Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on "Custom Frames"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question on "Custom Frames"

If Jerry Huang, Or Chip Anderson, or Harry Chilliquarian were to make a custom frame from scratch? Would they have go get FDA approval to sell it?
    If they took a "stock frame" and modified it would it now be a "custom frame?" How much modification would be allowed before it became subject to FDA approval?
    And yes I am talking about a dress frame, not a safety frame.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I make them and modify others and just never considered this. hmmm... I wouldn't think one-of-a-kind or maybe even short runs would be covered. How about those I modify for facial abnormalities??

OMG !!, maybe I'm breaking the law !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Anyone manufacturing or importing eyewear is supposed to register with the FDA. A retailer customizing eyewear that they purchased from a registered company would not need to register.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's the difference? By modifying the frame, you're effectively changing it, so it's not the same as what's registered... I never thought about this myself, but it's an interesting question.

Bad address email on file Christosfer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do you make them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I make them and modify others and just never considered this. hmmm... I wouldn't think one-of-a-kind or maybe even short runs would be covered. How about those I modify for facial abnormalities??

OMG !!, maybe I'm breaking the law !!

How do you make your own frames? Are you talking about putting together spare parts from the Misc. bin, or are you talking about from scratch?
    If you make them from scratch I would really appreciate some information on how I could get started. I have wanted to make some wooden frames for years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christosfer View Post
    I have wanted to make some wooden frames for years.

Check these out for some inspiration!

http://www.urbanspectacles.com/

Occupation
    There is another OB poster that uses wood for frames. I can't remember the name, but I will find it.

Here is a company that makes pantograph machines to make zyl frames, but they should work on wood with the right cutters. http://www.cielle.it/index.php?op=130 There is also a small company in Colorado that makes similar units used to cut pistol grips. Really any engineering student could design and make something similar and maybe even better for this use,

Check Ebay for wood, the hobby section has many "boards" for sale. Rivets and hinges may be a problem, try Hilco and other optical suppliers.

Why not use small etched or engraved metal inlays on the temples and rivet area of the front. Maybe even some set stones on the women's frames.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 11-27-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added, Multiplied and Changed Drastically

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is another OB poster that uses wood for frames. I can't remember the name, but I will find it.

Here is a company that makes pantograph machines to make zyl frames, but they should work on wood with the right cutters. http://www.cielle.it/index.php?op=130 There is also a small company in Colorado that makes similar units used to cut pistol grips. Really any engineering student could design and make something similar and maybe even better for this use,

Check Ebay for wood, the hobby section has many "boards" for sale. Rivets and hinges may be a problem, try Hilco and other optical suppliers.

Why not use small etched or engraved metal inlays on the temples and rivet area of the front. Maybe even some set stones on the women's frames.
    If your looking for wood for frames: http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1435 They have some nice hard to find hardwoods for projects just like this.

The hinges are a pain in the neck to get, no one carries them and if they do they carry one part and not the other. I have been trolling ebay looking at pictures for frames that I can salvage rivet hinges from but I find it's hit or miss and it's hard to control your costs when your purchaseing frames to salvage parts from, especially when the particular frame you purchase doesn't work out when you get it. Hilco sells the rivet, B and K sells the hinges, but the catch is that they are on BO forever so you need to keep a buttload in stock if your gonna do this. Obexeyeguy and DragonLensmanWV sent me a boat load of hinges recently which was awesome. I tried a shot at making my own hinges from silver, but it didn't work very well. The company tat I used to order acetate sheets from no longer sells acetate sheets they sell toy models so that's bust. Too few opticians doing any real manufactureing to make any sense for companies to keep these supplie in house. I looked into purchaseing products direct from China but I can't justify the cost and I don't do anywhere near enough to make it worth while. I am looking for some old retired guy in the neighborhood that I can get to maybe machien me some rivet hinges for a couple bucks a pop. Heck I would be willign to pay a steep prie for hignes just so that I can have a reliable source readily available.

OK, now another neat method for frame makign that I have explored and enjoyed. "PMC" Precious Metal Clay, you work it just like clay into shapes that you want such as eyewires, bridges, or in my case bridge, and temple fronts. Then you fire it just like pottery or if the piece is small enough you can use a torch to fire it, the result .999 Silver or 22Kt Gold frames, the raw material is expensive but the posibilities are endless. I made a bridge and temple fronts in their basic shape then used varying files to work them to size and shape then drilled them and used scews to mount lenses with them, then sodler on hignes and add a temple and your done. It's not a bd material and it was enjoyable to do. I'll have to post pictures I have them on a camera here somewhere.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Hand Made Frames................

