Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attn.lab owners

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This guys wired enough without the coffee, no Starbucks for you. :D:p:D

Quote Originally Posted by renee1111
    Please understand that there is such a thing as a “cursed” job, anyone that has worked in a lab will know this
    I hate these jobs, it starts out you don't have the lens in stock you order it and it's gonna take longer cause it's on back order, then you get it and the customer service rep sent you the wrong lens or the picker packed the wrong lenses doesn't matter because the go to is always, "we read it back to you" so you order the lens agaion now your down shipping twice on the one job and then you get it and God forbid the thing gets !@#$ in the edger or generator or ____________ (fill in the blank) then you finallly get it done it's some three to foru weeks later because of all the fiascoes and the optician on the other end frogot to order a tint or the lens is 2 degrees of on a 0.25 cyl. It's enough to go optical. (similar to postal except you run out into the street and just start randomly cutting people with a knife edge +8.00 lens someone ordered for a grooved frame :hammer:)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Thumbs up Its true Harry

You have me laughing Harry, because its so true. Some jobs are just cursed! Its been that way as far back as I remember. I'm guessing this didn't happen when all we had was glass and a few frames. ???

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    You have me laughing Harry, because its so true. Some jobs are just cursed! Its been that way as far back as I remember. I'm guessing this didn't happen when all we had was glass and a few frames. ???
    It goes back farther than you'd think, this is an image of Christian Huygans in 1678 explaining to Louis the XIV that the swirl marks are from the wretched polishers, back then they didn't have a way of filtering the slurry and checking the baum. Almost got beheaded, anyway that's the story I'm telling. :D:cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hyugens.jpg  

Occupation
    This one is a note from a fledgling optician to Benjamin Franklin:

"Dear Mr Franklin,

I ordered through your lab beacause everyone in the colonies has been ravign about the new, as they call them 'bi-focals' apparently they are all the rage with the aristocrats. I sent you a pair of McAlisters in hopes of having this new lens placed within, however I have never recieved such poor service. This is not becoming of a gentleman of your nature, the lenses had obvious cracks down the middle of both the right and left lenses, I have drawn and illustration to show you the extent of the damage. This is unacceptable, BTW if you can send me and extra pair of these new 'bifocals' for my aunt and give me a 20% volume discount (I know I just opened an account with you but I'm good for it).

Sincerely Optician"

True Story Ben almost threw out the idea of biocals, that was 1784. :bbg:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails franklin.jpg  

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    It goes back farther than you'd think, this is an image of Christian Huygans in 1678 explaining to Louis the XIV that the swirl marks are from the wretched polishers, back then they didn't have a way of filtering the slurry and checking the baum. Almost got beheaded, anyway that's the story I'm telling. :D:cheers:
    I bet even Alhazen had his jinx jobs.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    And Fraunhoffer, they were always nitpicking his work seems there were no ANSI standards back then so if it was 1 degree off it was back the lab with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fraunhoffer.jpg  

Occupation
    The guy in the front with the women that's Hemholtz, the guy in the background?

Yep lab rat, that guy had to remake that lens like 15 times seems Hemholtz was accidentally holding it in front of the ambloyopic eye, duh. The lab guy finally snapped when Hemholtz said, "Dr remakes are FREE, right?". He had to be institutionalized. Sad state of affairs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hemholtz.jpg  

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wanted to add into this conversation for one reason only. I am having the exact problem. We had two labs. One for vsp(don't yell at me for that), and one for backup. If one is having a problem we would use the other. Right now neither are doing even a good job. With that said I am shopping for a new lab too.

I know the lab rats(this to me means the best in the lab)are a dime a dozen. I know that finding replacements are difficult, however our labs needs to be creating new lab rats. Instilling passion in them for them to learn their trade and learn to love what they do. This is not happening. In the last two and half months, I can promise that my main lab can't be final inspecting most of my jobs. The reason I say that is that I am getting jobs that there is no way they were final inspected. I have had single vision jobs take 6 weeks. I have had almost all of my LaFont zyl's messed up. I get a straight drill job for the life of me. I have stress cracks right out of the lab packaging...I could go on. You might ask why are you waiting to change? The main reason is I love the lab rep and the people who try and fix things(sr customer service person). We have had a "Come to Jesus"conversation already and are meeting today to see why it has not gotten better since that meeting. I have already interview two other labs. I am trying to fix things.

