5 18.52%
  • Bread Pudding

1 3.70%
  • Filling

0 0%
  • Stuffing

21 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats that "stuff" called we put in our Turkeys?

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Whats that "stuff" called we put in our Turkeys?

Sorry for yet another poll guys, but I am curious what word everyone uses. This Thanksgiving will be the 1st one my wife and I have had where it will be just us sitting at the table. I will be cooking my first Turkey. (Any Advice out there?) Anyway, I want to be sure to call that stuff inside the turkey by its proper name. It is, afterall, the BEST part of the meal!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Uh, 'stuffing'? :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    U missed off "paxo"

Ah the lovly tast of sage "n" onion, bliss roll on christmas and our feast...............

Occupation
    I always called it stuffing. When I married, my husband referred to it as dressing. Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm from New York and he's from S. Carolina. Furthermore, we were used to some very different approaches to it. I always used french bread croutons as the base, he ate cornbread dressing. I put giblets boiled and chopped fine into the stuffing, he was used to giblets going in the gravy. I had to develop a recipe that was both croutons and cornbread as a compromise. My secret to very moist stuffing is chopped macintosh or granny smith apples.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Um Night Train???

It's called s a l t and p e p p e r :)

Darris C.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    To be sure, we call it Stuffin' here or Stuffing if you want to be posh

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Night Train (go Colts, beat Miami),

I answered "stuffing" (that's just what it IS). However, I've noticed most people here in the "South" call it "dressing," and some country folk up North call it "filling."

Some people don't even HAVE turkey for Thanksgiving, however! I've heard of (and even witnessed) people having ham for Thanksgiving (even though everyone knows you have turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas!). Any OptiBoarders out there planning to eat an oinker instead of a gobbler for T-day this year???

Pete "and pass the mashed potatoes, please!" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Originally posted by Darris Chambless
    Um Night Train???

It's called s a l t and p e p p e r :)

Darris C.
    So Darris do you season the bird with stuffing then...........

Always knew there as something odd bout Darris. :hammer:

Occupation
    Originally posted by John R
    U missed off "paxo"

Ah the lovly tast of sage "n" onion, bliss roll on christmas and our feast...............
    Isnt paxo a name brand?

I know I have heard that somewhere before

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

Uh it is called stuffing...end of story. It is what you do it is what it is called.

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, you have met the authority on this. If it's cooked in the bird, it's called stuffing, if it's cooked outside of the bird, it's called dressing.

Anybody really interested in recipes? Let's share.

As far as cooking a turkey, it's simple, buy a good bird, I prefer "Butterball". For appearances, a whole bird is great, but if it's just the two of you, you may prefer just a turkey breast. Unless, you like the dark meat, of course.

Don't over stuff the bird, if you do it. If you don't want to really stuff the bird, I've found that putting a couple of granny smith apples inside the cavity gives it a really nice moist flavor. If you buy "butterball", you don't need to really wash it too much, because you'll wash out the butter that has been injected into it. Rince out the insides and rub salt and pepper inside and out. I like to place my turkey in a covered dark oval high lid roasting pan (it helps to self baste and gives a great color to the bird) with metal racks to hold it up off the bottom of the pan. Every one gives a time per pound, but really each bird is different and each oven is different, so you really have to watch it. If it has a pop up timer, that's a good starting point, but not a final authority. Tuck the wings under each other so they don't burn, but do NOT truss the legs, or they won't fully cook in that area.

I've usually cooked huge turkeys, so let me guess on a smaller bird, (although you'll find that the larger ones taste better). Say a 10 - 12 pound bird will take about 2 2/12 hours at 350 degrees. Just watch after about 1 1/2 hour and start basting it then every 20 30 minutes. If you don't have a dark oval high lid roasting pan, you may want to leave the lid off for the last 20 30 minutes to allow the bird to brown nicely.

My other suggestion is to go ahead and buy a large turkey, and reserve a little leftover for sandwiches and then toss the rest in the freezer, after you've deboned it, of course. Then when the other holiday parties start and everyone needs to take something, get the turkey out, and chop it up well, and toss with a really good barbecue sauce and simmer for about an hour. Make little sandwiches (buns) and there are never any left over.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

:cheers:

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Originally posted by ioconnell

Isnt paxo a name brand?

I know I have heard that somewhere before
    Yep sure is...:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's called stuffing in my family, too. I have no interest in actual cooking, but I do buy a lot of sandwiches ;), and the ones in Marks and Spencer are called 'Turkey and Stuffing', so it is a proper word.

Occupation
    Originally posted by Maria
    but I do buy a lot of sandwiches ;), and the ones in Marks and Spencer are called 'Turkey and Stuffing', so it is a proper word.
    You must be getting paid to much if you are eating their butties...
    whats wrong with a nice greassy bacon and egg..

