Thread: Kodak Unique vs. Shamir Auotgraph II in real world!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Kodak Unique vs. Shamir Auotgraph II in real world!

I have been using free form lenses for many years with great success and wanted to see if a patient could tell the difference between a Unique in trivex and an Autograph II in trivex transitions. History has taught us that people see better out of free form and it is enhanced by using trivex.
    The patient is a +3.00 -.75 with a 2.50 add; she is a previously happy patient wearing an original Pentax Perfas in 1.67 from a few years ago.

Upon dispensing she was asked a number of questions about her visual experience wearing either lens; she loved them both and could not really tell the difference. Both products gave her crisp distance with the ability to read the 20/20 on the Zeiss reading card. We spent a good 10 minutes trying to find any apsects of either product that were an advantage or noticeable to the wearer.

She thought both products gave her the best vision she has ever had and either progressive design gave her a similiar feel and she could not tell the difference in any area.

I had done the same thing years ago with the Pentax Perfas and a Zeiss Individual; the patient response was the same, either pair gave him the best vision he has ever had and he could not pick one design over another.

If a quality product is fit properly, the patient satisfaction should be similiar with like technology.

I support the best technology that is delivered in a timely manner at a fair price; that is the best lens in the market. It also has to be available in the materials, size and curve needed.

No wonder it has taken so long for free form to catch on in the US.

Craig

I need the large font as I need my first progressive and have been too lazy to get an eye exam.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    this is part of a general product. For instance, I tried a new free-form single vision lens. So I put the lenses on and tried to look for improvements. I think I may have better peripheral, but when it comes down to it, I notice nothing. If the change is not noticeable, then customers will not see value in it.

Interesting enough, I did notice one thing about this lens. It was the first coating I have had in a while without Alize or Avance. It was a competitor to Essilor, who had an easy to clean coating. What I noticed is that these lenses were harder to clean and got dirty a lot faster. Makes me wonder what other customers are thinking of out there with similar switches.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What Craig did sounds a lot like Ryser's theory in practice.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where is source? I don't see Kodak Uniquie or Shamir Auotgraph II. Not good sales our country.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unique vs. Shamir Autograph variable

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I have been using free form lenses for many years with great success and wanted to see if a patient could tell the difference between a Unique in trivex and an Autograph II in trivex transitions. History has taught us that people see better out of free form and it is enhanced by using trivex.
    The patient is a +3.00 -.75 with a 2.50 add; she is a previously happy patient wearing an original Pentax Perfas in 1.67 from a few years ago.

Upon dispensing she was asked a number of questions about her visual experience wearing either lens; she loved them both and could not really tell the difference. Both products gave her crisp distance with the ability to read the 20/20 on the Zeiss reading card. We spent a good 10 minutes trying to find any apsects of either product that were an advantage or noticeable to the wearer.

She thought both products gave her the best vision she has ever had and either progressive design gave her a similiar feel and she could not tell the difference in any area.

I had done the same thing years ago with the Pentax Perfas and a Zeiss Individual; the patient response was the same, either pair gave him the best vision he has ever had and he could not pick one design over another.

If a quality product is fit properly, the patient satisfaction should be similiar with like technology.

I support the best technology that is delivered in a timely manner at a fair price; that is the best lens in the market. It also has to be available in the materials, size and curve needed.

No wonder it has taken so long for free form to catch on in the US.

Craig

I need the large font as I need my first progressive and have been too lazy to get an eye exam.
    Tried and sold both Unique and Shamir Autograph II Variable and in my humble opinion the Autograph II Variable blows Unique away. Great results and feedback from the Shamir product. Better designs imho. Better than Seiko designs as well for that matter imho.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I need the large font as I need my first progressive and have been too lazy to get an eye exam.[/QUOTE]

Craig,

Shame on you! :D

This is your golden opportunity to see for yourself what different lenses do. Get a frame you like, order several progressives from your favorites, like Unique, Auto II, and try you old favorite from before Freeform and then the cheapest progressive you can find and wear them all. It has been a real shock to me to see the difference! Helps me explain it better to my patients too.

Have fun and see better too!

john

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Both are good for distance

In my experience, both designs are good for distance .If you want the best for intermediate and near , the better lenses are the GT2 or the Autograph 2. Period.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm in the beginning stages of *dating* a new-technology lens (progressives too!), I *only* choose my most discriminating clients (who, coincidentally, are also then ones generally willing to pay the price for these products) to trial and evaluate.

For instance, the first Full, Hoya ID I did was for a nearby ophthalmologist, who is passionate about his practice, optics and everything else in his life.
    He called me up to duplicate his last pair of progressives as an extra pair (he was wearing Definity, and I the made him Accolade freedom w/ +1.50 add).

When I delivered the IDs (duplicate Rx, BTW), I told him I'm trying a different lens - nothing else! I asked him not to comment on the lenses at delivery, but to wear them for a week or two and then let me know.

About 10 days later he called and said he was ready to comply with my instructions:

"I've got good news and bad news", he said.
    "Go!" I responded.
    "The good new is, *these are the best damn lenses I have ever had!", he exclaimed.
    "The bad news is I want them in a pair of sunglasses!"

Everyone one of you should have this problem. He tells clients that he's wearing a truly advanced and wonderful pair of progressives, and that the lenses are *very* expensive. When referring select clients, he says "Here's a number of optician business cards for you. If you are discriminating, seek the best, and are willing to entertain a price level you may have not considered before, then Barry is your *master optician*".

Works for me. And although all those who come in about Hoya ID don't walk out with one ('cause of $$$), they *do* always get some sort of *personalized* lens.

They all love it! BTW, I also did this with another MD who *never* could wear progressives, especially for golf (his passion!). I made him a pair of Maui Jim Passport wrap suns, and he loves them, and tells others as well.

I guess it depends on where you plant your seeds...

FWIW

Barry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Autograph 2 FTW!!!!
    Nate

My Night A/R Guy wears Dididium Lenses

Thread Information