Thread: Take it as a compliment.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Exclamation Take it as a compliment.

I was looking through the KBco lab operations manual and noticed at the end of the manual where they display various data run through their program that their is a note, and the note reads:

No tilt angle inserted in the OptiCampus program is taken as zero ( 0 °) degrees of tilt
    Note 1 on both pages 27 and 28, I have a pretty good memory and it's telling me that the data used in their example probably came from Darryl's site and not their own program. I have noticed other discrepancies in the past with their software as well. Well either Darryl is burning the candle at both ends for Zeiss and KBco or they're paying his site a great compliment, either way kudos to you brother. :cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've been approached in the past to do this kind of work, but I always have to respectfully decline, since I personally feel that it would represent a conflict of interest.

As you know Harry, it is a fairly straightforward task for a competent programmer to implement lens tilt calculations, which have appeared in a variety of journals.

However, I'm not sure why their software would have a reference to OptiCampus though, although I'm not the only one with access to the FTP site.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I had a look at their "Wrap Solutions Manual." The reference to OptiCampus is in a footnote that seems to suggest that they were using the OptiCampus calculator (or at least a similar program downloaded from here) to verify the results of their own program.

I did notice that the manual cites Keating's "Geometric, Physical, and Visual Optics, 2nd Ed" for the lens tilt calculations, although this particular text does not actually include all of the necessary calculations for correctly handling pantoscopic and face-form tilt in the presence of combined sphere and cylinder power.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information