Thread: Help with Windows problem!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Help with Windows problem!

Okay one of you computer geniuses out there! Recently, I enabled sharing of the printer attached to my computer with the entire network at our office.

Now everyone can print on my printer, which is just fine. However, since changing the sharing attributes of my printer, everytime I boot up I get this message saying
    "ISDN device not found... please attach an ISDN device and reconfigure using the ISDN Wizard"
    What is the deal? When I try to use the ISDN Wizard, I am told "no ISDN device found." What has happened?

Thanks for your help!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs down Ah windowzzzzzz

Well this side of the pond isdn is a souped up 128k internet connection.......
    Do you have any isdn cards etc ??
    I would have a look in . Start/Settings/Control panel. open up system and you want the device manager tab. You might have a yellow triangle showing in there if you have.. you could try removing the device causing the problem or update the drivers for it..

Disclaimer
    I/we accept no responsibillty for any problems that the above advice may or may not cause. Any action taken by your self is of your own free mind not mine....
    Should your computer self distruct dont call me its mission impossible :D

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ISDN

ISDN(Intergrated Services Digital Network)
    I would also make sure that you have defined one computer\server to be the ICS host(it should be the one w\the primary internet connection).Also each computer in the network should be running an O.S. that supports networking via TCP/IP.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No warnings in the device manager... Oddly enough, if this problem were network related, I would expect it to not occur when I take the laptop home and boot it up outside the network. However, there it is- "No ISDN device detected..."

Other than this message at bootup, there do not seem to be any particular problems with the Laptop's performance (other than I just recently discovered I'm about out of hard drive space... how in the heck did I fill 3.5 gigs!?!).

Thanks for the help!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation WARNING!!!!!! TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Since i do not know what version of Windows you are using,this is a shot in the dark as to trying to figure this out...........but try this in order to get rid of the error message. You seem to only want to share your printer,but not your ISP.So you could disable your internet connection sharing.......prompting windows not to search for your ISDN connection. I'am betting on the fact that you are running windows 98..........please keep this in mind :). Ok,here we go.......locate the Ics.adm policy file located in the Tools\Mtsutil\ICS folder on the win 98 cd. This will load the Disable Internet Connection Sharing option. In doing so,this will disable the ability to route request to the internet and to hand out IP addresses on any computer that would load this profile. Please don't do this if you are unsure about your O.S. version or if you are not sure if ICS is the real problem.:( :(

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hmmm, computer advice from someone who says "Press the red button!" :D

Okay, as it happens, I do use Windows 98 as my OS. I am hooked up to a Windows NT network and the only thing I want to share is my printer. I have an internet connection, but my computer is the only one that utilizes it (and at 56k, I'm not sharing bandwidth with anyone else here ;) ).

All that said, I should still proceed with your fix and that will solve the problem (hopefully)?

Thanks for the help.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hope that this helps ............or at least point's you in the right direction. If you have the time,let me know how you make out. :)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ok,here we go.......locate the Ics.adm policy file located in the Tools\Mtsutil\ICS folder on the win 98 cd. This will load the
    Disable Internet Connection Sharing option.
    Okay, I've found the proper file... now, what do I do with it? Double click it, and the "which program do you want to open this file" window appears. I viewed it as a Notebook file for the heck of it, and I can see it is a text file. Do I insert the text somewhere in an *.ini file or what?

Thanks for your continued advice. I am pretty sure this is going to solve the problem (which is now on two computers, because I enabled printer sharing on another workstation, and the same message appears at start up).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,
    You must be logged on as the administrator. Trying to launch the utility logged on as anyone other than that won't work.
    To use the run command ............In Windows Explorer,click the program,that you want to open.Press and hold SHIFT and right-click the program,and then click on RUN AS. Then Click on RUN THE PROGRAM AS THE FOLLOWING USER. At that point type in Adm's user name,password and domain of the account that you are using. *Note* If the RUN AS fails the run as service is not running on your pc.
    Please..... please keep in mind that im doing this from memory and from afar.If i was sitting in front of your "puter" thing's would be alot easier.This kind of "tweaking" for the right problem,work's. But just keep in mind if your not 100% sure(im at90%)Don't proceed........ it will only make matters worse.

Just trying to help.

Thread Information