Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart owns 1-800 Contacts?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Walmart owns 1-800 Contacts?

A contact lens rep told the doctors where I work this. They also told them that if our patients order contacts from 1-800 Contacts that Walmart calls them 11 months later and tries to schedule a doctor's appointment for them.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    A contact lens rep told the doctors where I work this. They also told them that if our patients order contacts from 1-800 Contacts that Walmart calls them 11 months later and tries to schedule a doctor's appointment for them.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

It happened early last year as I remember. Great partnership...if you are one of these companies.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No. Sorry - that's not correct. Walmart does not own 1-800 Contacts. They have entered into a partnership agreement that may be beneficial to both parties. It may not. A very close friend of mine (OD who also practices at a Walmart location) is heavily involved in the set-up aspects of all this as 1-800 is a Draper Utah based company. I wouldn't run screaming into the night - unless that's just what you do when you hear any sort of industry news involving anyone but mom and pop opticals.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are appearently many places that lists of customers can be obtained for almost any source. Oftentimes mearly an employee wanting to make a few bucks on the side who steals and sells such lists. In some cases these have been obtained from state driver's (or other specific licensing agenies, such as hunting/fishing) lists. Quite illegal but done daily.
    WM or others could just be legally or illegally obtaining lists of potential customers from such sources. And of course such places as 1-800 whatevever are not exactly known for thier integrity.
    And then there are the hackers that can pirate such lists and sell them. Listen to Kim Komando, she rants about this quite often.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, many of these sort of statements tread on VERY thin ice and are potentially libelous. 1-800 is, as a company, as legitimate as any other large, publicly traded entity. If they were proven to have illegally stolen and used personal information, it certainly would have been the ultimate downfall of the company. No, I do not work for them. Never have. No, I don't own their stock, golf with their CEO, or sleep with anyone from the marketing department. And frankly, the biggest problem I have with their existence at ALL is the time their automated robo-calls used to take away from my work days. But in fairness to them, even that has been a thing of the past for the past couple years.

Let's try to keep some semblance of decency and focus here on the boards shall we? Perhaps we'll all be a bit wiser and better at what we do because of it. The rants seriously need to stop - they are nothing but pointless.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the reason I started this thread, I didn't know what was going on and this is a great place to find out the truth. Okay, so they are in a partnership, I also read more about it on Google.

So, does anyone know if they are really calling the people who have ordered contacts and telling them it's time for an appointment and trying to make them one at Walmart? Or is this not true?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This partnership seems like a really bad business idea.

1-800 is based on convenience, ordering from home on-line. Lenses mailed to house. No trips to any store where the impulse buys entice.

Walmart seems based on the impulse buy, go in for a $15 box of contacts but leave having spent another $50 in the store.

All walmart seems to get from this partnership is a yearly visit to the OD. And a decreased number of trips to the store.

Stupid. One of the few Walmart missteps I've seen.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, 1800Contacts is contacting the patient and referring them to the nearest walmart OD based on the patient's zip code.
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    This partnership seems like a really bad business idea.

1-800 is based on convenience, ordering from home on-line. Lenses mailed to house. No trips to any store where the impulse buys entice.

Walmart seems based on the impulse buy, go in for a $15 box of contacts but leave having spent another $50 in the store.

All walmart seems to get from this partnership is a yearly visit to the OD. And a decreased number of trips to the store.

Stupid. One of the few Walmart missteps I've seen.

Harry
    I don't know Harry, If Walmart could start selling eyeglasses on line they would not have to pay all those uppity Licensed Opticians.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saw a B&L Rep tonight that confirmed the relationship between Wally and 800. Wally N 800 are damn near selling them cheaper than they can be made.

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    Yes, 1800Contacts is contacting the patient and referring them to the nearest walmart OD based on the patient's zip code.
    This seems very underhanded to me. Does it bother anyone else?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is this underhanded? Because they are working at scheduling CL patients who need their annual exam? Because it isn't with our given practice? Because we should all be on the "lets-hate-big-box" bandwagon? Look, if you wear contacts, you need your regular annual exam. The absolute best doc I've ever worked with is blissfully happy at a Walmart in town presently. His exams are the most thorough and comprehensive I've seen in my entire career. Just because the sign outside says Walmart doesn't mean every single item or service you can get there is somehow cheap and carries no value. The fact is that a good number of these patients may not be nearly as likely to schedule an exam at ALL without this extra level of prompting. And that is indeed a good thing for both the patient and for our industry. :cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just for You Ullien

It has a been a traditon of honor (a forgotten concept in today's generation at all levels of the optical field today) for any optician or optical supplier to return patients to the prescriber that they got them from origionaly. It has also been the same for prescribers to return patient's to the optician that referred the patient to them.
    Now it seems that both traditions have been abandoned at both ends and even the concept (Uilleann being an example) is rapidly disappearing from our sense of ethics. Much the same an physicians not having a financial interest in the supply of products prescribed has all but disappeared from memory.
    Glad I'm old and won't have to see much more of "Change."

