Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Florida Licensed Opticians...think before doing!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Future Florida Licensed Opticians...think before doing!!

Just a heads up if you are thinking of going to a college to get your Florida Opticianry License or planning on getting a Florida Opticianry License. Remember, areas like Tampa, Ft. Myers, Miami, Davie; these schools are putting out 20+ graduates a year. The job opportunities are few due to the influx of new graduates in the field each year. The schools may tell you there is a shortage of Licensed Opticians in Florida. Not so!! Do your research. There is an over abundance of Licensed Opticians out there. With more graduates each year, this is a contributing factor that is reducing the hourly pay for our profession. People with many years of experience are looking for jobs. Be aware of what is happening in this field before commiting time and money just to find out how hard it is to find employment now. In areas further from the schools, there may be less licensed opticians, however, there may be fewer businesses in those areas. If your are willing to relocate, all the power and success to you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up

Was actually thinking of getting my FL license and moving down. Glad I read your post. I will stay put in NJ.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might want to check with the POF (www.pof.org) before you forego the sunshine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Have been to their site

Hello Judy,
    I have checked out their site and it is very informative. I have also heard the salaries in FL are quite a bit less than what they are in NJ. In todays job market maybe I will get my FL license if they allow me to while living in NJ and would only go down to FL with a good job offer. I actually lived in FL for almost 7 years.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know that around the FL Panhandle area, there is a slight shortage of Licensed Opticians. A friend of mine has been working 6 days a week for over 6 months now and is loving all the overtime pay. FL Licensed Opticians generally make anywhere from $22 to $35 an hour, depending on experience, need, etc. As always, check the want ads for the area you are wanting to work in and see if there are a lot of job postings. Money is the name of the game this day in time! For those interested in getting into this field, go where the money is, whether it's in Florida, New Jersey, or North Carolina!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Senorwes1...What world are you in?....not to be argumentative, however, very few opticians are making what you stated in the Tampa, Orlando and other areas. Yes, in the remote areas, I agree with you, however, that is not the norm. I and others may not be in the position just to pack up, sell the house, and just relocate at a moments notice. Be considerate for others who need jobs where they live. The fact is, there are an abundance of licensed opticians now....

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That bespeaks of protectionism!

Quote Originally Posted by iaam008 View Post
    Senorwes1...What world are you in?....not to be argumentative, however, very few opticians are making what you stated in the Tampa, Orlando and other areas. Yes, in the remote areas, I agree with you, however, that is not the norm. I and others may not be in the position just to pack up, sell the house, and just relocate at a moments notice. Be considerate for others who need jobs where they live. The fact is, there are an abundance of licensed opticians now....

The reason you go to a school is to become educated- it really has nothing to do with watering down the workforce. The adage "Cream always rises to the top" can be applied in this situation. The really competent opticians will continue to do well ...anywhere. To discourage anyone from seeking employment anywhere in order to protect existing jobs is a flawed tactic. It is morally wrong, and contrary to law. The marketplace will level the playing field.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 12-24-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: addition...
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Harry. That's much more tactful than the response I was contemplating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Florida Optician

I would like to thank you all for your input and opinions.
    I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2009.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    iaam008:
    Hey, sorry if I offended you but like I said, ALL of the FL Licensed Opticians that I know make between $22 and $35 an hour, most work for chains. I'm sorry that some of you in FL are not making that and I don't expect everybody to just up and move. My point was, for any NEW OPTICIANS just getting into this field, they should get licensed ASAP and go where the money is. If someone had told me ten years ago that I could go to opticianry school for two years and make $20 to $35 an hour, I would have jumped on it. Instead I went to college for 5 years, got a BA degree, worked as an Optician part time through college, and got into debt. Then I got out of school and figured out that I should've just gone to Opticianry School and it would've saved me A LOT of time and money. That's just my advise for those who want to take it.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

FL Optician

senorwes1...Your valued input is always welcome. Thank you.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i also live on the fla panhandle and most of the people i know make around $25 and there is a shortage here too. I do not have my license yet but am on my way. So we will see how things workout when i am done with my apprenticeship.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

FL Optician

mangledmaille....Thank you for the information. Sure do appreciate it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh My God!!!

Quote Originally Posted by migsopt View Post
    Was actually thinking of getting my FL license and moving down. Glad I read your post. I will stay put in NJ.

Someone who lives in Hackensack, Well I'll Be, I was born at Hackensack General Hospital, so where my siblings, we moved to Miami when I was two. Now I live in Texas, My Sisters still live in Miami and one of them has been out of owrk for 6 months in her feild, the job market down there is really tuff, she's finishing up her degree in law and moving out here by us where the job marlet is still pretty good in the DFW area.
    I have a step brother who lives in Wayne N.J. on Packenack lake, when we were small our parents rented a home just across from the lake, alog cabin style home. It's still there. Have you heard of Packinack lake?

Best regards, from a proud yankee in Texas, Ginny:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The need for Licensed optician definetely has diminushed in most areas in Florida. The schools are there because the need was there. but the economic downturn has put many things on hold. Business cannot expand in this enviroment. Businesses can only survive by making use of their resources with what they have and hiring at this point in many places is not an option. All licensed professions including Opticians are better off than the ones that do not require a license but still are affected. I am a manager and an Certified Ophthalmic Technician. ABO, NCLE and Licensed optician. My brother owns his optical store. I can only tell you that there are jobs but not in the same amount as they use to.

