Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If any breakages occur...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I had an optician who would do repair for free if the tourist would send her a postcard from where they came from. She sure got a collection of postcards from all over the world!

I suggested later to the optician that maybe we should start charging for nosepads/screws for clients who are not our patients. After all, the rent in this prime location in downtown needs to be paid, electricity, labor...etc...and we were doing so many repairs to tourists who come here in this sunny Southern California location (it had been 70's and 80's here while it is 40 below zero somewhere else...).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Of course he realized that he probably could get them for free at the place of purchase.

If you would have said I charge you $ , keep the receipt and next time you need glasses bring the receipt and we will deduct the price from the new purchase, you might have found a new customer who now had to go to the other end of town to get the freebe, spend some time and gas to get there..

Good idea!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    TRUE STORY: An optician told me of a person that came into her store with a badly adjusted frame (purchased elsewhere) with one (1) missing screw. She found a matching screw, re-adjusted and cleaned frame and lenses, and charged... $2.00.
    He went ballistic, telling her it was "illegal" for her to charge for an optical screw, and that he was going to report her, etc. She calmly stated, "These screws are all been purchased by me, and my time and expertise installing them has value. Had you purchased these eyeglasses here, there would have been no charge. But for you, the charge is $2.00". This was in 1995.
    I have had similar situations occur years ago. I always removed whatever part I had installed and returned the glasses to the customer in as close to the condition as I received them. It usually left the customer speechless or stammering at best. I always felt like a million dollars.

Hey . . . if you cant have fun a work . . .

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Rule #1 We don't get to have a bad day, no retail does.
    Rule #2 When we do have a bad day, refer to rule #1
    Customers, paying or not, don't want to deal with us having a bad day any more than we want to go into a store and deal with an employee that's having a bad day. As frustrating as it can get dealing with unappreciative people from time to time, being crabby with them will never improve the situation. Kill them with kindness. I've had more people who were flat out rude come in, and after a few minutes of being overly nice to them they generally tend to lighten up and start to be much more friendly. Plus, working with people who have a negative attitude is not enjoyable and wears on you. I used to work for a chain similar to Walmart and absolutely understand how stressful it is which is why I now work for a private optometrist. It's much more enjoyable. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I love when people come in with badly adjusted frames they got elsewhere. Really I do. First I say something like "Tsk tsk. What in the world did they do to you? You sit right down and we'll fix this for you". Adjusting is something I do very well, very custom and I take my time. While I am sitting there asking them to take their frame on and off and feeling behind their ears I am also talking to them, gaining their confidence and making them feel like they matter because they do matter. Do they come back? Yes, more than you think, or they tell their friends and co-workers about us. Once you have been in the same store for ten years or more you see the pattern and you know that it works. Delgadido? You need an attitude adjustment.
    Maybe that's the way you feel. I did not call anyone here an idiot in any way. I adjust on average 10 frames a workday. Most of these adjustments are done between sales. It isn't like I am a optical shop on the side of the road. I am in a high traffic environent

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Sometimes the parents won't bring their kids back in to us idiots for a proper dispense! I will pre-adjust a frame before ordering, if possible. When we have to order a size smaller or larger or the kid doesn't want a brown frame, we idiots don't have a lot of chance to adjust the frame for the kids.

I have been more than happy, when someone walks in with a pair of glasses they got somewhere else cheaper, to adjust a patient's glasses no matter where they got them. Parts, repairs, troubleshooting visual problems, and the like are another story though.

Please think these things through before judging all the rest of us idiots!
    I. Didn't call you an idiot. And it really isn't my job to fit a new frame that wasn't purchased from me. Only time I did was for hurricane ike because people had to rush out of corpus christi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We take a hybrid approach on the adjustments/nosepads thing. Optiboard has helped form my thinking on this.

We actually have a training module in our shop called "How to change nosepads". Nowhere in the training does it reference screws, types of pads even where to find them. The training involves making this person feel good about the fit, the service, the professionalism we exibit, and especially about themselves. Oh and don't forget to show them some platinum and horn frames or any of the other dozen things that separate us from the others.

Do we charge for nosepads, screws, and adjustments? We let the patient decide.

We don't ask for payment (unless it is an actual repair). But when they ask "how much", we quote them $5. Or sometimes I just say something like "The cost is pretty steep, you have to tell two people about the great frame selection and outstanding level of professionalism we have here". They laugh and maybe they actually do. If I can impress someone else's client enough to recommend us to their friends - how much is that marketing worth!!

And BTW, if the client pays in cash, we just stuff it in a fish bowl for an office party. It's not worth the computer entry time. And it makes this task LOTS more fun!

