Thread: Davis

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Davis

Has anyone else had problems with Davis? Today 100% of the Davis orders we recieved were WRONG! One FT28 had a seg height over two millimeters too high. One was just a demo frame, no prescription at all, and we ordered a prescription. That was after getting the wrong color and sending it back. Now Davis won't admit that they are holding the lenses hostage, they only have record of the brown frame they sent without a prescription, no record of the black frame that the lenses were in. So I'm going to have to drop the bomb to my boss that Davis is a (insert curse word here) stupid company. Not like she doesn't know that, but still this frame mixup is the worst thing I've seen them do.
    Hope that everyone else is doing better w/ Davis than me.
    -Katherine Whitney, optician

OptiBoard Apprentice OpticianBarry's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis

I have run into this and other situations with Davis before. Stick to your guns and make them accountable for their errors.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's why Davis will one day go the way of State Optical.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    State who?

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis Optical?

Jobs from lab wrong?

Heavens! How can this be?

They're *COLTS LABORATORIES* CERTIFIED LAB!

Hmmmmmmmm....

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

RE Cheap Managed Care

KL, this is why I don't accept managed care plans that require me to use their own labs. I can tell you horror stories (Like the time I picked up my own glasses in from the lab and the lenses were so undersize they were left in the box!)

We accept most VSP plans but don't take Signature Choice because there are only 2 labs they can go to (at least when looking at the plan). I don't mind if I have a generous choice of labs, but its always trouble when there are only 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kl_whitney View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with Davis? Today 100% of the Davis orders we recieved were WRONG! One FT28 had a seg height over two millimeters too high. One was just a demo frame, no prescription at all, and we ordered a prescription. That was after getting the wrong color and sending it back. Now Davis won't admit that they are holding the lenses hostage, they only have record of the brown frame they sent without a prescription, no record of the black frame that the lenses were in. So I'm going to have to drop the bomb to my boss that Davis is a (insert curse word here) stupid company. Not like she doesn't know that, but still this frame mixup is the worst thing I've seen them do.
    Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis never ceases to amaze me!

Although I realize the last post to this thread was a few months ago, it will make me feel better to get this out! I am the only optician in my office so no one else "gets" it. Davis has been the biggest pain in the rear for me since I stepped into this office! I started working here in December and was instantly thrown in the fire so to speak. There were jobs that had been out for over a month. Getting through to Davis and actually getting an answer as to job status or an ETA is impossible! At this very moment I have jobs still sitting in AR (that is what my queue says anyhow) and have been there since the middle of January. It seems to me that the only time I experience heavy delays and poor workmanship is when I send one of our frames in. I did get in touch with the lab manager and sent him a fax of all my problem jobs as per his request and that was over a week ago and still no response. Does anyone else out there still experience these problems. It stinks, I feel like my hands are tied! As if the lab wasn't hard enough to deal with the billing has become a complete mystery!!!!

So Frustrating!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm imagining that these are the first thorns in the side of a beast that will go down hard.

Step out of the way!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard DestinieNicole!

Yeah.................Davis pretty much *B*L*O*W*S*!!!

This rounds on me!
    (You need it!)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Now you know why we don't take Davis. It's an extremely poor representation of me when patients walk out with poor quality optical goods... I require better service and quality than Davis can provide. And I hate Davis reps calling and trying to tell me what contacts to fit my patients in.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I do not enjoy Davis, I have had very little trouble reaching someone and being able to check on the status of my outstanding orders. A few of our frames have *disappeared* and NEVER believe them if they say just send in the job to edge down, fix tint, whatever.. w/o a NEW invoice number.. otherwise when they receive the order and can't match it up to an active order, it gets placed in a very special circle in hell.

