Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twice in One day

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Twice in One day

Ok, this has to be an anomaly. I had some guy earlier today that had his lens busted because he took a puck in the face. It was shattered but still intact. He had some bruising on his face but he was hit by a slap shot at high speed. It was a simple plastic lens. He still has his eye because of the glasses that he was wearing. If he was wearing a poly lens he would have still had to have replaced it because it would have been beyond seeing through. Same day had a friend with a -1,00 cyl that got refracted at our store yet figured Lenscrafters was the only place he could get his glasses quickly (obvioulsy a stumbling point on our part) but he can't see through them. Tells me he is getting a weird 3d effect. Chrom Abb? I think so. Bottom line, I HATE POLY!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Ok, this has to be an anomaly. I had some guy earlier today that had his lens busted because he took a puck in the face. It was shattered but still intact. He had some bruising on his face but he was hit by a slap shot at high speed. It was a simple plastic lens. He still has his eye because of the glasses that he was wearing. If he was wearing a poly lens he would have still had to have replaced it because it would have been beyond seeing through. Same day had a friend with a -1,00 cyl that got refracted at our store yet figured Lenscrafters was the only place he could get his glasses quickly (obvioulsy a stumbling point on our part) but he can't see through them. Tells me he is getting a weird 3d effect. Chrom Abb? I think so. Bottom line, I HATE POLY!
    I don't think the chrome abbe was the cause of the 3D effect. He would have noticed discoloration from it. It was probably a poly surfaced in an unclean way that made the lens more distorted. I mean in it LC.

and he should be playing with a visor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tells me he is getting a weird 3d effect. Chrom Abb? I think so. Bottom line, I HATE POLY!
    And just maybe your Doc wrote the script 90 off axis, same effect.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    And just maybe your Doc wrote the script 90 off axis, same effect.
    Unlikely, but I'll follow up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had some guy earlier today that had his lens busted because he took a puck in the face. It was shattered but still intact. He had some bruising on his face but he was hit by a slap shot at high speed. It was a simple plastic lens. He still has his eye because of the glasses that he was wearing.
    If he was wearing a poly lens he would have still had to have replaced it because it would have been beyond seeing through. Bottom line, I HATE POLY!
    Please re-read your statements, and then really try to justify that plastic is safer than poly.

And what exactly is other optical manufacturer or vendor?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Please re-read your statements, and then really try to justify that plastic is safer than poly.

And what exactly is other optical manufacturer or vendor?
    Are you serious? The lens was cracked. It saved his face. Other optical manufacturer or vendor? I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you serious? The lens was cracked. It saved his face. Other optical manufacturer or vendor? I'm not sure what you are talking about there.
    Glass may have also, but you stated that the plastic cracked, but the poly would have been beyond seeing thru. I get that he was better off with the plastic that cracked, than the poly that was beyond seeing thru. Right or wrong??

Other optical manufacturer or vendor is whats listed as your occupation.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other optical manufacturer or vendor is whats listed as your occupation.
    His official title is that he "defends the store from rock attacks." But I can assure you that Ken is legit and awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not sure where you are coming from but I'll say it again. Either poly or plastic this guy would have to replace a lens and Im sure there is no argument that through out the regular wear of his glasses that his vision was a lot better through a regular platic lens then it would have been through poly.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Either poly or plastic this guy would have to replace a lens...
    ...but considering you mentioned "puck", wouldn't he have less of a chance to have to replace an eye had he been wearing poly?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    ...but considering you mentioned "puck", wouldn't he have less of a chance to have to replace an eye had he been wearing poly?

LOL! I guess he might have had less of a chance of replacing an eye if he had to replace an eye. He just had to replace a lens.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL! I guess he might have had less of a chance of replacing an eye if he had to replace an eye. He just had to replace a lens.
    My mistake! I thought because you had mentioned a high speed projectile, you were concerned about the patient's safety, not the lens.

My bad...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    My mistake! I thought because you had mentioned a high speed projectile, you were concerned about the patient's safety, not the lens.