Please understand from an ecp point of view, that we feel frustrated that we have bad lab problems and yes we do think that the labs do things on purpose(well not all the time;)), but we usually deal. We have to face the patient with "well your glasses didn't pass our final inspection again:, and hope they don't want a refund or aren't going to yell and scream at the optician..

Just another look at lab problems
    Christina

Occupation
    As a lab rat (owner), I agree with almost everything said here. I have a job here with a -2.50 cyl. that I cannot get to come out staight, and I'm getting tired of seeing it. Some of the problem I'm sure, comes from the fact that most wholesale labs try to do too much in order to keep profits up.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am of the opinion that all ECP's, regardless of designation or level of education, should have to work in a wholesale lab. That's the route many of us more "seasoned" ECP's have taken. It certainly gives one a very different perspective on lab work. No, the finish lab in the back of your shop doesn't count. :shiner:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I am of the opinion that all ECP's, regardless of designation or level of education, should have to work in a wholesale lab. That's the route many of us more "seasoned" ECP's have taken. It certainly gives one a very different perspective on lab work. No, the finish lab in the back of your shop doesn't count. :shiner:
    That's the way I had to do it. :D I'm glad I did, it gives me a better understanding of what's going on.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well at least we got a chance to say how much we loved our labs and the people who so competently make us look good!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I bet even Alhazen had his jinx jobs.

You got it buddy, actually Alhazen was the first to come up with the concept of lab sponsored training around 965 AD. :bbg: As witnessed in the first optician CE credit pictured below. They offered free figs, dates, bread, and wine. That's also where the concept of wine and dine 'em came from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alhazen.JPG  

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You got it buddy, actually Alhazen was the first to come up with the concept of lab sponsored training around 965 AD. :bbg: As witnessed in the first optician CE credit pictured below. They offered free figs, dates, bread, and wine. That's also where the concept of wine and dine 'em came from.

Thanks for the humor...I needed some laughter after I check in the last stuff I received from my lab

:cheers:
    christina

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Well at least we got a chance to say how much we loved our labs and the people who so competently make us look good!

Harry, your so right if I do my job flawlessly their no reason fro complaints or praises, but one mistake and it gets thrown into the memory along with all the other mistakes along the year or years. It's a thankless job but I understand and love what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020
    I know the lab rats(this to me means the best in the lab)are a dime a dozen. I know that finding replacements are difficult, however our labs needs to be creating new lab rats. Instilling passion in them for them to learn their trade and learn to love what they do. This is not happening.
    That's because evry lab only needs one or two good lab rats and then a gaggle of button pushers, the margins are slim and getting slimmer. Ther is no incentive when most accounts are lookign for CHEAPO LAB, but want quality service and fast turnaround. Heck I want a million dollar home and a porsche, but it ain't gonna happen unless I get outta the lab and into the dispensary 'cause we all know that's where the millions are. :bbg:

Thanks for the humor...I needed some laughter after I check in the last stuff I received from my lab
    Glad I could help, it was more for my mental state. I am working an 8 hour day with 2 opticians that's counting me I should say, 8 drill jobs (that I do by hand), 2 I and R's, 1 VF, and seconds between to throw up posts and get my spirit back. Bussssy day.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 01-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry loratz

