Thread: Today I called ......

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Today I called ......

INDIA!!! I tried to call Ciba Vision to ask about a credit that i had send, i was told to call a new 1-866 number. To my surprise i was talking to some dude in india about my ciba account. I asked what had happened to diana mayhew who was my ciba account manager, and was told she retired.
    Retired, more likely the scenario that "ms. mayhew we have decided that we are giving your job to india and you can retire or we can fire you, either way, good luck finding a new job in retail, maybe we can write a referral for you at the Gap."
    I truly think that this is total bullsh!t that these companies are sending good paying Canadian jobs to these Indian call centres to save a few extra bucks.
    What really bothers me is that I had developed a wonderful business relationship with my account manger who understood my business and what i needed to conduct my business.
    I guess all of the other companies B&L, Cooper, and the whole bunch will end up doing the same.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It is the way of the world. If a job can be performed somewhere else for significantly less, why not do it that way? There are a lot of well educated people in India who can help you just as well over the phone.

Will they stop by with donuts? I doubt it!

I'm not saying I like it. But realistically if you could have a lens surfaced/edged in India with the same turnaround time as your typical lab, but for half the price wouldn't it just be good business sense to do it?

And please don't use the ! to swear. This is supposed to be a civil, family friendly forum.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Educated yes, but can they speak and understand redneck?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    I'm not saying I like it. But realistically if you could have a lens surfaced/edged in India with the same turnaround time as your typical lab, but for half the price wouldn't it just be good business sense to do it?
    It is already done, not out of India as far as I know, but out of Thailand where some Europeans have set up labs that do actually service European Opticals with lab jobs at much lower prices including transport.

But is this the right way to support the recession and leave Canadian companies out in the cold ?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    It is already done, not out of India as far as I know, but out of Thailand where some Europeans have set up labs that do actually service European Opticals with lab jobs at much lower prices including transport.

But is this the right way to support the recession and leave Canadian companies out in the cold ?
    Could say the same thing about American companies. Some are having jobs done in Korea, China and Thailand. India is starting to advertise and it will only be a short while until they are doing them too.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

It is simple economics. If I can get equal quality for a lower price I will. Would I rather support the local guy? Absolutely! But if I have to pay a 30% premium to do so, it's not going to work.

Should I pass on that 30% increase to my customer? They will buy from the guy down the street who is buying foreign. I suppose I could push the idea that my product is more expensive because it is a "premium" product but really, if it isn't (just more expensive) then I'm lying.

Unfortunately we North Americans want to earn a lot and buy products for the lowest price possible. This opens the door for the overseas business whose labour costs are a fraction of ours.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You better get use to it... It was done looong time ago in computer industries. That's why Global Economic Sucks!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    It is simple economics.

Unfortunately we North Americans want to earn a lot and buy products for the lowest price possible. This opens the door for the overseas business whose labour costs are a fraction of ours.
    In1979-890 when Communmist China opened up their huge markets to Americans, and the shrewd Yankee capitalists sought to exploit this large, untapped market for their USA goods, so long as they built a factory (but had to be overly large, with the latest production equipment)and China had to own at least 51% to keep it a Chinese enterprise. So already half of all profit was destined to stay outside the USA.
    And with good equipment and cheap labour, China began to make some good products that cost so much less per unit than the tired US factories were producing, that these US factories began to be closed down by US management. End of US jobs, never to return. It's been on CNN for many years now.
    Like the junk of Japan in the 1950's eventually morphed into the quality camera, TV's stereos, cars, etc you see today.
    The shrewd and crafty US businessman has been eaten by the Asian Tigers, and China now has over $500US Billion in reserves, and so many new factories.
    Only hope is for new (green) enterprises that stay at home and less dependence on foreign oil. Obama is pledged to that, so there is some hope. You are all so very lucky to have him! :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

It's a change of time.
    We've got to adapt to the changes and think more global. Buy for less and possibly pass on the savings. Let's have the clients refer others to our businesses at this economic time.:)

Occupation

Blue Jumper You are right.............

Quote Originally Posted by i care guy View Post
    It's a change of time.
    We've got to adapt to the changes and think more global. Buy for less and possibly pass on the savings. Let's have the clients refer others to our businesses at this economic time.
    You are right.............Every time there was a recession over the last 25 years there was some change, but this is different. Frames and lenses have been overpriced, very often to the warranty business where you pay ahead of time for any replacements done down the way, and that goes for frames as well as lenses.

There are barely any independent labs left in Canada, most of them are corporation owned, reminds me of the old Imperial Optical days............only probably worse looking at the future..

I have seen an increase in sales over the last 3-4 month of consumable products to the trade. It seem that retailers are doing their own finishing lab work instead of ordering a finished job and pay the highest possible price. That is of course the best solution at this time, to be able to pass on savings to the consumer and still make a reasonable profit.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Remember what got FDR out of the last recession...

Remember FDR's New Deal, and a dozen other projects didn't work.
    Only a Global World War can cure a recession. (Actually that's what Germany was trying to get of too when they started one.)

So who needs there *** kicked in a world wide conflict? Bring 'em on and forget all these silly little public works projects.

But then I doubt if our current population and leadership would let us have one, too much polution and global green distruction.

Chip

Occupation

Blue Jumper retirement will be only half the fun ..............

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Only a Global World War can cure a recession. (Actually that's what Germany was trying to get of too when they started one.)

Before an during World War II the USA was an industrial country.............today it is a consumer and service oriented country, even your optical lenses and frames are made elsewhere. Gay's can marry each other.

A war will not cure the recession any more, as it did in the last century and the ones before.

These days the cure starts with all of us tightening our belts, stop big spending, drive our cars 10 years longer. Because in a few years from now some currencies will be worth half of what they are today. Our retirement will be only half the fun we will be able to pay for. :hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris:

In a World War you have to be or immeadiatly become an industrial country. One cannot buy the materials for war from China and Mexico, especially if they are the enemy.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

My dear friends,

Lets think positive and not even talk about any wars !!

Peace is light whereas war is darkness. Peace is life; war is death. Peace is guidance; war is error. Peace is the foundation of God; war is satanic institution. Peace is the illumination of the world of humanity; war is the destroyer of human foundations. When we consider outcomes in the world of existence we find that peace and fellowship are factors of upbuilding and betterment whereas war and strife are the causes of destruction and disintegration.

" The Earth is but ONE country and Mankind its Citizen "

Regards, M:)

Thread Information