Thread: How you got started

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How you got started

Hey all. I am hoping to eventually open my own shop. I would like to hear some stories about how some of you (specifically opticians who own your own shops) got started. Also, I am kind of interested in what kind of business structures you use/used when starting your businesses for the purpose of getting credit with suppliers and taxation. What were some of the benefits of the way you did things? Thanks!

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My wife and I bought an existing business (65 years in the same city). It was pretty much shutting it's doors when we bought it. In the beginning my wife worked with the original owner for a few months while I worked elsewhere to produce income to live on. I would have to come in at night to make glasses.

I used the office I was working at to arrange a couple of consignment accounts to get some modern frames in our pre-owned optical shop. My wife and I had to sacrifice a lot to save the money to make it work and it was our nature to begin with not to waste money. Also, it really helped loving what we do; that is what kept motivating us when we were discouraged. We also truly love many of our customers and we care about helping them (I know it sounds kind of basic but it has worked).

I would also note that we are a low to mid price range store with a large ethnic diversity. We accept medicaid insurance. My wife speaks spanish as her first language and I can get by when put on the spot.

I would really check your areas for some small opticals w/ owners looking to get out. In order to start from scratch you'd have to come up w/ some serious money.

Good luck to you;

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I watched every newspaper for auctions, and bought a lensometer, displays, and other items, and stored them in my basement. I also bought an entire line of discontinued frames. It took me 3 years of collecting items, including my (brand new!!) $9 crock pot that I used as my salt pan. Friends gave me old frames that I scavenged the screws and temples for parts. When I opened, I had no debt. I found a side job that wouldn't interfere w/my office hours, and worked 75 hours a week.

My wife worked her job, and the first 2 years, we lived off of $16,000 per year. After 4 years, I took a small paycheck, and after 7 years, I was making what I considered a pretty good living.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Almost the truth....

I was making so much money working for an Optometrist that I needed to invest. So in 1978 I opened my first shop called "THE EYE BOUTIQUE" in a room 13x13 with a bath, yep an old motel converted to a retail center. Did that twice in two different towns. Put an optician in and advertised. Few months later added 2 more rooms,five months later moved next door in a brand new 750 sq ft space in new shopping center. One year later moved down a few spaces to 1100 sq ft space.Two years later sold it to the same OD and his partner. I was killing them pulling my old customers from 5 miles away.
    Eight months later reopened in next county then in rapid order opened 3 more. Sold them and opened 3 more in another state and then another one. Had a couple of more along the way and just opened a new one on New Years Day this year. Doing well.
    EYEGLASS SUPERMART
    It all comes down to keeping cost down in opening, advertise low, and location, location, know your market.
    The fun has been starting them up then selling and doing it again.
    Just lucky I guess.:D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We started with old used equipment that several OD's and opticians had or were going to throw away. The first lab flooded and we lost everything, so we started the same way again. We started in the spare bedroom of a mobile home and are now in a store front in a small town in Minnesota. It's lucky in ways that Diane and I are both disabled vets so we have never had to rely on the lab for income, only used the money to expand and buy supplies for the charity work.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is nothing lucky about being a disabled vet. My thanks for your service to our country.

Chip

Thread Information