Quote Originally Posted by loratz View Post
    I CURRENTLY HAVE SEVERAL LAB ACCOUNTS,SOME JOBS I SEND TO CERTAIN LABS BECAUSE OF TIMING AND PRODUCT AVAILABILITY.BUT,RECENTLY(I HAVE NOTICED) LAB OWNERS HAVE TAKEN A STANCE OF PUTTING PEOPLE WITH LITTLE OR NO LAB EXPERIENCE IN THE FINAL CHECKOUT POSITION (PROBABLY TO INCREASE THEIR PROFIT MARGIN).BIGGEST BUSINESS MISTAKE THEY COULD MAKE.I CURRENTLY DO AN AVERAGE SALE OF 1000.00 OR MORE(MOST CONSIST OF DESIGNER FRAME,DIGITAL/FREEFORM AND PREMIUM AR).WITH THESE KIND OF SALES(PAYING THE PREMIUM PRICE TO THE LAB) I WOULD EXPECT JOBS NOT TO COME IN LOOKING LIKE A 2nd GRADER GOT A HOLD OF THE GLASSES AND THEN GET PASSED AT FINAL INSPECTION.AS OF THIS MOMENT I HAVE SEVERAL JOBS FROM ALL DIFFERENT LABS WITH MOST HITTING A MONTH TURN AROUND WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE AND THE PATIENTS ARE INQUIRING ABOUT REFUNDS (WHICH THEY SHOULD BE).SO, TO GIVE YOU LAB OWNERS A PIECE OF BUSINESS ADVICE,NUMBER 1 GET A TRAINED PROF.AT LAB CHECKOUT,2 STOP LOOKING FOR MORE BUSINESS WHEN YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE JOB LOAD YOU CURRENTLY HAVE(YOUR JUST TICKING OFF YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNTS),AND FINALLY WHEN YOU SEND OUT YOUR LAB SALES REPS TO SOLICIT FOR BUSINESS AND YOU COME TO MY PRACTICE(OPTICIAN OWNED) OR ANOTHER OPTICIAN OWNED PRACTICE AND DONT DO JACK AND THEN IN TURN TAKE OUT AN OD RIGHT UP ROAD AND WINE AND DINE THEM FOR THEIR BUSINESS (WHEN YOU DO MORE VOLUME THAN THEY DO) "THAT'S JUST STUPID", ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNOW THAT OD AND TURNED THEM ON TO YOU TO BEGIN WITH.SO,IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A "GREAT LAB" PLEASE LET ME KNOW.:shiner:
    Loratz your post sounds like you have had problems with many labs. Are you possibly one of these unreasonable people who cant be pleased? Maybe you should try Essilor you'll just LOOOOVE THem (NOT), and im willing to bet you gonna reaaaaaallllly love Digital when you start getting jobs from them.
    Maybe loratz , just maybe , its you and not all these labs??
    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-16-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Occupation

Easy on that Lab

renee1111 You just touched the tip of the iceberg. Labs get thrown under the bus constantly by under trained personnel in front of pt. We DO NOT try to keep a job for extended periods or mess it up on purpose. Also the margins are WAYYY different for us. It is ironic that the office wants the best product produced on the best machines at a discount price. When I get my lab equipment for free the lens prices will definetely be discounted down. Until then I will continue to hoard lenses in backroom in tray that says HOLD or GRIND WRONGthat is encrusted in diamonds, on top of my pile of money.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Attn: Lee H.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    loratz,
    My guess is that you are in SC because this is the area Bruce covered for Luzerne Optical for the past 4 years. Bruce left Luzerne in April '08 and you're right Luzerne doesn't have a rep that has taken Bruce's place. Judy came on board with Luzerne after April so the two have never met. I am sorry that you have had a difficult time with some orders from our lab. I've been on the wholesale side of this business for the past 23 years. The first 18 was working for working one of the major players, Southern Optical, which became a part of Essilor (ELOA) in 1996. I made a change in early 2004 to go to work for Luzerne Optical as an independent rep with $0 sales and paying all expenses out of my pocket. Bruce Rylant left ELOA in early 2004 and did the same thing. I do not know all of the details of your situation with the company or with Bruce but I will tell you Bruce is one terrific person and has worked his butt off to be where he is. He may have "wined and dined" custmers over the years but rest assured this was in an effort to bring in some business in order to make a living and the cost came 100% out of his pocket, as did the gas to get there. Bruce is a good rep and a good man. I am sure it would upset him to know that a customer felt he did not treat them fairly. Bruce is not the kind of rep or the kind of person that would do that.

