Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crizal Forte?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Crizal Forte?

So I got an email from my old employer that Essilor is coming out with a new AR that is as hard as glass.

Anyone hear about this?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper invitation for crazing................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

So I got an email from my old employer that Essilor is coming out with a new AR that is as hard as glass.

Anyone hear about this?

Love tha one .............................if put on glass it will be like glass, what it is anyhow..................

.................but when put on plastic lenses it will be the superb invitation for crazing andchipping.

I make a hard coat that is hard as glass and works beautiful on metal but has to be softened for use on optical lenses because it would craze at any temperature change.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Love tha one .............................if put on glass it will be like glass, what it is anyhow..................

.................but when put on plastic lenses it will be the superb invitation for crazing andchipping.

I make a hard coat that is hard as glass and works beautiful on metal but has to be softened for use on optical lenses because it would craze at any temperature change.
    It will not be as hard as glass on CR-39, but the point is that it is harder.

Occupation

Chris,

That's what interest me what did they have to sacrifice to get the coating harder?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Super Duper Premium Coating....................

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Chris,

That's what interest me what did they have to sacrifice to get the coating harder?
    Harry..........actually nothing. The AR coating base is SIO2 (silicone dioxide) which in turn is glass + plus some oxides as per their own fromula.

The next is the hard coat, which is not really a hard coat, but a medium to adhere to the plastic lens, and in turn have a maximum adherance to the AR layer. So its there to make the AR stick to plastic.
    On glass lenses this is a total non issue.

This coating layer can be made harder or softer, but there is point of saturation. When made too hard it will simply craze or delaminate with temperature changes. The Essilor's are smart enough to know that and have done a good job at it so far. It's all just a logic simple fact.

And if that hardness is actually harder, it would probably be a non measurable fraction and I would put it into the category of BS to make more money, with more claims of a super duper premium AR coating that some opticians will pick up with pleasure.

You can't make the SIO2 layer any harder than it is

Occupation
    Harry..........actually nothing. The AR coating base is SIO2 (silicone dioxide) which in turn is glass + plus some oxides as per their own fromula.

The next is the hard coat, which is not really a hard coat, but a medium to adhere to the plastic lens, and in turn have a maximum adherance to the AR layer. So its there to make the AR stick to plastic.

This coating layer can be made harder or softer, but there is point of saturation. When made too hard it will simply craze or delaminate with temperature changes. The Essilor's are smart enough to know that and have done a good job at it so far. It's all just a logic simple fact.

And if that hardness is actually harder, it would probably be a non measurable fraction and I would put it into the category of BS to make more money, with more claims of a super duper premium AR coating that some opticians will pick up with pleasure.

What about Hoya Super Hi?

It is measured as harder than competitor ARs.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What about making a harder seal coat on top of the AR stack??

Occupation
    http://www.essilor.co.uk/lensinfo/co...izalforte.html

Here's some of what Essilor has to say about it..

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another Crizal product? Is this one supposed to be better the Avance?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard something about this lens from our E rep about a week ago. From what he's been told so far, it's not really a replacement for Avancé as such - more of an enhancement to it's durability and longevity. But the branding there using the "Forte" (Forté?) name make me wonder. Perhaps that's just the European branding of Avancé? Time will tell I'm sure...

Occupation

Blue Jumper the branding there using the "Forte" (Forté?)

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

But the branding there using the "Forte" (Forté?) name make me wonder. Perhaps that's just the European branding of Avancé? Time will tell I'm sure...

that means strong ................or stronger, which translates into

fort (fôrt, frt) n. 1. A fortified place or position stationed with troops.
    2. A permanent army post.

[Middle English, strength, stronghold, from Old French, strong, strength, from Latin fortis; see bhergh-2 in Indo-European roots.]

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Crizal Forte has been out a while now just wondered how you guys are getting along with it, is it as good as essilor claim?

In the UK they say if they get scratched there is a no quibble gurantee for 2 years that they will replace the lenses

I just replaced a pair, the lenses were clearly abused pit marks etc however it transpires that it is still our call whether the lenses get replaced or not

So the gurantee is for us and not the consumer is this correct?

Alan

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Anyone hear about this?

Probably the same as the new Hoya AR.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Omg......

Anyone hear about this?
    Like Glass My **S! :shiner:

Let me guess, I'll bet it's more expensive right?? I don't care what they "SAY" about it. I will not upgrade my A/R choice a single step further until it comes with a CHEAPER price.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Great explaination

I with Chris on this one. The plastic, (of any current lens type is not as hard as glass), must have a way to bond and support this tough outer layer. Almost all AR's have been using, "Glass" as there final layer for years. To get better test results the hard coating must beable to support the toughness.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Like Glass My **S! :shiner:

Let me guess, I'll bet it's more expensive right?? I don't care what they "SAY" about it. I will not upgrade my A/R choice a single step further until it comes with a CHEAPER price.
    Do you have the stats to back all of this up? Even if it is not as hard as glass, but is significantly harder, doesn't that mean something?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The new Avance AR is hands down the best AR I have ever seen and I have been wearing and selling AR since 1986. It stays clean. I have never had another AR that stayed clean, not Teflon, not Hoya High Vision, not Carat Advantage, not Alize.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I think most of Hoya's stuff if proprietary, even though they may be chemically similar. Hoya uses something called substrate matching to help prevent crazing due to temp change. The lens and the coating expand at the same rate.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Probably not.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Probably not.

I should have said the idea's been copied from Hoya. I have a pair of the new EX3 on id Lifestyle on order for my surgeon's wife.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Waves...

Notice how the "NEW" products all seem to hit the market in waves? Especially new progs, and A/R coats. It's just a game of oneupmanship(?) being played, as usual. Can't let the other guy come out with something w/o/ a response from us. ;)
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Most probably NOT.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    The new Avance AR is hands down the best AR I have ever seen and I have been wearing and selling AR since 1986. It stays clean. I have never had another AR that stayed clean, not Teflon, not Hoya High Vision, not Carat Advantage, not Alize.
    Avance is supposedly in the category of Super Hi Vision from Hoya. Comparing it to Teflon or Hi Vision is like comparing a cast mold progressive to digitally surfaced. (no offense Teflon, but it is hard to keep clean and it is about the same bayer rating as Hi Vision :))

Occupation
    I can easily say that Forte, Alize and Avance are superior in ease of clean to Super Hi. I have a pair of lenses with Super Hi and all I notice is how hard they are to clean

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Oh Boy...........................

I can easily say that Forte, Alize and Avance are superior in ease of clean to Super Hi. I have a pair of leses with Super Hi and all I notice is how hard they are to clean
    Oh Boy.................what a love for the big corporation.

Thread Information