Thread: Past Employee of Lux?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Past Employee of Lux?

I can't post the link here, but someone else will be able to.

It seems that the big Lux computer down in appalachia (Mason, Oh) was accessed by hackers and personal information on previous emplyees (as far back as "Things Remembered" was compromised.

Keep an eye on your charge accounts and ss #.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shees ... Thanks for the info ....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Article on hack of computer

MASON – A computer hacking case that put the personal information of nearly 60,000 Luxottica employees at risk has been turned over to the FBI, Warren County authorities said.
    Luxottica Group is the world’s biggest eyewear company. Its best known brands include Ray-Ban and Oakley. Luxottica employs more than 1,400 at its LensCrafters Inc. eyeglass retail division in Mason. Its building in Mason was expanded in 2006.
    Lt. Jeff Braley, who heads Warren County’s Cyber Crimes Task Force, said officials at the eyewear retailer contacted police in September after finding that someone had hacked into a company computer server and taken information that contained Social Security numbers and addresses of employees of Things Remembered, a subsidiary of Luxottica.
    Braley said he did not know if any local employees of Things Remembered were affected. It also was not yet clear if anyone has used the hacked information to steal identities or make illegal purchases.
    “It was only one file. It wasn’t like their whole mainframe was under attack,” Braley said.

The identity theft incident was traced to a computer in Glendale, Ariz., he said.

Braley contacted the FBI this week after discovering the Arizona connection and determining that the Luxottica computer server involved was located in Atlanta.

“Nothing in Warren County was accessed,” Braley said; explaining why the case was turned over to the federal agency.

FBI spokesman Mike Brooks confirmed the federal agency received information about the case, but would not comment on whether the FBI had opened its own investigation.

One other note found in another article in The Pulse Journal: "Luxottica officials said they notified all the effected employees when they learned of the proble."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I doubt there are any of us that aren't on multiple lists of security breaches.

The VA lost the info on all veterans a year back.

TJ Max lost all info on credit card transactions a few years back.

Stop and Shop had parasitic wireless transmitters in some credit card terminals.

That's only the stuff that made the headlines.

Next target will be small doctors offices, those home office computers with all the patient info are logged into the internet and I doubt have sophisticated firewalls. VSP info is the social, so an optical computer can be an informational goldmine.

Oh yeah, I'm a veteran, have used a credit card at TJ Max, been to Stop and Shop, and worked at a Lux company. I get a yearly credit report, should do it more often, and should probably be more concerned, but I have my mortgage and credit cards with good history, don't need more credit.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Twice in the last two years my bank has had to replace my debit card. This is not due to my errors but to the fact that their security had been breached. And this is a large national chain. Yikes.

Thread Information