It's kind of a game. We try to offer such good adjustments, and smiles, and all the rest that the (soon to be) client is actually pleading with us to take money.

But remember that sometimes an item that is paid for is more highly valued than a gift. Many times people actually WANT to pay. And I will not deny them that satisfaction. I'm serious. Some people will feel better about the experience if they can say to themselves "That was really worth more than the $5 I paid!" vs "I wish he would have let me pay for that"

Cost of a pair of silicone nosepads: $0.22
    Cost of labor to install pads and adjust eyewear: $2.25
    Seeing your co-workers smile while a (former) WM client begs you to take money: Priceless

BTW, If we break a frame that we did not supply, we will replace it with a new one as quickly as possible. In fact I have even gone to WM and purchased a frame at full retail to replace a frame that we broke. I relish those type marketing opportunities.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Perfect sales psychology.........................

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

Seeing your co-workers smile while a (former) WM client begs you to take money: Priceless

Perfect sales psychology.........................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    Maybe that's the way you feel. I did not call anyone here an idiot in any way. I adjust on average 10 frames a workday. Most of these adjustments are done between sales. It isn't like I am a optical shop on the side of the road. I am in a high traffic environent
    I didn't hear nor read between the lines anyone here calling you an idiot. You placed a post that suggested frustration in doing something that many feel is just part of the job. You will find that on Optiboard, and especially amongst those of us who have seemingly nothing better to do all day than post here is a strong customer service ethic. Many of us are, or work for independents and not a large chain. Apparently you do and therefore feel you can pick and choose who you offer service to because it does not affect your bottom line nor your paycheck. This is fine as long as you never want to work anywhere else in this business because if you do you will find that your attitude does not carry over well to the smaller offices.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think a couple people here are taking what Delgadido says a bit too personally. As someone who has worked at more than one high traffic chain (including WM) I can tell you right now, it's a completely different beast than in a slower paced independant/OD office. Depending on how busy you are, you don't have the TIME to spend on people who aren't customers of yours.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I think a couple people here are taking what Delgadido says a bit too personally. As someone who has worked at more than one high traffic chain (including WM) I can tell you right now, it's a completely different beast than in a slower paced independant/OD office. Depending on how busy you are, you don't have the TIME to spend on people who aren't customers of yours.
    Yes, I do take it personally!!! I have worked at a high volume chain. I still looked at everyone who walked in as a potential patient. That may mean that someone in for an adjustment who has never purchased from us would have to wait while we helped paying customers. But we would always help. This is a service industry. One of the few things that separate opticians in the eyes of the public is the level of service. Including the chain, I have worked in 6 different locations. I have had patients follow me from one to the next because of the level of service I provide. It is a wonderful feeling to know that the reason someone has stayed at an office was because of you.

Not many professions will have customer loyalty like that. Especially since I am just "the glasses guy."

Never pass up an opportunity to impress someone. They may never buy from you, but they may be the patient that becomes a lifelong customer with 4 pair per year.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to say that I've been in the situation where I was helping a pt with glasses and someone came in (no, they did not get their glasses from me) and they needed a new nosepad. I told them I would be right with them, then asked the pt I was helping if they would mind if I took a minute while they were looking, to fix the other person's glasses. The pt said sure, as they almost always will, then after everything was done and the person left, the pt commented on how nice she thought it was that I helped that person out.

My point is that, especially in a busy office, other "paying" customers see what you are doing, hear what you say, and see your attitude (good or bad)...if the attitude isn't so great, they may feel like you will treat them the same way later...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I didn't hear nor read between the lines anyone here calling you an idiot. You placed a post that suggested frustration in doing something that many feel is just part of the job. You will find that on Optiboard, and especially amongst those of us who have seemingly nothing better to do all day than post here is a strong customer service ethic. Many of us are, or work for independents and not a large chain. Apparently you do and therefore feel you can pick and choose who you offer service to because it does not affect your bottom line nor your paycheck. This is fine as long as you never want to work anywhere else in this business because if you do you will find that your attitude does not carry over well to the smaller offices.
    i am not using this as a career for the rest of my life. I am going to stay at walmart until i finish my degree in nursing. I didnt attack anyone and I did state it isnt my job.

i am not going ot look back at the post but someone stated i called them an idiot.

I did say it wasnt my job to properly dispense a frame for someone who got their glasses somewhere else and if it was brand new.

what high volume chain did you work at?

