:
    Mixx Digg Facebook del.icio.us reddit StumbleUpon MySpace
    | Mixx it | Share

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Check out below to see if your state got their fair share of the pork (sorry, youse Canadians don't get any.)

Give your children a big hug - they are the ones who will be paying the tab.

You can search by keyword, federal program or by state. People are going nuts seeing

what their states are asking for! This is urgent? Oh yeah, $17 BILLION for Puerto Rico????

Find projects by state or territory

See where my state comes in. They're talking about replacing a bridge that's been closed for 5 years. A two lane, 150 foot bridge.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    Seeing all that money being spent for such stupid things makes me really depressed. I'm definitely not feeling very stimulated. I don't see how many jobs new ball field light upgrades new HVAC units for UGA can create? I thought that was what Alumnists where for?
    In theory, there will be additional hires, or at least additional work-hours, in order to manufacture, ship and install the upgraded field lighting and HVAC systems at UGA. Add that to the 265 other projects allocated to the state of Georgia and then add all that to the hundreds of projects allocated to the other 49 states and--in theory--it adds up to a national economic stimulus.

How soon will the recession be reversed? I personally haven't the foggiest idea. Reading and thinking about economic and fiscal matters isn't particularly "my thing".

Years after Obama's last day in office, there will in all likelihood be an ongoing debate about whether or not the stimulus package worked and how much or how little impact it had. Just as today, there are different ideas about the effectiveness of FDR's leadership during the Great Depression that started in 1929.

I just saw where one commentator said that it would be particularly helpful to the economy if the Obama administration were to bring into effect an increased level of spending on some big ticket defense items like the very expensive F-35 military aircraft.

That commentator was criticizing the stimulus bill for not adding to or not adding enough money to the Defense Department budget.

There will be no end of opinions or debate.

I guess that's why I have not much enthusiasm for reading about economic and fiscal matters.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-21-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    In theory, there will be additional hires, or at least additional work-hours, in order to manufacture, ship and install the upgraded field lighting and HVAC systems at UGA. Add that to the 265 other projects allocated to the state of Georgia and then add all that to the hundreds of projects allocated to the other 49 states and--in theory--it adds up to a national economic stimulus.

How soon will the recession be reversed? I personally haven't the foggiest idea. Reading and thinking about economic and fiscal matters isn't particularly "my thing".

Years after Obama's last day in office, there will in all likelihood be an ongoing debate about whether or not the stimulus package worked and how much or how little impact it had. Just as today, there are different ideas about the effectiveness of FDR's leadership during the Great Depression that started in 1929.

I just saw where one commentator said that it would be particularly helpful to the economy if the Obama administration were to bring into effect an increased level of spending on some big ticket defense items like the very expensive F-35 military aircraft.

That commentator was criticizing the stimulus bill for not adding to or not adding enough money to the Defense Department budget.

There will be no end of opinions or debate.

I guess that's why I have not much enthusiasm for reading about economic and fiscal matters.
    that is pretty much it. To say that the stimulus will have no positive effect on the economy is myopic. If there is a new major building being built next to your business, the businesses in that area will see a spike in revenues.

But where should it be spent and how should it be spent, and in the end, how effective will it be? Some believe in tax cuts, some believe in spending. I believe in spending on infrastructure, because it is needed and will create the jobs where they are needed most.

and FYI - $100 billion in tax cuts costs the government the same as $100 billion in spending. Only difference is spending tends to be short term, where tax cuts can be a permanent cost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    that is pretty much it. To say that the stimulus will have no positive effect on the economy is myopic. If there is a new major building being built next to your business, the businesses in that area will see a spike in revenues.

The government is spending this money. They don't build retail buildings. They will spend it on government projects like school improvements, city building modifications and roadways. Roadways could possibly help local businesses, but their impact greatly depends on where they make these improvements. (i.e. pave that old dirt road in the country.)

