Thread: Please Help!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Confused Please Help!!!!

Help!!! I have recentley moved to Georgia from Maryland and have had my COA for 15+ years! I have been working at Eyes on you eyecare and if you haven't heard our beautiful optician was murdered a week ago. I am not familiar with Georgia law and now do not know if I am legally allowed to dispense glasses. I have called the Georgia board of Opticians and department of licensing and have not recieved any information! I guess my next step is to find out what book or material is best to use to study for the license. Anyone who is familiar with the law or know any good study material PLEASE let me know! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know the answers to your questions but I am very sorry to hear about the optician being murdered. :( How horrible!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by retinajen View Post
    Help!!! I have recentley moved to Georgia from Maryland and have had my COA for 15+ years! I have been working at Eyes on you eyecare and if you haven't heard our beautiful optician was murdered a week ago. I am not familiar with Georgia law and now do not know if I am legally allowed to dispense glasses. I have called the Georgia board of Opticians and department of licensing and have not recieved any information! I guess my next step is to find out what book or material is best to use to study for the license. Anyone who is familiar with the law or know any good study material PLEASE let me know! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Jasper, Georgia is one of the most beautiful areas in the state. I'm sorry that I didn't hear about the murder. What a tragedy. By any chance was the opticians name Kim??? I heard that name today at a meeting.

The laws are on the website under the Secretary of State. http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/opticians/

However, a synopsis of the law is....

In the state of Georgia, glasses and contact lenses can only be dispensed, adjusted or fit by a licensed optician, licensed optometrist or licensed physician or under the DIRECT supervision of a licensed optician, licensed optometrist or licensed physician. Direct supervision means that the person supervising either owns or is directly employed by the practice and is closely attentive while the dispensing is going on. If you work for an optometrist or physician (they must be there) they can supervise you and you would fall under their licensure.

I would recommend that you consider registering as an apprentice so that you can work toward your licensure. No hours count toward your licensure until you register with the state licensing board.

The requirements include 3000 hours apprenticeship (must be registered), current ABO certification and Current NCLE certification and passage of the practical examination. This informtion can all be found on the website.

Study material for the ABO would include the TOPS manual by Michael DiSanto which can be found at the National Academy of Opticianry. 800-229-4828. Study material for the NCLE would include the CLSA Contact Lens Manual which can be found at the NAO as well. In addition, review courses are offered at SECO in Atlanta the first of March. If you cannot attend those review courses go to www.quantumoptical.com and find the online reviews there. Keep in mind that reviews won't help if you haven't studied first, except to let you know what you may need help on.

Hope this helps.;)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Diane,
    Thank you so much! I have dispensed glasses forever but the laws in Maryland are different. Yes it was Kim and she had a dream of making this practice work. She was part owner. I guess our next step is to get a part-time optician the days the doctor is not there. I will get the study material and sign up for the apprentice program. Everyone has been a blessing in this time of need. Thanks Again!

jen

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jen,
    I'm a GA LDO and if you need any help, PM me and I'll help you any way I can.

Thread Information