Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opticianry education and license

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it." George Bernard Shaw

What should be the core area of opticianry which 1) everybody can agree to and 2) opticans should pursue?
    Accordingly, what should be the ideal education as a passage of being optican?
    Is it possible for opticians to keep and develop our own core practicing area without proper education and license support?

Finally, as really really important issue of opticianry, how opticians can contribute our skills and abilities to world optical societies and people in need of vision help? For this, what have opticians been doing a kind of missionary works for them? Are there on-going projects or organizations?

With myself introspection....

Look for God's "road signs": A new commandment I gave to you... as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34

:)
    Last edited by eoptics; 01-18-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eoptics View Post
    With myself introspection....

:)
    Please research the following words: ordered, coherent, lucid, logical, pithy, sententious, and intelligible. Thanks

Roy

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Roy.
    I'm an optician from Illinois and have always enjoyed your continuing education programs. We are trying to get more members to join our state program so we can continue to better ourselves as a group and move toward these advanced programs.
    It's still my belief that todays optician needs to understand the lab tech position, dispensing, frame fitting, frame buying, managing supplies, proper lens selection, digital/free form technology, lens coatings, treatments, in order to provide great service to our patients. We also need to respect the rules of management and the doctors.
    This field is in deep need of structure. If there isn't desire to advance and change with technology, the position will force the pretenders out. I agree completely that we should all continue to work towards advancement.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a quick question. is there a list of universities that offer degrees in opticianry?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This website will help you with locating schools in the US: http://www.nfos.org/

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Don't be sorry the truth is the truth. I have seen that very thing. Most of what are called opticians today I don't think know the difference between a PD stick and a seg gauge.
    This thread is old as heck, but what's a seg gauge? Opticians today. I swear.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by schlemms View Post
    I have a quick question. is there a list of universities that offer degrees in opticianry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician1960 View Post
    This website will help you with locating schools in the US: http://www.nfos.org/
    Also: http://www.coaccreditation.com/
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion we need to start small. Unify the opticians in each state, some states already have a strong optician society others do not (such as WI) these societies need to put together a plan and work with the state governments to require license for opticians. For the states that alreAdy require licenses and have strong optician societies help your neighbors to develop the field. Once the majority of states require a license a standard come.

Thread Information