Thread: Translating Soft bifocals

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Translating Soft bifocals

Anyone have any experience positive or negative with any of the newer translating soft bifocals?
    Please share experience and list those that you know are out there. I haven't tried any since B&L had one (which almost never worked).

Anyone know of any Toric soft Toric bifocals and care to relate your experiences with same?

Thanks,

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My father has been doing rather well with them. I do not remember what product he uses and it has been two years since I worked there. But the adaption and vision is far better than it was 5-10 years ago.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anyone have any experience positive or negative with any of the newer translating soft bifocals?
    Please share experience and list those that you know are out there. I haven't tried any since B&L had one (which almost never worked).

Anyone know of any Toric soft Toric bifocals and care to relate your experiences with same?

Thanks,

Chip
    What is a "translating" soft bifocal? I've never heard that terminology ever before.

As for soft toric multifocals, there is only one, the Cooper Proclear Toric Multifocal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In translating lenses, the near, far, and sometimes intermediate prescription zones are distinct, and your pupil moves from one to the other, depending on the visual need of the moment. The near prescription is usually placed at the bottom of the lens, with the distance prescription at the top -- similar to bifocal eyeglasses. But this can be reversed, if your work or hobby requires a near prescription at the top instead of the bottom.
    Contact lenses sometimes rotate a little when you blink, which may shift the near vision area to the wrong place. To solve this problem, translating bifocal contact lens designs may be weighted (or "ballasted") at the bottom, to keep them right-side-up. The lenses may also be flattened (or "truncated") at the bottom, so the lower lid will support and shift the lens upward when the pupil needs to access the near vision zone.
    Translating designs provide good vision and work well whether you need a weak or a strong near prescription. If your upper eyelids have begun to droop (this is caused by a weakening of the muscle and occurs as we age), they may interact with translating lenses too much, and a different design may work better. Translating lenses must be able to move freely on the eye in order to re-center after a blink; if your eyes are habitually dry, this could interfere with movement and create blurriness. Translating lenses can accommodate large pupils, though not as easily as smaller pupils.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Obxeye:

Got it right, you might compare this to a lined vs. progressive bifocal. Although progressives are "translating". In any event aspheric bifocals are not translating. And many of contact with small simultainous zones are not translating despite having distinct "zones".

Chip

Posted without any slams on what should have been taught in O.D. schools.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chip, I'm certainly not aware of any translating SCL MF on the market, let alone new ones.

As to MFTs, yes, Cooper makes Proclear MFT. Also consider Unilens' C-Vue MFT. I've had more success with Unilens' design.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Westcon has a toric MF they can do as well.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posted without any slams on what should have been taught in O.D. schools.

Name some SOFT translating bifocals please...that's the issue here...

No need for definitions on what a "translating" contact lens is.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If inquiring about Proclear Toric Multifocal...

Tick marks (originally dots) at 3 and 9. Originally very difficult to see under slit lamp. Rep said they have changed it to make it easier to visualize.

Trial lenses took along time to be received. Had many patients who became impatient with waiting for trial lenses to arrive...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only one I have located so far is the Gelflex Triton soft bifocal. Which can also according to claims, correct cylinder.
    Appearently has been featured in Contact Lens Spectrum, Retinal Business, and Ophthalmology Management.

Chip

Sorry, I haven't tried it and don't know any more about it other than what I have stated here.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Soft translating bifocals

TRITON MAKES ONE,polyhema (38.6 percent), methafilcon A (55 percent) and hioxifilcon A (59 percent) materials. GELFLEX MANUFACTURES IT. I STUDIED THESE IN COLLEGE , A SMALL CHAPTER ON THEM AND OTHER MULTIFOCAL CONTACTS.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I received a call from Unilens yesterday offering us a promotion on their new toric MF lens.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is Unilens product Single vial

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I received a call from Unilens yesterday offering us a promotion on their new toric MF lens.
    Is this a planned replace product or a single vial?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe single vial, I didn't get the full details as I was trying to assist other people at the time.

Thread Information