Walmart for sure gets the very rich to the very poor. we have a variety of people that come into the vision center because it is a very diverse store. I am sure if I worked for a small optical shop I would be much happier but they dont work with my school scheduele.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Yes, I do take it personally!!! I have worked at a high volume chain. I still looked at everyone who walked in as a potential patient. That may mean that someone in for an adjustment who has never purchased from us would have to wait while we helped paying customers. But we would always help. This is a service industry. One of the few things that separate opticians in the eyes of the public is the level of service. Including the chain, I have worked in 6 different locations. I have had patients follow me from one to the next because of the level of service I provide. It is a wonderful feeling to know that the reason someone has stayed at an office was because of you.

Not many professions will have customer loyalty like that. Especially since I am just "the glasses guy."

Never pass up an opportunity to impress someone. They may never buy from you, but they may be the patient that becomes a lifelong customer with 4 pair per year.
    Because of me? The patients that come in mean everything to me as far as for helping. The people that come inbetween go to places such as eye masters and get the 2 for 100 deal with a frame that is less of a quality that they purchase at a cheap pharmacy.

to be more specific about the customers. depending upon the situation is where i feel there is a problem.

The people that are ok
    Out of town- it isnt their fault. they need help bottom line. i have no problem
    People who moved in to SA- read above
    Veterans-The people at the VA are idiots and they need proper fitting especially if they served in the military
    Families of patients- customer service
    other workers in walmart- co-workers
    victims of natural disasters that are forced to evacuate- it isnt their fault they are here

The people that are not ok
    people who come in with an attitude- not my problem. especially since they arent customers(most of the time)
    People who need their glasses fitted into them properly cause joe schmo didnt do it- it isnt my job to fix someone else's work, plus they usually come at a busy time and hold up sales
    people who are forced to come because their optical is closed-they should have thought about coming to us because of time conveniance
    people who come because we are closer-read above.

Bottom line. It may sound like I am coming off like an *******. But it is merely the way that I type. I am generally a passive guy and really dont have too many bad days. at work. But sometimes when you are busy with sales you dont have enough time to adjust someone's frames for free. whether I make a dollar out of it or not the patients that purchase from me are top priority. They pay for my time to be there and I am expected to give them full service.

It is hard when you have a line of 4 and 2 of them are needing adjustments and they are between the actual paying customers.

And people have different definitions of large chains

some people will called it
    lenscrafters
    eye masters

to me the big chains are
    super target
    walmart

you get more than just people walking through a mall or driving down the street. we are constantly filled with random people.

I apologize if you felt like I attacked you personally but I am just stating about how I feel with these customers. and I wanted your input about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I am adjusting I cannot be held responsible...

I made a previous thread where this topic came up.

I dont cause any damage usually. maybe i broke an old temple sleeve but that is as far as it goes.

but it gets rather ridiculous when you have to adjust a brand new frame for a kid because some idiot didnt fit them in it properly.

It has always sat in the back of my head to deny the adjusting of a brand new frame or someone who comes in with an attitude.
    If they get the frame from us that is one thing. if they are bringing it from the optical down the street cause it is closed is another.

I do work at walmart and I know that there are plenty of unprofessional and uneducated idiots in the company.

But I do quite a bit of adjustments for alot of people out there. Sometimes if I am in a bad mood I usually say it in a unfriendly way just to buzz them off.

but how many people actually come back to buy glasses for you?

I would like to discuss the whole concept of this because these people will be satisfied with their frames they recieved from their previous optician and will go back there instead of purchasing from the adjuster.

I think unless they are from out of town they should go back to their original shop or send the frame back to their online store for their adjustments.

any input?
    i am not using this as a career for the rest of my life. I am going to stay at walmart until i finish my degree in nursing. I didnt attack anyone and I did state it isnt my job.

i am not going ot look back at the post but someone stated i called them an idiot.
    Please see above!!! I saved you the trouble of going back to the OP.

I did say it wasnt my job to properly dispense a frame for someone who got their glasses somewhere else and if it was brand new.

what high volume chain did you work at?
    I worked at a $4M Lenscrafters. Is that high enough volume for you? Total of 10 employees including management. Usually 2-3 in the lab and 2-3 on the floor at any given time.

Walmart for sure gets the very rich to the very poor. we have a variety of people that come into the vision center because it is a very diverse store. I am sure if I worked for a small optical shop I would be much happier but they dont work with my school scheduele.

Because of me? The patients that come in mean everything to me as far as for helping. The people that come inbetween go to places such as eye masters and get the 2 for 100 deal with a frame that is less of a quality that they purchase at a cheap pharmacy.

to be more specific about the customers. depending upon the situation is where i feel there is a problem.

