Thread: Army NAVY week.....Go NAVY beat ARMY!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Army NAVY week.....Go NAVY beat ARMY!

Just to remind you folks that the first Saturday in every December another battle in the Civil War is fought.Its the Army Navy game!let me be the first Optiboarder to say Go NAVY beat Army!:D :D

The Mids and Cadets usually duke it out at Vetrans Stadium in Philadelphia, on or about noon on Saturday.If you can get a chance to take it in, its a very entertaining couple of hours.If they carry it on TV, the March on by both corps is impressive.That happens about 9:30-10:00 but they film it for broadcast just before the game. Anyway if you don't already have an alligence-root for Navy.If Navy wins, the Plebes get a "carry on" until the beginning of the next semester.Believe me they can use this!
    Thanks from Harry "GO NAVY" J
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Just curious, are you retired Navy? I love high school and college football, but could care less for professional football. Can't really figure out why.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Harry, I don't understand the "Civil War" reference, but 'Go Navy". I was stationed at the Academy in '67 before Vietnam. tremendous experience, great institution, Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mid Dad!

My son was a midshipman at USNA '95.The parents are brought into the USNA family at the end of Plebe Summer during parents weekend.The Army Navy competition dominates all except academics.The parents are brought into it from the git go, and once ingrained-it continues.
    A Civil War is the title of a marvelous book written by Feinstein ( I think) It traces the '94 season of both teams, highlighting the players and the 100 year plus rivalry between the two service academies, and some of the antics which have gone on.It is filled with many anecdotes one in particular involving my son.No, I won't tell you which one.

I think it is called a Civil War because, in spite of the intense rivalry, it is conducted civilly.It is interesting to note and I may be somewhat off on this, but on the 101st game, the overall stats for the period up till then was something like Army 48 wins, Navy 48 wins, and 4 ties!If you are into reading at all, try that book.You get hooked on the first page.I also reccomend this book to non sports fans-its a great story.
    Go NAVY!
    hj
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Harry, I went to the Naval Hospital at Annapolis (since closed) in 2.66; my duty station was the 'mid ward', my first pt. to care for was a fellow named John Cartwright, who was ther with an open pneumothorax injury playing in the cotton bowl; he was the guy that replaced Roger Staubach at QB. the middies there were mostly sports related injuries, or for cosmetic surgerys, had their own classrooms in the basement, I went from thewre to Bancroft Hall, worked with the Ophthalmologist in the EEnt clinic, learned hearing testing at Pensacola Fla., spent every third night on 24 hr. night shift. our sick bay door opened into the dining hall, where 5000 + midshipmen at all at once three times a day, family style meals, a major meal serving endeavor!! Those were the days before football players got so BIG! I turned 21 there so I wasn't much older than most of the youger classmen. I hope your son made it through, it takes something really special to graduate from a service academy, the majority of the plebe class quit before ever attending their first class. ahh, fond memories! Al.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Naval is the way to go!

My handsome husband, Brian is in the Navy. OSCS with 20 years behind him and only 4 and one half to go. (You've got to love the medical benefits) So...GO NAVY!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I say let 'em beat the tar out of each other - make it that much easier for Air Force to win the Commander's Trophy again next year! :D

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ARRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNEW someone was going to bring that up!........goairforce:(

I suppose thats the risk one takes when starting a thread!Kidding aside-Hats off to Air Force!

best to both of you Air Force fans out there in Optiboard land! from harry j
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Yeah!!!!!!

Go Air Force!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Since there have been no West Pointers around to argue...

Harry,

I am a dedicated "civvy" (never been in uniform), but my brother, father, grandfather were in the good ole USArmy! (Grandpa worked at the Pentagon for years...).

So, GO ARMY! beat Navy.

There, it had to be said, and I've said it.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file

AIR FORCE!

:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Diane
    Harry,

Just curious, are you retired Navy? I love high school and college football, but could care less for professional football. Can't really figure out why.

Diane

Actually, that's an easy one, Diane. College sports are much more intense because they MEAN SOMETHING! It the love of your alma mater. It's still pure, non professional (OK, except for Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Maimi, etc........).

Hey, your towns pro team could leave tomorrow, but your school will be there. I haven't seen a professional basketball game since the Capitol Bulletts (no, not Wizards or Washington or even Baltimore) played the Buffalo Braves with Ernie D.

But you better believe that I'll be at the Orange Bowl to watch the Terps.................

By the way, GO NAVY........Philly was always a Navy town when I was growing up and I would go to Annapolis alot.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    EyeMan,
    You have hit it right on the nose! There is nothing like the atmosphere of a college football game! Whether it is the Nittany Lion being passed up the sides of Beaver Stadium, or Renegade carrying Chief Osceola to mid field to plant the flaming spear before a Florida State game, nothing matches the intense fanatacism of collegiate sports!

As for your Terps (what do they do to celebrate anyway, release a turtle across the field ;) ), many congrats on a truly remarkable year (especially that final drive against, I believe it was, North Carolina State)... Its about time someone other than the Seminoles won the ACC! As for the Hurricanes not being a professional team, I'm not so sure this year...

Harry,
    Gotta admit, I never paid much attention to the Army/Navy game. I made a point of watching the pre-game pagentry today though. The crisp salutes on both sides of the field to the National Anthem was something to see! Well, it appears Army has the game well in hand, so I'm off to watch my Nittany Lions earn a bowl bid after starting 0-4 (hey, we take our little victories where we can!).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Aurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!

Well, Navy didn't win... never fear, however, I share in your misery! Penn State managed to lose to lowly Virginia after jumping out to a 14-3 lead...

Steve's censoring feature here on the board would not allow 99% of my thoughts here, so I'll just sum up my feelings as follows: NUTS!!!

Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well....Wait til next year!:)

One of the things I got out of John Feinsteins book which I began while rooting for Navy, but after finishing, found myself rooting for both teams.

I gave a reading at a graveside internment this afternoon so I missed most of the game.I did see some of the pregame and the kickoff and both "first possesions" I loved seeing the Navy senior do the first series....so his payback for being an all around player was to start as quarterback his final game, even though he got hammered the time he carried for 7 yd loss!!

Well just like the Red Sox....Wait till next year!
    I am also going to a memorial service tomorrow afternoon....so there goes tomorrows football.Go PATS beat the Jets!!!
    Pete, in the pregame did you see Feinstein's piece about last years Navy player who recovered from cancer and was embraced at the end of the game by USMA's superintendant? it was pretty touching.
    Lord Byron

Thread Information