But where should it be spent and how should it be spent, and in the end, how effective will it be? Some believe in tax cuts, some believe in spending. I believe in spending on infrastructure, because it is needed and will create the jobs where they are needed most.

Create jobs for whom? Construction workers? The average American is ill equipted for that type of job. ( Physical ability, age, knowledge, ect). Also have you ever gone to a construction site and tried to talk to some of the workers? Many don't speak English. This will be a stimulus package for many of our illegal aliens. (whom send back to their country of origin many of our dollars).

and FYI - $100 billion in tax cuts costs the government the same as $100 billion in spending. Only difference is spending tends to be short term, where tax cuts can be a permanent cost.

Tax cuts permanent? Since when? All it takes is a majority of one political spectrum to raise them. (And or set a limit on how long a tax cut lasts.)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7
    The government is spending this money. They don't build retail buildings..
    http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/search/retail

FWIW..

Occupation
    [quote=optical24/7;285509][ The government is spending this money. They don't build retail buildings. They will spend it on government projects like school improvements, city building modifications and roadways. Roadways could possibly help local businesses, but their impact greatly depends on where they make these improvements. (i.e. pave that old dirt road in the country.)/quote]

Paving those roads create jobs. Non-government jobs mainly, because the architect, engineer and construction company will probably be tendered out. Fixing those bridges will stop things like the Mississippi Bridge catastrophe in Minnesota and create jobs. Fixing the old schools will help prevent catastrophes like we saw recently in Haiti with the building collapsing on students.

In the end, no they are not new retail jobs or companies. This is not what I am arguing. They are jobs for blue collar, out of work individuals who now because they have income will buy a new car, go to the restaurants and hotels when they are out of town on work, get insurance, buy houses, ect. These monies will create jobs in each of the above areas, which will create jobs in other areas.

Create jobs for whom? Construction workers? The average American is ill equipted for that type of job. ( Physical ability, age, knowledge, ect). Also have you ever gone to a construction site and tried to talk to some of the workers? Many don't speak English. This will be a stimulus package for many of our illegal aliens. (whom send back to their country of origin many of our dollars).
    Okay, but think about it logically. If I create new jobs in banks, will it really trickle down? Probably at a much smaller portion. Construction workers will spend their monies in other industries. Who is to say that these bank employees will spend in the right industries to get the economy going?

And illegal immigration is another problem. But no, they will probably spend it in the US, since they do not have the money to go back home. With that said, engineers and architects still gaining work. Plus, I do not know a lot about who what illegal immigrants do for work, but with municipalities tendering out the jobs, that will probably be minimized (compared to a private company receiving the dollars).

Tax cuts permanent? Since when? All it takes is a majority of one political spectrum to raise them. (And or set a limit on how long a tax cut lasts.)
    Many of these politicians tend to make them permanent. This is why I prefer a stimulus cheque instead. Also, try getting any politician to raise taxes. Hard as heck.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This list is simply comprised of projects submitted, not that they're necessarily going to get done, or spend the allotted amount of money. A lot of this stuff is necessary, some is fluff and could be put on hold for a couple more years.

Occupation

It's a fun site to visit.

"Least critical" of all the many thousands of projects.. Doorbells installation in Laurel, Mississippi.. costed at $99,500.. estimated to provide two new jobs for doorbell installers.

Single most expensive project is a 100 acre solar energy park (or something) in Puerto Rico..$17 billion 500 million just for that one project.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

It's a fun site to visit.

"Least critical" of all the many thousands of projects.. Doorbells installation in Laurel, Mississippi.. costed at $99,500.. estimated to provide two new jobs for doorbell installers.

Single most expensive project is a 100 acre solar energy park (or something) in Puerto Rico..$17 billion 500 million just for that one project.
    Well at least at $99,500, you can tell that the majority of the spending for the doorbellers will be spent on salaries :)

Here, in the evil nation known as Canada, we have some nice things going on in my region. Many windfarms, wood pellet energy, waterfront developments, new buildings. To be honest, after years of mill and forestry job closures, this can really help my region out.

Thread Information