The people that are ok
    Out of town- it isnt their fault. they need help bottom line. i have no problem
    People who moved in to SA- read above
    Veterans-The people at the VA are idiots and they need proper fitting especially if they served in the military
    Families of patients- customer service
    other workers in walmart- co-workers
    victims of natural disasters that are forced to evacuate- it isnt their fault they are here

The people that are not ok
    people who come in with an attitude- not my problem. especially since they arent customers(most of the time)
    Give them a reason to change their attitude!!
    People who need their glasses fitted into them properly cause joe schmo didnt do it- it isnt my job to fix someone else's work, plus they usually come at a busy time and hold up sales
    If the parents would bring the kids to the dispense, you wouldn't have to worry about that as often.
    people who are forced to come because their optical is closed-they should have thought about coming to us because of time conveniance
    people who come because we are closer-read above.

Bottom line. It may sound like I am coming off like an *******. But it is merely the way that I type. I am generally a passive guy and really dont have too many bad days. at work. But sometimes when you are busy with sales you dont have enough time to adjust someone's frames for free. whether I make a dollar out of it or not the patients that purchase from me are top priority. They pay for my time to be there and I am expected to give them full service.

It is hard when you have a line of 4 and 2 of them are needing adjustments and they are between the actual paying customers.

And people have different definitions of large chains

some people will called it
    lenscrafters
    eye masters

to me the big chains are
    super target
    walmart

you get more than just people walking through a mall or driving down the street. we are constantly filled with random people.

I apologize if you felt like I attacked you personally but I am just stating about how I feel with these customers. and I wanted your input about it.

rant off!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think some here are missing the point. Of course anyone on the receiving end of a freebie will be grateful, may return and/or tell friend. Sure, providing free adjustment/nosepads offer an opportunity to showcase your knowledge and skills.

The issue is whether a professional should charge for their skills and expertise. In my view a professional nurse, accountant, lawn mower, etc sells both his expertise and his time. Only the 'profession' of opticianry gives their skill and time away without charge.

Many Contact lens specialists sell boxes of lenses for $1.00 over cost, which doesn't even begin to cover the stores handling charges or overhead.

Free adjustments/nosepads and the like belong to the last century.
    The professional optician of today acts like a good sales clerk... knowledgeable, helpful, resourseful... and sales clerks don't charge for their expertise and time .

Until we as an industry begins to value our professional standing enough to insist on appropriate renumeration for ALL our professional time, then we are little more than very good sales clerks. :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    I think some here are missing the point. Of course anyone on the receiving end of a freebie will be grateful, may return and/or tell friend. Sure, providing free adjustment/nosepads offer an opportunity to showcase your knowledge and skills.

The issue is whether a professional should charge for their skills and expertise. In my view a professional nurse, accountant, lawn mower, etc sells both his expertise and his time. Only the 'profession' of opticianry gives their skill and time away without charge.

Many Contact lens specialists sell boxes of lenses for $1.00 over cost, which doesn't even begin to cover the stores handling charges or overhead.

Free adjustments/nosepads and the like belong to the last century.
    The professional optician of today acts like a good sales clerk... knowledgeable, helpful, resourseful... and sales clerks don't charge for their expertise and time .

Until we as an industry begins to value our professional standing enough to insist on appropriate renumeration for ALL our professional time, then we are little more than very good sales clerks. :(
    I agree that we should charge for parts and repairs. I think adjustments should be done as a courtesy. There are several national tire stores that will offer to check your tire pressure and top them off. Kinda like an adjustment. Some of them will do a flat repair for free, knowing that you will be more likely to come back to them when you are in need. Sorta similar to a nosepad or screw replacement. Both types of places have their following.

It really comes down to what your area and clientel will support. If you can get $10 per nosepad and stay in business then by all means do so. If you can save someone $5 in gas by changing their nosepads for free and now realize you are closer and friendlier than their previous office, then so be it.

opticianjohn

Cheap Advertising & Marketing

Similar to what others responded with, I use it as an opportunity to advertise and market the office I work at. I will talk about our quality frames and talk a little about the office. The customer is satisfied with the minor repair I fixed and then I amaze them with the adjustments and cleaning to their eyewear.

Most respond by asking how much they owe? I simply reply, by returning when they need their next eye exam. I have seen quite a few return.