Which lab are your orders being sent to? I have the name and phone number of their lab manager who we have spoken too upon occasion about especially grevious oversights.. for the Plainview lab.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    DestinieNicole,

The only way I know of to fix these issues is to stop taking the insurance . Its business decision that only your office can assess but years ago the stress became too much for me and it just wasn't worth doing. Maybe if enough people stop taking the insurance they will finally respond. I heard promises to fix things in the past and for 2 weeks things would be "better" but it always went back to the same hell.

It was too time and strength sucking when I was making so little money.

Sharpstick

Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    Although I realize the last post to this thread was a few months ago, it will make me feel better to get this out! I am the only optician in my office so no one else "gets" it. Davis has been the biggest pain in the rear for me since I stepped into this office! I started working here in December and was instantly thrown in the fire so to speak. There were jobs that had been out for over a month. Getting through to Davis and actually getting an answer as to job status or an ETA is impossible! At this very moment I have jobs still sitting in AR (that is what my queue says anyhow) and have been there since the middle of January. It seems to me that the only time I experience heavy delays and poor workmanship is when I send one of our frames in. I did get in touch with the lab manager and sent him a fax of all my problem jobs as per his request and that was over a week ago and still no response. Does anyone else out there still experience these problems. It stinks, I feel like my hands are tied! As if the lab wasn't hard enough to deal with the billing has become a complete mystery!!!!

So Frustrating!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some Davis labs are better then others. Years ago we had a lot of problems with the lab we were told to use. The manager insisted on being able to use a different Davis lab and they finnally gave in. I think they said the New York lab had the least problems, at least then.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks! We use the Philadelphia lab. Doc seems to think that if we stop taking Davis we will lose so many of our patients. So my answer to that is this: Most of the patients we have that use their Davis benefit for glasses are the very elderly that have Davis as part of the supplemental insurance, and while it would be easier for them to get their glasses here, they will still be his patients because they have been for years and before he added the optical on. 99% of the time the patients are here for medical reasons and Davis does not get billed for their exam anyway. Sure we may lose a couple of people but we will also lose headaches, angry people, and oh yeah that whole part where I spend hours of my time trying to figure out their intricate billing scheme that for some reason never seems to work in our favor. As soon as the Dr. gets back from vacation I'm going to show his this board so he can see that we would have a better time without Davis. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks! We use the Philadelphia lab. Doc seems to think that if we stop taking Davis we will lose so many of our patients. So my answer to that is this: Most of the patients we have that use their Davis benefit for glasses are the very elderly that have Davis as part of the supplemental insurance, and while it would be easier for them to get their glasses here, they will still be his patients because they have been for years and before he added the optical on. 99% of the time the patients are here for medical reasons and Davis does not get billed for their exam anyway. Sure we may lose a couple of people but we will also lose headaches, angry people, and oh yeah that whole part where I spend hours of my time trying to figure out their intricate billing scheme that for some reason never seems to work in our favor. As soon as the Dr. gets back from vacation I'm going to show his this board so he can see that we would have a better time without Davis. :bbg:
    Dont forget! It works in the opposite way also!
    Patients will be reffered to you by Davis and be seen with their medical insurances!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone else had problems with Davis? Today 100% of the Davis orders we recieved were WRONG!

We would be dropping Davis like a hot potato. Why would your owners stay on as a provider? Just curious. We take Davis because that is what UAW GM members have. We use our own lab of choice but I think it is because we used to be a franchise and they just left it the way it was when we went independent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    You will probably have a drop in orders at least at first if you get rid of Davis vision. However your time and stress would be set free and you would find yourself giving better service to the patients that remain. Suddenly those happy patients are refering their friends to your practice and in a few months not only are you stress free, but you have a new set of more lucrative patients.

If you do drop the insurance let your patients know its because the policies of their company create a system of poor customer service.

We have dropped insurances and kept many of the patients who then pay out of pocket.

It really depends on the level of customer service you want to provide. Plans like Davis punish offices with high standards for service. If you enjoy working long thankless hours, dealing with angry patients, and making very little money for your work by all means keep Davis Vision.

Thread Information