Dear All,
I was very interested in finding out what the feelings were in the US Optical Market about general threats to the Independents from the chains and internet? The reason I ask is because here in UK/Ireland, laws have been de-regulated thus giving the chains more reason to expand and threaten the livelyhoods of long established practitioners. One such deregulation was with the contact lens sector and over a period of 2/3 years a major chain here now accounts for nearly 38% of contact lens sales alone. I keep on hearing the same sentiments regarding certain global brands like AcuVue and Focus and B&L and Cooper lenses which are bsing traded now on the internet at almost cost prices. So I formed an independents group or more like a cooperative where we could use our joint spending power to gain better deals. Sad to say this had virtually no effect with the major 4 suppliers. So now I have formed OCLC Group which uniquely manufactures all types of contact lenses and eyewear which is only sold via the independent sector. The portfolio of products is treated as a private label for the Independents Group thus making it illegal to be sold by a non member like an internet trader or a chain. We are soon launching 2 types of silicone hydragel lenses along with a daily dispossable similar to the AcuVue Moist. This will help protect the business providing our members fit our lenses as a preferred choice. The clinical trials have judged them to be equal if not better then the major 4's lenses.
The question I have here is if such a brand portfolio was available in the US with the unique guarantee that it was a true independent supply only, then would be welcomed by most practitioners? I have applied for the FDA which is due to be granted by the 3rd quarter of this year. They have visited our plant a few times now and things have gone smoothly.
Your replies will be most appreciated and help me also to decide on the best form of introduction to the US market. I don't want to be like Robin Hood but a simple commercial person who is willing to listen to potential customers and work side by side with them. I think its about time opticians voted with their dollars/pounds and then may be most supliers will heed to them. Their obvious choice is to deal with the chains because of the revenues they get in volumes, however it is the independent sector that successfully fit patients and then only to lose them back to the chains and internet sellers. So action should be taken now to stem the flow and reverse it if possible. I have 6 stores in the UK/Ireland and we have been affected too in the last 2 years and done everything possible to retain customers business but pricing has been the main issue. Margins have been eroded and the growth seems to be stagnant as the the patients we lost are balanced by new ones.
OCLC Group now also manufactures frames, cloths and distributes a few very high fashion brands exclusively to the private Independent sector. I would be very happy to talk with a few commercial people in the US inorder to jointly investigate any avenues of possible ventures there.
Please send me an e-mail or message in this forum and I will be happy to reply accordingly. My e-mail is Xavier@oclcgroup.com

regards

Hitman