Chip

How would you feel if your wholesale lab started supplying list of your customers to a compeditor for thier next exam and/or ophthalmic merchandise?
    How would your doctors feel if you recommended that they see someone else for thier next annual?
    I can damn sure tell you how I feel when I send a patient to an OMD or OD and he attempts to send them down to his optical shop after the exam.

Don't you believe that a girl should go home from the dance with the one what brung her?
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-04-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Trying to explain and ethical concept to the Godless.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    It has a been a traditon of honor (a forgotten concept in today's generation at all levels of the optical field today) for any optician or optical supplier to return patients to the prescriber that they got them from origionaly. It has also been the same for prescribers to return patient's to the optician that referred the patient to them.
    Now it seems that both traditions have been abandoned at both ends and even the concept (Uilleann being an example) is rapidly disappearing from our sense of ethics. Much the same an physicians not having a financial interest in the supply of products prescribed has all but disappeared from memory.

Chip
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 02-12-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip

How would you feel if your wholesale lab started supplying list of your customers to a compeditor for thier next exam and/or ophthalmic merchandise?
    How would your doctors feel if you recommended that they see someone else for thier next annual?
    I can damn sure tell you how I feel when I send a patient to an OMD or OD and he attempts to send them down to his optical shop after the exam.

Don't you believe that a girl should go home from the dance with the one what brung her?

Chip in today's world of optical there is no honor! The only thing they recognize is how much can you sell or put another way how much can you take from the patient after you have reached into there pocket to grab that fist full of dollars.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Hey Uilleann

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    No. Sorry - that's not correct. Walmart does not own 1-800 Contacts. They have entered into a partnership agreement that may be beneficial to both parties. It may not. A very close friend of mine (OD who also practices at a Walmart location) is heavily involved in the set-up aspects of all this as 1-800 is a Draper Utah based company. I wouldn't run screaming into the night - unless that's just what you do when you hear any sort of industry news involving anyone but mom and pop opticals.
    Take a Chill Pill!! If you re-read HappyLadys Post, you will see she is only asking if anyone else has heard of this, I would not call that screaming into the night, This forum if I am correct, is for asking questions and should be without getting bashed and insulted everytime you do. She has been here for quite a while now and has always been respectful to others.
    Good Lord Man, Have a Beer.:cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll second that motion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    I dig that idea!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I dig that idea!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Make mine a single malt...and would everybody just please calm down?! If those calls are made at 11 months post purchase, send out your recall cards at 10 months...or better yet make the next appointment before they leave the building with the rx.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip

So now you've specifically called me unethical. Extremely unethical of you to do so. Clearly you have no concept or idea of who I am, or my own personal sense of ethics. Your defamation of my own person, because you don't believe in the business practice of a third party has NO place here. Cease and desist immediately.

:finger:

If any of us can't accept that the industry and our world as a whole is very different from what it was even a few short years ago, we will be forced into a very uncomfortable spot. The ways and means by which we accomplish tasks in our profession evolves and will not bear stagnation. If one can't handle competition, you may be well advised to revise your own personal business plan and strategies. And if you can't compete fairly and ethically with another business - large or small - it may be time for you to hang up your hat. Two companies working to increase the return of CL patients for an annual exam in NO way hurts our industry, or our patients standard of care. I dare say, it may well be better than many of us have been able to accomplish in our own private practices in recent years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Take a Chill Pill!! If you re-read HappyLadys Post, you will see she is only asking if anyone else has heard of this, I would not call that screaming into the night, This forum if I am correct, is for asking questions and should be without getting bashed and insulted everytime you do. She has been here for quite a while now and has always been respectful to others.
    I truly have no idea how you read any "bashing" into my post. I live in Utah - about a five minute drive from 1-800. I've been in and spoken with many of their board members over the years. I also happen to know the district and regional managers of Walmart's vision center division here. They are all decent enough folks. And it's no surprise that they are trying to do the same thing we all do - increase our capture rates, and provide the best possible patient care.

The question was asked - and it was answered. No. There was no buy-out of anyone, and no one "owns" anyone else. It was not a merger. It is a partnership. Nothing more. I agree that we should be able to ask questions. And directly to HappyLady, if you took any insult from my response, I do humbly and sincerely apologize. None was intended. My hope was only to shed a little more accurate light on the actual situation rather than allow rumor and vague guessing run amok.

All the best! :cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ulli:
    I didn't call you unethical. I said WM-800 was unethical for recommending someone purchasing lenses at 800 to be referred to WM for future eye exams.
    I said you didn't seem to know what ethical was, and I think this is the case. One can only be unethical if one knows what ethical is.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank You,

[quote=Uilleann;282725]I truly have no idea how you read any "bashing" into my post. I live in Utah - about a five minute drive from 1-800. I've been in and spoken with many of their board members over the years. I also happen to know the district and regional managers of Walmart's vision center division here. They are all decent enough folks. And it's no surprise that they are trying to do the same thing we all do - increase our capture rates, and provide the best possible patient care.