Here is a full description of how to do it:

See double posted post below
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-27-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doan nobody said dem hinges be done gotta come from optical source. Be done ta checkin' into hardware, cabinet supply, on line hinge mfg, stuff for small chests and boxes. Be done ta bettcha dare mo' stuff out there than you can carry out the doe.

Some folks is so helpless an unimmaginative.

Chip

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here is a full description of how to do it:[Q

The basic drawing, and a photo of a finished acetate frame.

Hand-making Acetate Spectacle Frames

Copyright © Brian Adam 1997

Introduction

I describe here some broad practical steps in making an acetate spectacle frame by hand. For a brief comparison let's consider the way acetate frames are often made. In the spectacle industry the typical factory set-up involves dozens of pre-set routing and heat-forming/embedding machines to produce each frame design. Designs must be guarranteed of commercila success to pay for this huge set-up cost, and must fit into the parameters of the machinery. Making by hand has all the attributes and advantages that a factory cannot afford: greatest flexibility of design, quickest speed of reaction to customer/market requirements, and total uniqueness. The downside is that handmade frames take time to make, the runs are small, and the maker must be skilful. Sound familiar? Let's press on undaunted anyway; the rewards are fulfilling.

I'm assuming prior knowledge of where and how the frame is to basically sit on the head to allow the frame-held lenses to be propped in front of the eyes in a relatively comfortable manner. Frames can have nose-pads, temple-tips, hinges. Or they can have none of those. As a designer you might like to question and redesign these. But ultimately if a frame is to be worn for a time comfort will be a major design factor. If any of you are spectacle wearers, you'll understand about daily comfort.
    But then again you may be making a frame for short-term use, and will be satisfied with minimal features for fitting the frame.

Another assumption I'm making here is about suppliers of acetate sheet and hinges and other useful spectacle parts. I may in the future be called upon to write a Suppliers listing. My own suppliers are necessarily local, so it may well be that if some of you were to contribute to a pool of spectacle/optical suppliers information I could collate a full listing that would be useful world-wide.

Acetate for spectacles.........................

Read the whole article at:

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/acetate.htm
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-27-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The hinges are a pain in the neck to get..............

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The hinges are a pain in the neck to get, no one carries them and if they do they carry one part and not the other.

acetate sheet manufactorydescription of eyewear material acetate sheet: In recent years, acetate sheet has been one fashion trend for being a main material for eyeglass due to it's changable color and various designs. we supply various ...

eyeglass bridges, spring hinges supplierDescription of spectacle parts -nose bridges: nose bridge, eyewear bridge, spectacle bridge, bridge of glasses, eyeglass bridge, be welded or fixed between two fronts rims to fix the lens holder position. Its materia...

eyeglass rimlocks, hinges manufacturerdescription of specatcle parts -rimlocks: Rimlocks, Eyeglass Parts , eyeglass accessories, spectacle parts, eyewear parts, spectacle optical raw material, specatcle spare parts Rimlocks is used on the metal frame,...

eyeglass nose pads, pad arms, screws wholesalerdescription of eyewear parts - nose pads, silicone nose pads; eyeglass nose pads, nose pads, silicone nose pads, pvc nose pad, nose pad. Material: pvc, silicone, pc, pu, rubber, Size:5mm-15mm lengh as you like. .

acetate temples wholesalerdescription of eyewear parts acetate temples: To wear eyeglass with acetate temples has been one fashion between teenagers, students and ladies etc other fashion lovers. due to his various fancy designs and colors,...

All of it at :

http://www.tradekey.com/product_list...arts-coltd.htm

:cheers:

Occupation
    This place has even more tools and supplies to make frames, jewelry, and anti-aircraft weapons !! Tools and goodies every optician should have and can't find. They even have custom jewelers benches like we used when mounting and reairing frames.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php

I think I'm in heaven :D :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This place has even more tools and supplies to make frames, jewelry, and anti-aircraft weapons !! Tools and goodies every optician should have and can't find. They even have custom jewelers benches like we used when mounting and reairing frames.

I buy quite a few things through Otto! Most of my firearm lubricants I purchase there! I just got 5 cans of the best lube ever from them!

This is one of my favorite firearm, general purpose, and heavy duty lubes:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I buy quite a few things through Otto! Most of my firearm lubricants, I purchase there! I just got 5 cans of the best lube ever from them!

