Thread: New Opticians Web Site

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New Opticians Web Site

Earlier today, I published a new web site, www.handcrankers.org which is a repository of both historical and contemporary optical and ophthalmic optical information. I hope to be adding to the site daily for the next few weeks so check back often. Initially, I am focusing on historical books, many of which are still valid today. For example, read the original text of Charles Prentiss where he first cites his “rule” which a few opticians use many times a day. I am also in the process of scanning a copy of the original B&L Job Coach with all of the appedexes which I will hopefully post within the next few days. This priceless asset should be required reading by all opicians and lab technicians.

If any of you have anything that you would like to share with your brothers and sisters who labor in the opticianry vineyard please send me an email and let me know. And, please send along your comments and ideas for my wish list.

In particular I hope that some of you still have some of the old Guild magazines kicking around. I am also interested in old lens and frame sales and technocal literature. For example, I will soon put up a page on the “Grollman Measuring Device” (as soon as I recover it from my museum) which you may find interesting.

Check us out at www.handcrankers.org and send email to dick@aerovisiontech.com

Many thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will soon put up a page on the “Grollman Measuring Device” (as soon as I recover it from my museum) which you may find interesting.
    Thanks, I guess. Now I really feel old, as I didn't have to look up what it is.

can't believe you still have one of those.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Earlier today, I published a new web site, www.handcrankers.org which is a repository of both historical and contemporary optical and ophthalmic optical information. I hope to be adding to the site daily for the next few weeks so check back often. Initially, I am focusing on historical books, many of which are still valid today. For example, read the original text of Charles Prentiss where he first cites his “rule” which a few opticians use many times a day. I am also in the process of scanning a copy of the original B&L Job Coach with all of the appedexes which I will hopefully post within the next few days. This priceless asset should be required reading by all opicians and lab technicians.

If any of you have anything that you would like to share with your brothers and sisters who labor in the opticianry vineyard please send me an email and let me know. And, please send along your comments and ideas for my wish list.

In particular I hope that some of you still have some of the old Guild magazines kicking around. I am also interested in old lens and frame sales and technocal literature. For example, I will soon put up a page on the “Grollman Measuring Device” (as soon as I recover it from my museum) which you may find interesting.

Many thanks
    I have a copy of the B and L job coach already scanned, I don't know if I have all the appendexes, but I have in in an OCR version and a more web friendly PDF version just let me know and it's yours, I also have an optical progress paintings by B and L as well as a equipment book by B and L that must be old as dirt that has the inner workings of many of the equipment still in use today I can scan part of it and send it your way if you'd like. It's a great idea and let me know if their is anythign I can help with.

I also have a million old scanned optical texts as well as some of the newer ophthalmic articles that I can contribute.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked - but can't find a single "Shiner's" hospital anywhere in my local phonebook! ;) :shiner:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thanks Dick

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper have listed the site.........................

Many thanks
    Superb Idea................have listed the site under history and educational on my website listing at http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Idea!

Great idea Dick Good luck with it! I think I still have a Grollman fitting unit around somewhere- Ken Collinson gave it to me when he retired!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is a great service that you are providing. The pdf downloads are worth the wait.
    -Jim M.
    CT Licensed Optician, ABOC, NCLEC, FNAO, HFOAA

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I still have a Grolman in it's case on my shelf.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have one too, it's probably stored with the old B&L lens notcher.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

a new web site, www.handcrankers.org which is a repository of both historical and contemporary optical and ophthalmic optical information.
    It is a great step to the advancement of opticianry.:cheers:

Thread Information