Thread: A new subject "Bioptic Driving"....................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper A new subject "Bioptic Driving"....................

Bioptic Driving
    Has anybody heard or any expierience with low vision driving ?

What is Low Vision Driving?
    Low vision driving, or vision-assisted driving, as I prefer to call it, is driving with the use of a device called a bioptic. A bioptic is a small telescope mounted in the lens of a pair of glasses. The telescope aids the driver in seeing road signs and other objects at a distance. Many states now allow drivers who cannot meet their state's standard vision requirements to drive if they are fitted with a bioptic telescope and meet certain other guidelines.

http://www.geocities.com/bioptic_driving/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With all telescope no matter how mounted, one's field of view is highly restrictes. i.e. being able to see things on the side of one can be equally as important as seeing things in front of one. Doesn't sound like the best approach to the problem.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Best bet is

DON'T LET THEM DRIVE !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume no night driving anyway. Really it would be in our best interest not to let some people drive but it isn't that easy to take away that privilage especially seniors. Sometimes that is their last bit of freedom. Still, I have seen them park sideways in the parking lot then come in with their DMV sheet that say's they need an exam. The exam shows good enough vision so off they go not accounting for the fact that they are losing it mentally and physically. In our state last week a 79 year old man was killed by a semi when he entered the interstate going the wrong way. The state police knew he was there due to calls but could not get to the area in time to stop him. Disorientation and confusion is probably worse than wearing a telescope on your head.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Celebrating Nearly 12 Years as a Bioptic Driver

Intro: Bioptics make driving possible for some low-vision drivers. Read this awakening story by CareerConnect mentor, Deanna Austin

http://www.afb.org/Section.asp?Secti...ocumentID=3804

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What an Awsume Story,

Good for her, i'ts nice to see that there are efforts being made in some states for someone with low vision to have the independance to drive. But also on the other hand, to provide extensive training and testing to assure all of us are safe on the road, I think our risk of having an accident with a teenage driver is higher than with some one who uses this device.

Just my take, Ginster:)

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Here I found some pictures on the bioptic glassses..........

http://www.albinism.org/publications...sion-aids.html

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was a lowvision tech many years ago in maine Itought lowvision people how to drive with the device. what a ceazy, time. the state of main put a stop to it. Had some pretty close calls on I95 outside of WAterville Maine MOst of them failed
    Bill Swain

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow. Haven't heard of this yet. Very interesting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

wow....

Couldn't help but notice the patient in your picture doesn't seem to be on what I refer to as the "Downhill side of the age curve/slope". I am all for people keeping their personal freedoms as long as possible. I think a vision device like this for someone lets say from 20-50 years old sounds like something I wouldn't mind. But when they get to the point(myself included) where more than just your vision is fading then I don't think I'd trust someone at the DMV office to sign off on someone's true ability to perform well behind the wheel. Mixed feelings on this.

Can't help but wonder also what the Optician/Dr.'s liability will be when one of these drivers mows down a sidewalk full of pedestrians at the mall?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually years ago we used to set people up for a telescopic image using a contact lens for the posterior lens and spectacles for the anterior. Gave them better distance vision but inhibited the field even being so designed.
    Can't see a forward set up being even nearly as good.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago I had a video on this topic and was impressed by how adaptable man can be. It showed various persons in California driving during daylight only, and they all performed with a focus on driving that was remarkable. They were heavily State tested, and took to the task very seriously.
    Not like those I see every day... balancing a continuous cell phone while turning with one hand.:(

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These people are not driving while peering through telescopes. You will notice the scopes are mounted superiorly on the spectacles. This allows the wearer to use their regular distance vision, spectacle corrected, which can give them reasonable peripheral vison and orientation, then dropping one's head to view through the scopes for more detailed vision. Under the right circumstances, alternating like this can work well for walking, working, and other activities. I'm a little skeptical about the driving though, and a restricted drivers licence is not obtainable in many, or most jurisdictions for people whose visual impairment requires the use of head borne visual aids.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bioptic telescope driving in California got a significant push from Milton Levin OD and Dennis Kelleher EdD (Special Education Consultant, Office of the Director, Special Education Division California Department of Education ).

The bioptic is mounted off center and tilted up. For general driving, the carrier is used as the viewing lens. To "spot" a particular target, e.g. a sign, etc, the patient/driver lowers their head slightly and uses the telescope to read the target.

Requiring great skill, this last step was the trickiest.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Actually years ago we used to set people up for a telescopic image using a contact lens for the posterior lens and spectacles for the anterior. Gave them better distance vision but inhibited the field even being so designed.
    Can't see a forward set up being even nearly as good.

Chip

We did the same thing. Big difference we found was that if we fit them with the right correction from the start in contacts and they were able to insert and take out fairly well that gave them the best vision and they liked better then wearing the glasses and contacts. Big thing was fit and if they could handle taken them out and putting them in.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Research has shown that bioptic drivers who HAVE received training on the road are far safer drivers than 'normally' sighted drivers. Those who have not received training, are much less safe drivers than 'normally' sighted drivers. So training does make a difference.

Driving is not about visual acuity, its about peripheral vision. Even someone with end stage macular disease has perfect peripheral vision, and can see other cars, a kid about to run in front of their car, etc. All that the telescopes are for is spotting street lights/street signs, that's it. I would far rather someone that sees 20/200 with full visual fields take the road than a hemianopic patient that sees 20/20.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    Research has shown that bioptic drivers who HAVE received training on the road are far safer drivers than 'normally' sighted drivers. Those who have not received training, are much less safe drivers than 'normally' sighted drivers. So training does make a difference.

Driving is not about visual acuity, its about peripheral vision. Even someone with end stage macular disease has perfect peripheral vision, and can see other cars, a kid about to run in front of their car, etc. All that the telescopes are for is spotting street lights/street signs, that's it. I would far rather someone that sees 20/200 with full visual fields take the road than a hemianopic patient that sees 20/20.
    You are correct, many people with macular degeneration still has intact peripheral vision and thus is able to function pretty well. The bioptic lens all it does is is to give a spotting vision that enables one to pass the 20/40 minimum that DMV requires and also have a good spotting vision to enable one to read the street signs and other road signs. Spotting vision by definition is using magnified vision to spot for a short time period. It is not meant to be relied upon, for obvious reason, one being the restricted peripheral vision.

Folks who are blind due to glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy would not be good candidates for the bioptic lens of course.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We fear what we don't understand.

Occupation
    Although not directly related to driving with telescopic aids, the FAA has in the past few years, adopted "demonstrable ability" principal in the issuance of some pilot certificates. This principal allows the candidate to show the examiner that he can exercise the duties of an airman at the appropriate level of performance. After quite a few years of using this criterion for certifying airmen there has been no indication that it poses any safety hazard.

I know a fellow pilot who has monocular vision (enucleation) and another who is paralyzed from the waist down.

Of course, this method of certifying drivers would place some burden on the motor vehicle department. Its far easier just to legislate and enforce than it is to make decisions based upon individual performance.

Thread Information