This is one of my favorite firearm, general purpose, and heavy duty lubes:

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...0&cat=0&page=1

Good reference Jacqui!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::che ers:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Check these out for some inspiration!

http://www.urbanspectacles.com/

Here is a pair of beergoggles that were made for a man's 40th birthday party. Supposedly they had plans to play pineapple bowling while wearing the beergoggles.

How old are you Fezz???
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    How old are you Fezz??
    I am as old as the wind, as young as the dawn and as vibrant as the body allows me!!!!!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another tool site

http://www.amlap.com/
    This one is American Lapidary. Not quite as proud of thier stuff as Jacqui's site but has a lot of good stuff for custom frames. Particularly some of thier polishers and laps that have many different grades of buffers on each side of the machine with a mist feed to keep everything cool.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here's another that will make those that want to make wooden frames green

As soon as I can work one in the budget, I'm gittin one! Or a similar machine.
    http://www.carvewright.com/cms/video#

Occupation
    I buy most of my faceting laps from Amlap, good people. Lots of tools and supplies that are hard to find in the optical industry, especially soldering supplies.

I also like the idea of the Carvewrite, could be good for making frames and some decoration. Could this also be used for zyl frames?? I wonder if it is 3D enough to use to put decorative carving on a gunstock?? That could be a good retirement income.

This is the system that I use to decorate lenses http://www.scmsysteminc.com/index.php I have lowered the air pressure considerably and use stencils made with their software. Seems to do "Billy Brock" style work and isn't too hard to use.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Doan nobody said dem hinges be done gotta come from optical source. Be done ta checkin' into hardware, cabinet supply, on line hinge mfg, stuff for small chests and boxes. Be done ta bettcha dare mo' stuff out there than you can carry out the doe.

Some folks is so helpless an unimmaginative.

Chip
    Tried that chip, I went to my local grangers and nothing small enough, went to a toy model shop and hinges don't haev screws or they're just too shody to use in eyewear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui: I saw a short demo of the carvewrite or similar product where:
    1) Man clamped a piece of mahagony in a box (which had a router and driving railes above.
    2) Took his lap top and told it he wanted a jewelry box.
    3) Turned on the machine which was connected to his laptop.
    4) Shortly thereafter he had a finished jewelry box that didn't even appear to need sanding. Now it get cute!
    5) He took a picture of his daughter and scanned it into his laptop. Told it he wanted to make a top for the jewelry box and he wanted a cameo of his daughter on the lid.
    6) Shortly thereafter he had a finished fitted top for the jewelry box with a raised 3-D cameo of his daughter's picture on the top of the lid..

So: There are compeditive machines out there, they can be attached to scanners and duplicate anything ( I want to duplicate old plastic frames in exotic wood) and yes they can do a gunstock. They can do the whole damn gunstock and make it as ornate as you wish.

Of course the cost goes up as you add goodies.

I am "researching" at the moment (I hate it when people tell me they are "researching on the net, and think they have become informed afterward) on various devises and prices of the above. I have a feeling that after reading this, some of you will be "researching also, especially Jackie.
    I will be most appreciative if those of you that do will be willing to share your "research" with me and others on this forum, or by E. Mail or private message. Perhaps we can find something best suited to our needs without a lot of duplication, wasted time and buying things that we wish we had gotten something else instead afterward.

Chip

P.S. As to your question about cutting plastics, I suppose we coud add lubicants to the cutting tools and a speed control to the cutting bit (router) and accomplish this without melting the work. I am sure that this is already being done somewhere by someone.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Question...............

Chip ............when you are ready to make frames on your computer, are yopu going to move to China to join all other frame makers ? :D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Chip ............when you are ready to make frames on your computer, are yopu going to move to China to join all other frame makers ? :D

Hey Chris and others, I just seen a frame company in Nevada that is making frames here.

Forgot the name Nevada Eyeworks , U.S.A. handled by LBI and maybe Hilco too.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 11-28-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

I am "researching" at the moment (I hate it when people tell me they are "researching on the net, and think they have become informed afterward) on various devises and prices of the above. I have a feeling that after reading this, some of you will be "researching also, especially Jackie.
    I will be most appreciative if those of you that do will be willing to share your "research" with me and others on this forum, or by E. Mail or private message. Perhaps we can find something best suited to our needs without a lot of duplication, wasted time and buying things that we wish we had gotten something else instead afterward.
    I'm "researching" too. The only other things that I know I've already posted, the Italian pantograph (should be an American somewhere), Tripp's Inc and Kingsley North for hand tools and SMC.

Thread Information