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Hey maybe we could add another topic heading...cooking and recipes. Or Diane's kitchen!! LOL!! Good tips too Diane! I always cook a big turkey. I always cut slits in the bird and put butter in them and when I go to baste I make sure I use the slits to baste also. I have found that it makes them very juicy. I agree the pop up timer is a good start but does not indicate that the turkey is in fact done. I love to cook I should have went to cullinary school instead...Maybe we can contact food network and get our own show. We could call it cooking with opticians... hmmm doesn't sound too appealling does it?? Any other names???

Steph

Occupation
    [i]
    You must be getting paid to much if you are eating their butties...
    [/B]

I take it that "butties" are different there as opposed to the "butties" we have here? Remember Petes poll about what men like in women? Well...I go for butties.

Occupation

Confused

Originally posted by Night Train

I take it that "butties" are different there as opposed to the "butties" we have here?.
    Well butties refefers to what i guess you call a sandwich, I just dont understend what you mean..

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now John John ;)

"So Darris do you season the bird with stuffing then..........." Actually I season my bird by soaking it in a brine made from salt, pepper, orange juice and garlic powder. This keeps the bird from drying out and gives the whole thing a great flavor. I NEVER, let me repeat NEVER stuff a Turkey. It has a pretty good flavor BUT it looks nasty when you take it out of the bird unless you "final" cook it out of the bird which makes for too much work, not to mention it adds to the cooking time. I'm into easy cooking so that I have time to drink a beer and visit with the fam :)

Don't get me wrong I like dressing and will eat lots of it but it should be a side dish only and not crammed inside the bird itself for cooking. You have to be carefull about how you salt a trukey though or it will end up with tough skin and meat not to mention it will be dry and that's just plain nasty :) Anyway that's my take on the turkey thing.

As to Pete's question we usually only have a turkey on Thanksgiving because of tradition (basically to stare at while we eat other things), but we eat brisket most of the time. For Christmas my mom makes Italian. I honestly can't remember the last time we had traditional foods during the holiday season. I make Turkey for weekend neighborhood get togethers but I don't reserve it for holidays only. Last weekend the neighborhood dinner was T-Bone steaks, salad, potato salad, fresh greenbeans and fried chicken for the kids. We have fun on my street :)

Take care everyone,

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Until last Thanksgiving, we have always had a smoked capon. It's small, so not too many leftovers and it's almost all white meat. Our other mainstays are peanut soup and Smithfield ham.

Occupation
    Originally posted by John R

Well butties refefers to what i guess you call a sandwich, I just dont understend what you mean..

Over here...

Butties refer to a man who is rather plump and short in stature, it often replaces the mans forename eg. if your name was say Conor Brennan and had these atributes you would most likely be called Buttie Brennan.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In the words of sgt Schultz....

In the words of sgt Schultz.....concerning the buttie thing....I SAY NOTHING!!!!!!
    However since the subject of stuffing is so popular, I thought I would share a recipe gotten from my favorite talk show host Steve LeVeille
    check it out!I've made this as a main dish rather than stuffing...its quite good.Check out the rest of his website for some interesting links.

http://www.geocities.com/~radiosteve/recipe.html

A somewhat on the portly side of svelt and not too tall......harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Originally posted by Darris Chambless
    Now John John ;)

Don't get me wrong I like dressing (read STUFFING) and will eat lots of it but it should be a side dish only and not crammed inside the bird itself for cooking.
    A man after my heart i too prefer the stuffing to be seperate, just luv the crisppy top..... :D
    Must be nice living in an area where you share stuff like that with the neighbours, never happen round here.. At most you are lucky if they say morning to you..........

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I agree with John R - keep the STUFFING out of the bird...and SAVOUR the crispy top ! yep, it's all about the "crispy top" ....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,

We use to spend our Thanksgivings in Williamsburg....don't ask me why, we just did.........

When I was given my first bowl of peanut soup I thought...great..warm runny peanut butter....boy was I wrong, great stuff.......

Up in Maryland we use to have stuffed ham with our turkey and pumpkin soup.......

Bad address email on file LVopticgal's Avatar

Wave

GREAT GOBBLE TIPS!
    My only concern is that no one go CRAZY
    with the slits in the bird. My dear old mom tried
    this one year. Upon checking the turkey at one point
    during the day discovered that her slits.... well they were
    FATAL! The bird was in such disarray that she tried perform
    reconstructive surgery with toothpicks and some cooking
    string!!!! We were spitting out splinters all night.
    So slits are great but use some restraint people. Find
    another outlet for your holiday angst. The birds have suffered
    enough. ;)

LVopticgal

Thread Information