The question was asked - and it was answered. No. There was no buy-out of anyone, and no one "owns" anyone else. It was not a merger. It is a partnership. Nothing more. I agree that we should be able to ask questions. And directly to HappyLady, if you took any insult from my response, I do humbly and sincerely apologize. None was intended. My hope was only to shed a little more accurate light on the actual situation rather than allow rumor and vague guessing run amok.

Thank You, Ullearnn, I have no ill feelings toward Walmart either, I shop there every weekend to price match, and I worked for there Vision Centers with some very fine people, I'll sit down and have a beer with you any day.

All my best,:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Here is the official version..................................

Wal-Mart Teams with 1-800 CONTACTS to Expand Vision Care Offerings
    and Increase Customer Savings

Companies estimate first of its kind alliance could save customers
    approximately $400 million on contact lenses over the next three years

BENTONVILLE, Ark. and DRAPER, Utah – January 17, 2008 – In the latest move to help drive down healthcare costs, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) today announced a long-term agreement with 1-800 CONTACTS that will bring contact lenses to more Americans at lower prices. The alliance combines Wal-Mart savings and the convenience and high quality care of independent eye doctors located in nearly 3,000 Wal-Mart Stores and Sam’s Clubs with 1-800 CONTACTS’ convenience and customer support to help customers save money and live better, healthier lives.

Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club and 1-800 CONTACTS will create efficiencies across their call centers, websites, purchasing, and distribution efforts – resulting in customer savings the companies estimate could reach $400 million over the next three years. By offering greater accessibility and savings on contact lenses, the alliance also aims to make it easier to replace lenses according to a schedule doctors recommend, a practice that may result in better eye health.

According to a 2004 Federal Trade Commission report, a McKinsey & Company survey showed that contact lens wearers use lenses longer than their doctor prescribed. Some consumers in that same survey specifically cited cost and “purchasing them is inconvenient” as reasons for over-wearing their lenses.*

“Our $4 prescription program is proof that Wal-Mart is committed to meeting America’s healthcare challenges. Our commitment to affordable eye care is no different,” said Dr. John Agwunobi, senior vice president and president for Wal-Mart’s professional services division. “Lowering costs and increasing convenience will make it easier for patients to follow their doctors’ advice and replace their lenses as recommended.”

Jonathan C. Coon, chief executive officer of 1-800 CONTACTS stated, “The majority of contact lens wearers experience high prices and limited service. This alliance can save these customers nearly 20 percent on their contact lenses while also offering the convenience of 24/7 live service from an associate by calling 1-800 CONTACTS or online at www.1800contacts.com.”

The companies expect to integrate store, web, and phone service this fall so customers can order when they want, how they want, and have their lenses delivered quickly to wherever they want.

For more information on Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s current Vision Center services, visit http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=546837 or http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...?catg=5351&n=0.

About Wal-Mart
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates Wal-Mart discount stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and Sam’s Club locations in the United States. The Company operates in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom. The Company's securities are listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol WMT. More information about Wal-Mart can be found by visiting www.WalMart.com Online merchandise sales are available at www.WalMart.com.

About 1-800 CONTACTS
    1-800 CONTACTS offers consumers an attractive alternative for obtaining replacement contact lenses in terms of convenience, price, breadth of inventory, and speed of delivery. Through its easy-to-remember, toll-free telephone number, “1-800 CONTACTS” (1-800-266-8228), and its Internet web site, www.1800contacts.com, the Company sells all of the popular brands of contact lenses. 1-800 CONTACTS offers products at competitive prices, while delivering a high level of customer service. In a public-to-private transaction, 1-800 CONTACTS was acquired by an affiliate of Fenway Partners LLC, a middle market private equity firm with approximately $2.0 billion under management. For further information about Fenway Partners, please visit www.fenwaypartners.com

* Editor’s note: From the 2004 Federal Trade Commission report, “Possible Anticompetitive Barriers to E-Commerce” available at www.ftc.gov/os/2004/03/040329clreportfinal.pdf. Specifically, consumers stated that they “try to save money by wearing their contact lenses for more days than their doctor recommends before disposing of them.” This same FTC study states that “fifty-seven percent of consumers stated they would replace their lenses more frequently if the lenses cost less.” Some consumers in the same study also said they wear their lenses longer because “purchasing them is inconvenient.”

Wal-Mart Teams with 1-800 CONTACTS

http://www.1800contacts.com/External...sReleases.aspx

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

The companies expect to integrate store, web, and phone service this fall so customers can order when they want, how they want, and have their lenses delivered quickly to wherever they want.

Does that not sound, read or look like an Essiolor deal...................?

First you become a partner and a year later they have merged. :hammer::bbg:

Have a beer on it on FEZZ ...........................:cheers::cheers::cheers:

With whom could we team up COSTCO to get them some competition ..................?

Thread Information