I would tell you that if you are a recent grad to continue in school or apply for a job that gives you some experience although it may not be as rewarding as what a licensed optician generally makes. Good luck

CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

FL Opticians

CNG...Very well said... I agree with you 110%. I am a Florida Licensed Optician and the jobs at this time are few and far between when and if the stores are hiring.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year. Continued success.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Someone who lives in Hackensack, Well I'll Be, I was born at Hackensack General Hospital, so where my siblings, we moved to Miami when I was two. Now I live in Texas, My Sisters still live in Miami and one of them has been out of owrk for 6 months in her feild, the job market down there is really tuff, she's finishing up her degree in law and moving out here by us where the job marlet is still pretty good in the DFW area.
    I have a step brother who lives in Wayne N.J. on Packenack lake, when we were small our parents rented a home just across from the lake, alog cabin style home. It's still there. Have you heard of Packinack lake?

Best regards, from a proud yankee in Texas, Ginny:)
    Hello Ginster,
    It's called Hackensack University Medical Center now and is a huge hospital now. They keep buying up the neighbors properties, knocking them down and adding on to the hospital.
    I actually have a good friend who lives in the DFW area, he keeps telling me it's great down there. I really should visit.
    I am very familiar with Wayne and that whole area also. It is a very nice area.
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    I know that around the FL Panhandle area, there is a slight shortage of Licensed Opticians. A friend of mine has been working 6 days a week for over 6 months now and is loving all the overtime pay. FL Licensed Opticians generally make anywhere from $22 to $35 an hour, depending on experience, need, etc. As always, check the want ads for the area you are wanting to work in and see if there are a lot of job postings. Money is the name of the game this day in time! For those interested in getting into this field, go where the money is, whether it's in Florida, New Jersey, or North Carolina!!
    This rate of pay is not realistic in South Florida.

Anything in the low twenties would be considered high in hourly rate.

also, Jobs for licenses are scarce in the southern part of the state these days.. I fortunately, am working but know of many licenses that can't find a thing down here.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NY to Fl

I've been licensed in NY for 18 years. I moved to the Sarasota area almost a year ago. I'm working unlicensed at this time in a large MD practice. It was easier to find work unlicensed than licensed. I'm actually making more money unlicensed than I was licensed in NY. I will continue to hold my NY license, I worked for it, I'm keeping it. When things start to shake loose here, I'll consider getting my license in Florida. If you consider moving to Florida, understand that the licensing process here is VERY different. Before you can sit for your exams, (even if previously licensed) you have to take the NCLE...now mind you, you can't fit CL after taking the exam, but you have to have the NCLE to qualify to take the practical.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Florida board certified optician can and many do fit contact lenses. It is a strange law very lenient and many grey areas. We only hire licensed opticians and I am in an ophthalmology practice as an administrator. Get your licensed...you will have more job mobility around the state. Without it you are just one more of the bunch.

CNG

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hcjilson got it right!

I went to Hillsborough in Tampa. I didn't go because they were promising high wages. In fact, wages were never mentioned.

What was promised was that I would not graduate from the program unless I could pass the fla state board. In fact, they said that once I graduated, I wouldn't really need to study for the test, as the knowledge would be so ingrained in me, that I would be able to recall it with no problem. They were right. They also promised that they would teach practical optical principles that I would be able to put to use in the field. Not a day goes by that I don't.

The day I graduated from school, I moved back to Ohio. I went back to Fla. to take the boards, where everyone in my class passed, (after a few heavy nights of partying;)). I returned to Fla a few times each year to keep my CEUs up, but after awhile let my license lapse. I never practiced one day in Fla, and I don't regret going to school there for one minute.

My class (1985?) started with 52 students, graduated 27, and I would venture to guess that about 9 of us stayed with it for more than 10 years. There are 5 of us that I know that are still plugging along. Sure they are graduating 20 at a time (a low number anyway, given the need), but you have to assume that the majority of them don't stay with it, and move on to something else.

I practice in Ohio, where the wages are said to be relatively low. I know opticians here that are making much more per hour than some of their Fla. counterparts, but I don't attribute it to the state, or the number of opticians, I attribute it to the opticians!

Don't give up on Florida! Give up on opticianry! Become a dog sled repairman...I hear there's a shortage of them down there!:hammer:
    Last edited by Johns; 06-16-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hcc

Hi Johns,

I didn't realize that you are one of our Alumni...how fabulous!

Thanks for your perspective (and thanks to Harry J. too!)

You were among the fortunate to have Dr. Ross as your professor. He was an amazing educator and a great person.

You MUST come in and be a speaker for our students next time you are in the Tampa area. I have no doubt you would inspire our students and it would be a great experience for them.

: )

Laurie

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    You MUST come in and be a speaker for our students next time you are in the Tampa area. I have no doubt you would inspire our students and it would be a great experience for them.

Laurie
    I'd love to! It would be a great experience for me as well. Just give me a date.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Johns Visit to HCC

Hi Johns,

Lets make this happen!

Any Mon - Thur, from now until May 1.

You and your wife can stay at my house!

Laurie

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hi Johns,

Lets make this happen!

Any Mon - Thur, from now until May 1.

You and your wife can stay at my house!

Laurie
    When do you break for Spring? April works good for us. We've got relatives in Ocala, so we've got the lodging covered.

Thread Information