Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How low can it go?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What is making in copntinue to drop now is continued anouncements that the government is going to throw out a trillion $$ of more paper money. Call the guys on wal street what you wish, they aint stupid when it comes to such influences. Every dollar thrown out weakens the ones in your pocket. The wall street dollar becomes less vaulable.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    What is making in copntinue to drop now is continued anouncements that the government is going to throw out a trillion $$ of more paper money. Call the guys on wal street what you wish, they aint stupid when it comes to such influences. Every dollar thrown out weakens the ones in your pocket. The wall street dollar becomes less vaulable.
    That was my point a few threads ago. The Street is looking to Washington, and all Washington can say is "let's spend more..."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As of 12:47 CST it was 6,816.90 :(

6,763.29 at 3:17 CST :( :(

I still hold by a 5000 bottom
    Last edited by Jacqui; 03-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Occupation

How low will it go.

5000 until the comercial real estate fall out then all the way to 3000.

Rep

Occupation
    6,693.20 As of 12:19 CST

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz is almost right!!!!
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is pretty cool! I really dig the idea of working until I am 133 years old!

Does anybody think that a swing back to a barter economy can be far behind?

:cheers::cheers::angry::cheers::cheers::shiner:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Does anybody think that a swing back to a barter economy can be far behind?
    :cheers::cheers::angry::cheers::cheers::shiner:
    I don't know about the rest of y'all, but where I live, we're already there!

Occupation
    This should be the close 6,595.08 - 280.76

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gee...I why can't we print some more $$ to give them?

Auditors Raise Doubts About G.M.’s Viability

By NICK BUNKLEY
    Published: March 5, 2009
    DETROIT — As General Motors acknowledged in its annual report on Thursday that its survival was in “substantial doubt,” the White House said it was “working around the clock” on the auto industry’s problems.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    6484.05 at 3:06 PM Eastern

A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If this keeps getting worse it'll be as bad as the Reagan Recession of 81-82.:(
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    It's going to be worse

Occupation
    Here's from Warren Buffet:

http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/inve...entid=18451701

This is what the real estate market could be in more places:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/...andlord_nation

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And since we can't blame anybody else, they'll call it the Reagan Recession of 2009! (who cares that he's dead?)

While we're talking naming rights, let me be logical about this...

The Recession started on Bush's watch - right? So we can agree to call it the Bush Recession of 2007-2009.

So when the Depression starts on Obama's watch, it will be the Obama Depression of 2010 - 2029 right? :hammer:(Hey at least we'll be able to say the recession's over...right?:D)

...I just want to make sure I've got all of this stuff right!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Here's from Warren Buffet:

http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/inve...entid=18451701

This is what the real estate market could be in more places:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/...andlord_nation
    he is on CNBC right now. It is ridiculous. 20 people kept asking him for stock advice and why he bought when it was not at the lowest. His message is very clear: Buy once and hold onto it. No one is listening to him. It is these idiotic daytraders that are causing so many problems. I love these people that are dumping their stock. It will comeback.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Warren Buffet"s market position allows him to remain in the market as he is not dependent on Berkshire Hathaway for his personal wealth. You can bet your bucket that he has a substantial portfolio of tax free munis, money markets and other low risk instruments to fall back on for his and his families security.

As we are not receiving any wages we pulled all of our investments out of the stock market last year. At seventy years old, the market may recover but not in our lifetimes. So, no more 20% annual return on investment but at least we can sleep nights.

How low can it go? That's anyone's guess. How high will future taxes be? That's an equally important question as it will impact all wage earners.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Warren Buffet"s market position allows him to remain in the market as he is not dependent on Berkshire Hathaway for his personal wealth. You can bet your bucket that he has a substantial portfolio of tax free munis, money markets and other low risk instruments to fall back on for his and his families security.

As we are not receiving any wages we pulled all of our investments out of the stock market last year. At seventy years old, the market may recover but not in our lifetimes. So, no more 20% annual return on investment but at least we can sleep nights.