Sometimes giving a "free" service can result in high returns. ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in a small practice, with only two OD's and myself. I can't even begin to count how many adjustments/repairs I've done for people who aren't our patients. I have every single one ask how much the charge is and every single one is so surprised and thankful when I tell them it's no charge. I'd say about 95% express their gratitude and tell me how great and helpful I am. I probably see about 75% of them back for eye exams and new glasses and they also tell their friends and family about our great service. It pays to be friendly and helpful. You can't put a price on great customer service these days!! It really is the best form of marketing!!:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [quote=Delgadido;281074]i am not using this as a career for the rest of my life. I am going to stay at walmart until i finish my degree in nursing. I didnt attack anyone and I did state it isnt my job.

Sounds to me like you're a young'un who had a bad day and just needed to vent. That said, you could have just stated it was a rant (everyone gets POed every now and then) without all the "not my job" declarations. By now you've learned that to us oldbies, what you think is not your job is in reality the crux of your job. In short, in your store means they're your customer which means it's your job.
    Good for you for getting a degree in nursing. I hope you know that there will be even more crabby people with even more disgusting problems that you'll ever see in optical. And you just can't wrap their catheter around your leg and take a walk. (got that one from a nursing friend of mine - he actually used that threat on a crotchety old man)Hopefully, you'll be a bit more mature by then because everyone in whatever facilty you work in will be your resposibility. But at least you won't have the Boss pressuring you to get out and sell, sell, sell.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Amen brother! I'm too interested in looking after a customer properly who will purchased a $600 pair of glasses from me before doing a free repair for someone who purchased the glasses from their OD.
    I charge a $10 "fitting fee" for adjustments for non-customers. If they are visiting my city I gladly provide a complimentary fitting.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    What do those 100 pairs of nose pads cost? What does the labor cost to put them on and adjust? What about the potential sales that are lost when you are replacing nosepads for free, and not making the sale that bolts because you were too busy with charity work?

I wonder how many folks would feel a bit differently if it was your own $$$ buying those *free* nose pads? I wonder how you would feel paying an employee to do charity work.

Food for thought?
    Amen.

And I must add, even when they are paying, at the very least have them leave the glasses for minimum 1/2 hour, instead of doing the pad/screw replacement on the spot. That way it does not take away from your sales. If you are in a busy store, minimum 1 hour for repairs.
    -Jim M.
    CT Licensed Optician, ABOC, NCLEC, FNAO, HFOAA

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is my money buying those free nose pads, and as a one man/one woman store, it's my time that's diverted. I still think prompt free service with a smile is the best approach. I can't out stock, out advertise, out fancy, out cheap my competion, but I can at least be nice.
    Many of my customers left much more elaborate shops and became my customers because I was nice to them, for free.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I can't out stock, out advertise, out fancy, out cheap my competion, but I can at least be nice.
    Many of my customers left much more elaborate shops and became my customers because I was nice to them, for free. Chip
    I so agree. And it costs nothing to be "nice". So often I hear "I love you guys because you are so nice.....and normal". I think it's a breath of fresh air for some people and more so as the economy changes and we as a nation find value in and embrace the "old ways".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I so agree. And it costs nothing to be "nice". So often I hear "I love you guys because you are so nice.....and normal". I think it's a breath of fresh air for some people and more so as the economy changes and we as a nation find value in and embrace the "old ways".
    By all means, be nice to the customer, regardless of what service you are providing.

I do need to clarify why I have people leave their glasses. I work in a small shop that usually staffs 2 people at a time, and on some days I am by myself, so my hands can be tied if it gets busy suddenly. I will make an exception if it is a emergency. But for the most part, I rarely get an objection to leaving repairs for 1/2 hour.

As for charging, I get $10 for a pair of nosepads/$5 for screws if the glasses were not purchased from me. Again, objections are rare. If they object, I just say "Well, I'll make an exception in this case." They always thank me.
    -Jim M.
    CT Licensed Optician, ABOC, NCLEC, FNAO, HFOAA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to clarify some of the statements that were said earlier:

My mechanic will often look at my vehicle and not charge. He cleared a diagnostic code (service engine light) last week at no charge.

My plumber will often provide free services. For example, once he dropped off a $2 part for a project I was working on - no charge. It cost him not only the part, but the time and a few miles in a F250 truck.

My computer tech will often answer questions over the phone without charge.

Even my Primary Care Doctor will provide some expertise over the phone and written Rxs for a misplaced one without charge.

My accountant does the same.

Our own O.D. will provide phone advice without charging.

Am I more of a professional than any of these people? My plumber has a license, but I don't. The state thinks that the plumber is more of a professional.

Professionals give away services often - even lawyers.

Sure some will say that these examples are different because I am a client of these service providers. That point is valid, but even contractors give free quotes for prospective clients. And lawyers do the same.

Thread Information