My bad...
    So you're saying that I'm not? So you think I told this dude to go and play sports with reckless abandon in a fashion frame with a nylor mount? I can pretty much assure you that is not the case. He did and did we think we needed to mention that he should not play sports with high velocity projectiles whilst wearing said frames? Our bad.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    His official title is that he "defends the store from rock attacks." But I can assure you that Ken is legit and awesome.

And thanks! :)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Scarecrows again.................

edKENdance............good post.

It is the American Opticians, not continent, USA only, that are wetting their pants when thinking that they might be taken to court, when an object hits a lens and a injury occurs.

Wonder what the heck they do with people that wear no glasses and get hit by a puck and get the eye injured.

Poly is not sold on the market today is not always top quality, there is a major player right now that sell. SV and lens blanks in all types of multifocals poly, that have un-equal coatings. One half of the lens has a double thick hard coat than the other half. How is that for precision ? :D

Occupation
    Most the SV poly I use today is aspheric, flat, and 1.0 - 1.2 mm thin. The SV CR-39 I use is best from and 2.0 mm thick. It's like comparing apples to oranges, flatter lenses loose some of their safety, thinner lenses loose some of their safety, it may be that we are blindly relying on the material when their could be other factors that come into play with safety.

An example safety eyewear in CR can be made with a thickness of 3mm and in poly 2mm, so if there is only a 1mm difference to gain similar safety advantages then the above scenario with a CR and an aspheric poly shoudl have smilar safety advantages, right?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the scenario given, there are far too many variables to claim victory solely on the impact resistance to CR-39 alone. Angle of incidence of the impacting object, surface contact area at moment of impact, actual force of impact (F=ma etc.), surface scratching (depth and extent) that already existed on the given lens at time of impact, temperature, texture of the impacting object surface...and so on

ANY lens material can crack given the right conditions. You guys are smart enough to know that. You can also walk on hot coals without burning the tootsies - but it's because even though the coals look hot (or the puck seemed like it was imparting a MASSIVE amount of force) it may not have been as severe as one might otherwise guess.

Regardless, I think we can also all agree that as a general rule, hockey pucks to the general area of the face...usually not such a great idea! :shiner: Usually. LOL

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im happy that your customers lens shattered, but was still lucky enough to stay in the frame.

thats the anomaly.

so is your customer going to continue pressing his luck with cr-39, or switch to a safer poly or trivex lens?

personally i would take a scuffed poly or trivex lens over a shattered cr-39 any day... even if it did happen to stay in the frame and out of my eye this time

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wasn't this whole Duty To Warn business started after a teen got hit in the face with a baseball wearing CR-39 lenses in a nylon mount?

http://www.eyecarebiz.com/article.aspx?article=50088

And here's one where a glass lens shattered.

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...5.87-3490.html
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Wasn't this whole Duty To Warn business started after a teen got hit in the face with a baseball wearing CR-39 lenses in a nylon mount?

http://www.eyecarebiz.com/article.aspx?article=50088

And here's one where a glass lens shattered.

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...5.87-3490.html
    Yeah, but that's just for us paranoid opticians in the US. Of course, if Chris could develop a do it yourself poly kit, his song would change.;)

Banned
    Occupation
    I don't think anyone has ever said that poly is the best for correcting poor vision.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here we go again!............

Trivex is the best material from which to make a lens. It's lighter than poly, it's stronger than poly, and it's clearer than poly!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ditto what Harry said.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone remind me to get Jacqui a box of chocolates!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

**Here comes the Trivex haters!**

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Trivex is the best material from which to make a lens. It's lighter than poly, it's stronger than poly, and it's clearer than poly!
    DOH!!!!

Harry, Harry, Harry...........you had to say it. You know that your statements are going to get our freshman member Uilleann all worked up! You keep that kind of attitude and he is liable to throw on his magic poly cape and fly right in here and set you straight!!!!!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Thread Information