Thread: New York Time Article

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Redhot Jumper New York Time Article

1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Seeing Straight Without Breaking the Bank ................

Seeing Straight Without Breaking the Bank

By LESLEY ALDERMAN
    Published: January 23, 2009
    Interesting...............and there will be more of that over the next few month or longer. It is only a week or two that some threads have popped up on OptiBoard dealing with the effects of the economy on the optical retail. Like the one pretty far on top:

Discount labs
    OptiTim

It looks like these themes are to be mostly avoided by OptiBoard members who rather talk about fun than discuss how to find some solutions to the problem. :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is frustrating to me is that an article like this reaches hundreds of thousands of readers and was probably never reviewed or moderated by a professional in our industry. In my opinion this writer's good intentions is actually hurting our business and thus affecting the economy, not helping it and the readers of this article. Educating people we come into contact with on a daily basis is the most important responsibilty we have, but it is hard to do on a large scale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    On an economy-related note: Our local paper has an article that addresses the housing values that have been plummeting nationwide. Nationally, the average price of a home has dropped about 10.6%. But in our area, it has only dropped about .33%. Coupled with our relatively low unemployment rate, we're not being hit as hard with the recession as others.

See what happens when we dump the previous Republican Governor two terms ago?
    So what if I voted for the last Republican to be elected Guv - he was a customer of ours.He then became both the youngest (first term) and oldest (last term) Governor we've had..
    And one of the few Republican Governors we've had that didn't get sent to prison for corruption. We've sent two Repub Guvs to prison versus zero Dems.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like that they did try to steer people away from online orders for specs, and that they are telling people to be educated about their coverage. On the negative side... exams every 10 years!!!
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea Lenscrafters offers a 30% Discount on glasses with AAA (AARP)

Its no bargain.

The price starts higher you can discount more.

Old tactics still create this false sense of saving money.

30% off of what starting price?? One of my customers went to check that "discount" and came back about an hour later and bought the glasses from me. This has happened many times.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Source

The American Academy has always indicated that yearly exams were not required, except for specific circumstances, some mentioned in the article. The physician quoted is certainly not alone. Read this thoroughly. I did not find it too bad myself. They provide links to support their statements and overall it is a fairly balanced article. I do not approve of Internet eyeglasses, and did find the "shop on the Internet for frames" a concern, but they do state that online eyeglasses may not be a good idea, and even indicate that Opticians take precise measurements to assure fit. Overall it is not terrible.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 02-04-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    decent article, (let's put it this way, it didn't make me cringe...too much! :D)...but I do have to disagree with the exam every 5-10 years...I don't think that is a good idea at all, I've seen many health issues get diagnosed at the eyedoc's office during a "regular" exam. Also, I'd have to warn that even though you get a "great" discount at some of the places mentioned, the patient should really shop around...getting a 30% discount is great, but what are the prices to begin with???

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    One of the best articles of this genre (eyeglasses-practical advice-self-help-budget) that I've seen. I wouldn't have to change too much if I was asked to rewrite it.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok I'll bite...

2. Go Easy on Exams. Parent reads article, rationalizes that their kids are "healthy", exam every 5 to 10 years in their mind.

3. Go Easy on Cost. Patient is chronic contact lens overwearer. Extensive Corneal Neo, with marked limbal injection. ME: "You should only wear high Dk lenses... PATIENT: Nope, fit me in the original Acuvues cause they're cheap.

8. Shop around for contact lenses and solutions. Don't mind that certain solutions are less compatible than others with certain lenses, save that couple of bucks. Went to drugstore.com...boy the reviews were right on!!! B+L Sensitive Eyes reviewers state that the solution "sterilizes" contacts. New one to me...look on the box, "Not for use as a disinfectant". But if it says it on drugstore.com, you know it's good!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Interesting article...of course I disagreed with the 5-10 yrs for eye exams. Rx for spectacles are good for 2 yrs and most folks do manage to scratch the lenses in less time than this and so how could one manage eye exams every 5-10 yrs?

This article had links to Zenni Optical who offered full prescription glasses for $8 and so I was curious.

This Zenni Optical had this review from a customer:

I like my optometrist.

He is smart and knowledgeable, and I trust him to take good care of my eyes, but his eyeglass prices are OUTRAGEOUS!

Boring metal frame: $174.
    Progressive lenses: $280
    Anti-reflective coating:$110.
    Eyeglass case: $7

TOTAL: $571 Beyond belief! Get your prescription and run!

I would stagger around in a myopic haze before I would pay that. I can get the equivalent from Zenni, shipped to my door for as little as $76.90.

Thank God we have Zenni to battle the nationwide EYEGLASS RIP-OFF!

To order successfully from Zenni, find frames that you like (perhaps your old pair fit well and looked good), and try to match size and style from Zenni's extensive selection. You will need five basic frame measurements in millimeters; lens width and height, frame width, bridge, and temple arm. Carry your mm scale when you visit an optical shop. Learn what you can and spend nothing. The effort is worth it if you are going to save $500.

I just sent in my fourth order to Zenni. Two pairs of single vision for $20.95 TOTAL, including shipping. Very low end is fine for sitting around the office reading or computing.

One of my previous pairs did have a problem: the "axis" was misaligned (confirmed by rotating the lens to see if the image cleared-up). I called Zenni and they said send it back. They fixed it, no charge.

Zenni's website has lots of good information. Give it a try!
    So this customer thought it was a 'ripoff' to pay $571 but prefers to pay $21 for two pairs of SV glasses from optical lab in China. I checked and tried to see how much Chinese workers get paid and found http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_5421651.htm

that they were paid $2,761 a YEAR....

Now, how would this customer, who preferred to pay $21 for 2 pairs, feel if he was paid $2,761 a year for his salary...would he feel ripped off too when in America people even at Walmart gets paid way more than the Chinese workers.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This person is just a "glasses are glasses" guy, and I don't think anyone here will convince him otherwise.

On the other hand, if he were in the dinner company of 5 of my clients, his mantra of "cheap uber ales" would have faced quite a challenge.

Some people, believe it or not, seek out the very best for themselves, and are willing to pay for it, despite the exact nature of their income.

I (try to) represent the best. Others do cheap.

You make your choice. Hey, even gourmands eat McD's once in a while...

but they regret it!

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-05-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Thread Information