How low can it go? That's anyone's guess. How high will future taxes be? That's an equally important question as it will impact all wage earners.
    I do not know how much spending money you have versus stock money (or I say had). The fact is, the market will go up and the value of these stocks will be higher than ever.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    The fact is, the market will go up and the value of these stocks will be higher than ever.
    I know you're right. I just hope that the turn around is soon! Because if anything were to happen now, and I really needed the money, I'd be sc****d! The other thing I worry about is stocks like citifinancial. Those stocks have plummetted (I can get it for cheaper than a candy bar) but if the bank becomes completely nationalized, the stock that I already own, which was $18,000 and is now $2,000, will be worthless.
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I do not know how much spending money you have versus stock money (or I say had). The fact is, the market will go up and the value of these stocks will be higher than ever.
    At one time I might have agreed with you that the market would recover. Now I am not so sure that it will recover in my lifetime (i'm 69 and hope to have another 25 years.) In any case, I prefer to live in the world that is rather than the world that may be. I have absolutely no faith that the US economy (and the rest of the world) will recover while the present administration is in the White House. I do not believe that the Democrat party has the slightest clue. The Republican party is little better but perhaps the present debacle will return the party to it's more conservative roots.

My wife and I not at all concerned for our own financial future. We have sufficient resources to allow us to live in a rather splendid life style for our remaining years. We are, however, concerned for the future of our children and grandchildren. Someone is going to have to pay for all of this foolishness and it is going to be the taxpayer,that is to say, our children. S

Suppose that the economy magically returned to its 03/09/09 position overnight, tonight. We would still be facing this Skabillion dollar national debt. Run some numbers and see what the tax burden would be on the wage earner. It's frightening. And, as far as spending goes, we ain't seen nuthin yet!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    At one time I might have agreed with you that the market would recover. Now I am not so sure that it will recover in my lifetime (i'm 69 and hope to have another 25 years.) In any case, I prefer to live in the world that is rather than the world that may be. I have absolutely no faith that the US economy (and the rest of the world) will recover while the present administration is in the White House. I do not believe that the Democrat party has the slightest clue. The Republican party is little better but perhaps the present debacle will return the party to it's more conservative roots.

My wife and I not at all concerned for our own financial future. We have sufficient resources to allow us to live in a rather splendid life style for our remaining years. We are, however, concerned for the future of our children and grandchildren. Someone is going to have to pay for all of this foolishness and it is going to be the taxpayer,that is to say, our children. S

Suppose that the economy magically returned to its 03/09/09 position overnight, tonight. We would still be facing this Skabillion dollar national debt. Run some numbers and see what the tax burden would be on the wage earner. It's frightening. And, as far as spending goes, we ain't seen nuthin yet!

I will respectfully disagree with some of your points. This whole taxation thing is not the be/end all. There are many other elements that tie into what a system should and has to be to be successful.

On the other hand, yes the debt is tremendous, but it was tremendous probably under Presidents you supported. What were your concerns when Reagan, Bush, and Bush each doubled the debt? Did you support Clinton when there were balanced budgets?

If you do not have the tax base due to unemployment to bring in revenue, you will not be able to pay off debt either.

But yes, my studies of economics makes me believe that the economy will return and will return sometime in the next year. Definitely, it will not begin to pick up until construction hits.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The fact is, the market will go up and the value of these stocks will be higher than ever.

So now's a great time to buy GM stock?

Fact? Yes, some of the market will go up...eventually, but if you hitch your wagon to the wrong horse, you'll be out of luck.

That's a fact.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Fact? Yes, some of the market will go up...eventually, but if you hitch your wagon to the wrong horse, you'll be out of luck.

That's a fact.
    Might be a good time to pick up some Intel stock. That will generally rebound pretty quickly,especially since their CPUs have been kicking AMD's butts lately.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

That's a fact.
    No, you do not buy a bad company. That would be just stupid. You research the company.

Plus, you should not be investing in one stock. You need to diversify yourself.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Looks like you were the winner (hopefully). It seems like it is beginning to climb back

Thread Information