Thread: ABO/NCLE Test May 2009

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

ABO/NCLE Test May 2009

OK folks, the applications are on the ABO/NCLE website.....Im taking it..because like a goober I missed it by one point in May of last year..:hammer:

Anyone taking it in Kentucky? And for those that have Im assuming its in Lexington so its at the University of Kentucky site?? Information would be appreciated.

Good Luck to all...and take it from me...the idiot...really...study. It sucks to miss it by ONE FREAKING point!!!!

Let the study games begin!!!!:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A friend of mine missed it by one point in May 2008 also but took it in November 2008 and PASSED! I'm sure you will pass this time, you know that to expect now. From what I've been told, there is only about a 60% passing rate for the ABO. Good luck!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello to all!! I'm new to OptiBoard as of today!! I'm taking the ABO exam in May and I'm wondering to all that have taken it what the very best study material is. I want to start studying ASAP and would like to know what to get from the experts!! ;) As of now, I work at a private eye clinic in VA and do all of the dispensing, adjusting, repairing of eyewear. But I really would like to become certified!! So, I have some knowledge, but not nearly enough!! Please help me find some great books to study from!!

Thank you!!

Amanda

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard Amanda!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I suggest two excellent books for you! The knowledge in these books will get you through the ABO exam and be valuable assets in your career!

TOPS Manual, by Michael DiSanto
    System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, by Brooks (Often times called the "Blue Bible" of dispensing)

I think these two books should be in every optical professionals library!

EyeCare Professional Magazine had a great article about building an optical library in their January 2008 edition:

www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/optical-library.asp
    Last edited by Fezz; 01-19-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Coincidence?

hey Fezz, I just happen to have those same books in my library(along with a few others)... the NAO's advanced opticians tutorial isn't bad either.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've been ABOC for 18 years until I let it lapse about 2 years ago. Can I take the advanced test or do I have to start all over again?
    Procrastingating TX optician

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, so I just ordered the Systems for Opthalmic Dispensing 3rd Edition from Amazon tonight. Is the 3rd Edition alot better that the 2nd Edition? Also, can you only get the TOPS Manual from the NAO site?

Is it bad that I'm actually excited and determined to study for this exam?! I'll be questioning this decision a few weeks into studying I'm sure!!

Good Luck Sharonm516!! I'm sure you pass with flying colors this time!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would also suggest the Certification Review Book (https://www.netforumondemand.com/ewe...6-ab7f7d88c69e) from OAA, also written by Mike DiSanto. If the link doesn't work, you can call OAA at 1-800-433-8997. The TOPS Manual gives a more in depth look at optical theory, which is essential. However, the Certification Review Book just touches on the theory but gives examples of how to actually put it into practice. It also includes practice tests at the end of each chapter, which will help you prepare for the ABO. Good luck!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second the idea of purchasing the Certification Review book by Michael DiSanto. It is the only thing I used to study for the ABO and I made a 92%. Includes worksheets, quizzes, and even a practice test.

Good Luck!
    :cheers:
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticalAmanda View Post
    Ok, so I just ordered the Systems for Opthalmic Dispensing 3rd Edition from Amazon tonight. Is the 3rd Edition alot better that the 2nd Edition? Also, can you only get the TOPS Manual from the NAO site?

Is it bad that I'm actually excited and determined to study for this exam?! I'll be questioning this decision a few weeks into studying I'm sure!!

Good Luck Sharonm516!! I'm sure you pass with flying colors this time!!
    Thanks! I just have the blue bible and the review kit from the NAO....seems to be pretty in depth when I took it the first time. I just didnt start studying until about a week before the test (hubby came back from Iraq at the same time....)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Sharonm516! Good luck on your exam and tell your husband that I said thank you for fighting for our country! And don't feel bad about failing by one point. I did that with one of my exams too and if my husband just came back from Iraq, I would probably failed by a lot more than that ;):D !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeguy842 View Post
    I've been ABOC for 18 years until I let it lapse about 2 years ago. Can I take the advanced test or do I have to start all over again?
    Procrastingating TX optician
    I think that you may have to start over again and wait a full 3 years since it lapsed 2 years ago and you haven't renewed yet, but call the ABO/NCLE to verify cause I may be wrong (won't be the first time)!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

eyeguy

Any ABO certified optician is eligible to sit for the AC exam. You don't have to wait 3 years, but you DO have to be currently certified. If that means retaking the basic exam or doing your ce's then so be it. The three year wait ( from the time you're certified till you enter the master program) only applies to those candidates in the Master's Program. I should know... I'm waiting...
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    Hi Sharonm516! Good luck on your exam and tell your husband that I said thank you for fighting for our country! And don't feel bad about failing by one point. I did that with one of my exams too and if my husband just came back from Iraq, I would probably failed by a lot more than that ;):D !
    LOL He says "thank you"...it was our 4th time over there....you would think I would get used to it, but he came home May 8th and the test was a week later...so yeah....no studying there. :D
    But this time he is home, so no reason not to pass....just have to get my butt in gear and do it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Study help

I'm glad he's home and I know you'll pass this time! If you need any help or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by GAgal View Post
    I'm glad he's home and I know you'll pass this time! If you need any help or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

:thankyou Thats so nice of you!

Thread Information