Its unfortunate that Luzerne hasn't found a replacement for the quality rep they lost in Bruce Rylant but it isn't an easy task. Especially when that rep will be an independent rep paying all of his expenses and gas ranging from $1.50 to $4.00 per gallon and hotels from $60 to $120. With all this being said I have had the pleasure of working with many different labs (ELOA network and Luzerne) and I can tell you no lab is perfect. Its a difficult business as is retail. Labs have orders that we screw up. Good labs do not ship them but start another pair that will meet or exceed you and your patient's expectations. Labs go thru ups and downs as sometimes business is coming in so fast its hard to keep up and other times it may slow down and the lab has more equipment and people than they have work. In my 5 years with Luzerne I will say that I have apologized for quality less than I did the whole 18 years prior. This isn't meant to be a shot at anyone (I respect my former employer immensely) but a staement of fact of the high quality control standards that Luzerne Optical and the Dougherty family have. Are there some jobs that take too long? You bet. Are some of these our fault? Of course. Are some caused by lens backorders? You bet. What about special orders that have to be done at the big lab in Texas? These tend to take longer....especially when they may eperience some tough times. I have seen Luzerne go thru more than several pairs of lenses to process an order that should have never been ordered in the first place. Its a tough business on both sides but I know that good reps can and do make a difference. A good customer service rep can make a difference as well. A good relationship with them is so very important. The bottom line is to try to give that patient of yours the most comfortable eyewear possible that will help them look and see their very best. I believe it takes a "team". I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with our company. I assure you and anyone else that reads this, that Luzerne Optical is one of the top quality labs in our industry. I know you have already made a switch to another lab and there isn't anything I can do about the past. However, if you need some help on any existing orders that are at Luzerne. please pm me or call my cell # (704) 791-8058. I live in Charlotte and do not cover your area but rest assured, I will do everything in my power to resolve the issue... including calling the patient or writing a letter if necessary. I will throw in a Starbucks gift card for the patient on each order you have that has been at Luzerne for a month that isn't a "backorder"situation. Just give me a call and give me your account # and the patient names.

I wish you success in finding a new lab and again apologize for the irritation we have caused you.

Lee
    Wow Lee H. That was a very professional response. What area do you sell? Wish you were my rep. You had the professionalism to try to help with this one job that loratz says is so old. Let us all know if loratz takes you up on it and allows you to help otherwise it looks like a hatchet job to me. If this loratz cant supply you with the details that you asked for it sounds like your co. may have some legal recourse. Strange that loratz has SEVERAL JOBS FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT LABS all over a month old.
    Then this loratz had the audacity to attack another rep by name because he took someone to dinner. Sounds like a bad case of sour grapes to me and pure pettiness.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was starting to think I was the only one having issues(final checkout) with the labs'.Kudos to you christina.:cheers:Lee,that was a very gracious response,thank you.I had no issue with Bruce, nicest guy you will ever meet.As for having "lab experience" I have worked in 3 diff.wholesale labs and 2 retail labs,one being the lab manager and the other asst.lab manager total time in labs 16 years.Started out as a lab rat ($5 an hour)moved up the chain and finally the big leap on opening my own optical practice.During this period of working in the labs I was taught about stringent checkout and quality which is not being followed today(in my opinion).The point I was making (considering I'm using 3 different labs now 75% are coming in screwed up"which passed FINAL INSPECTION" 2 diff. base curves with no power diff., wrong shapes,drill jobs coming in loose and on and on),please keep in mind most are on the 3rd time around.The possibilities of this happening with all 3 at once, my odds of winning the lottery is better(which I will be buying those tickets today).Back to the point,being familiar with the lab(labor,materials cost and etc.)was just to express my 2 cents to lab owners(take it for what its worth to you to hear from"the field") and to ask people on this site their recommendation on a alternative lab to meet my needs.Wining and Dining(Harry) was just what I have witnessed during the time I have been open,basically 'reps' (be it frames,contact lens and etc) treating owner opticians like VSP treats optician owned practices.Last rep who came to me I bought them lunch.I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.Sincerly,Ldo/practice owner and a former "LAB RAT".

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I should have waited for the "Lab Irritations"forum.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Que commercial...

I should have waited for the "Lab Irritations"forum.
    ---------------Wanna getaway---------------:p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe all these lab rats causing outlandish delays are spending their entire working day reading Optiboard Forums??:D;)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.Sincerly,Ldo/practice owner and a former "LAB RAT".

I can't believe any self respecting lab rat would have made the original post ......but that's not unusual for me....I didn't believe the original post to begin with. Something just didn't ring true.....Perhaps that you had many jobs over a month in process from many labs. Sorry,.... just couldn't believe that coming from a pro. I'm a skeptic at heart.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Maybe all these lab rats causing outlandish delays are spending their entire working day reading Optiboard Forums??:D;)

Not Me ;) ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's enough to go optical. (similar to postal except you run out into the street and just start randomly cutting people with a knife edge +8.00 lens someone ordered for a grooved frame :hammer:)
    LOL! I bet it was also polarized!

Heard a funny story from my lab that a local "optician" had ordered lenses in 1.67 and returned them because the edge thickness wasn't 1.67!
    LOL!

Thread Information