Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How low can it go?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper How low can it go?

So far today, the DOW is down +/- 200 points.

How far down do you think the market will go before it levels out, or goes up?

I'm guessing it will go as low as 5900.

The critera I'd use is 10 straight business days for the DOW to be in the black.

What's you're guess?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Apples 10 cents...

Bottom looks like 8200. It's been hit several times now and seems to go up from there. Sometimes rising dramatically as all the money that's been pulled tries to reenter at the bottom is my guess.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To give you some perspective.......

In 1964 or 5 I authored a paper in graduate school entitled (get ready for this...)

Will the Dow ever break 1000?

Hopefully that paper has now turned to dust somewhere, but it shows how little we understood about what impact computers would have and the amount of information and the speed at which it would be transmitted. I wish I could take the paper back for a rewrite!:D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Bottom looks like 8200. It's been hit several times now and seems to go up from there.
    Not anymore!

It just finished below that number?

Anymore guesses?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    In 1964 or 5 I authored a paper in graduate school entitled (get ready for this...)

Will the Dow ever break 1000?

Hopefully that paper has now turned to dust somewhere, but it shows how little we understood about what impact computers would have and the amount of information and the speed at which it would be transmitted. I wish I could take the paper back for a rewrite!:D
    I was working for AO in Sioux City Iowa when the Dow closed over 1000 for the first time. The boys upstairs at the stock brokers office had a party and invited everyone in the building. The problem was, that Warner Lambert (owned AO at that time) went down, I was losing money !!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    not anymore!

Anymore guesses?

5000 ??

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    call me optimistic, but I cannot see it going much lower. I think we have hit its worse and will begin to level off and go up.

Plus, lets hope that the next month of Xmas shopping will stabilize it. Though, if we have one more hit, it may come the day after Black Friday, if retail sales are really low.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    call me optimistic, but I cannot see it going much lower. I think we have hit its worse and will begin to level off and go up.

Plus, lets hope that the next month of Xmas shopping will stabilize it. Though, if we have one more hit, it may come the day after Black Friday, if retail sales are really low.

You're optimistic :p

The bottom will be June or July. The upside, is that the market has been insanely overinflated for at least 10 years. It will finally get back to an honest level.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    hello all,

here are some interesting levels and dates on monthly DJ chart....Oct '08 declined almost 3,000 points

bottom might set when price posts a level of demand that is greater than supply

BB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I suspect things can go a lot lower than they are now (although deep down I am an optimist). Almost everybody I know still has multiple cars, cell phones, cable TV, a summer home here and there, designer clothing, and goes out to eat at least twice per week, and complain about paying taxes. (No...all my friends are not ODs.).

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that went something like this..."Despite the high cost of living, it is still quite popular."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bottom is....

Zero

Occupation
    nice CME4,

if price gets through 7,150 and sustains, a level of demand was around your number

BB

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

change is coming....

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I suspect things can go a lot lower than they are now (although deep down I am an optimist). Almost everybody I know still has multiple cars, cell phones, cable TV, a summer home here and there, designer clothing, and goes out to eat at least twice per week, and complain about paying taxes. (No...all my friends are not ODs.).

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that went something like this..."Despite the high cost of living, it is still quite popular."

Change is taking place now. Most people in this country are too dull to realize what is really going on. We are being and have been raped by the powers at be for way too long.

Let the tea party begin.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Free-Trade has put us in this mess. Our Auto-Makers can’t compete with Korea for the cost of manufacturing a car because they are paying wages and living at a standard of living much lower than ours. If we had the tariffs that this country was founded with…to protect American workers and manufacturing…then we wouldn’t be in this mess.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Free-Trade has put us in this mess. Our Auto-Makers can’t compete with Korea for the cost of manufacturing a car because they are paying wages and living at a standard of living much lower than ours. If we had the tariffs that this country was founded with…to protect American workers and manufacturing…then we wouldn’t be in this mess.

Maybe...but the fact that they make Honda cars in Ohio, and they are on the best sellers list, should also be considered. (but that's already in another thread)

My guess is 5946.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But, you see they can make Hondas in Ohio because we have become that third world nation. We’ve depressed our wages to such an extent that it can make sense. Also, not all tariffs have been lifted and one of the reasons for building foreign cars here is to have them avoid the minimal tariffs we have….which is fine by me personally. If you manufacture here, than you can feel free to avoid tariffs. The point of tariffs is to get the jobs here.

Then, with other companies like BMW and Volkswagen it is cheaper to make the cars here since the dollar is so devalued against the Euro. (we are the third world nation now)
    www.opticaljedi.com

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can I call'em or what...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Not anymore!

Anymore guesses?
    7346!:idea::)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But, you see they can make Hondas in Ohio because we have become that third world nation.
    Well there you go! Problem solved. Lordstown (laying off 1,000 employees next month) is located in Ohio.

Should be no problem.;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

around 7000

Heres my guess, we will get to around 7000 where it will stay (+or-300) for atleast 6 months then it will slowly start its climb back to about 9500. Im pulling this out of my............ so if Im right Ill be suprised.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The standard of living that we enjoy in the US is because of free trade. Inexpensive consumer products.

On one hand you say that our automakers cannot compete with Korean automakers because their wages and standard of living are much lower than ours and you also say "we’ve depressed our wages to such an extent that it can make sense" for foreign auto makers to manufacture in the US. Are US autoworkers in foreign owned companies underpaid? Free Trade requires a company to run a solid operation. "Protecting" domestic businesses that are operated poorly seems to be a poor fiscal model.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem is that we went from what this country was founded on (namely the economy working for the people) to the Reaganomics Trickle Down model which is that the people work for the economy. This is bass ackwards.

Free-Trade does not make a company more fiscally responsible. Free-Trade makes a company more fiscally responsible to the shareholders and not the workers and purchasers of their product. Free-Trade has allowed us to have cheap products in the US, yes. But at what cost? It’s a great short-term economic policy, but a terrible long-term policy. That is why the stock market goes up when companies lay people off. It’s great for the company’s bottom line. It looks great for the books, but at what cost?

I’m so fed up and angry over this mess because it’s free-traders “World is Flat” Friedmanders who are causing this mess, and then blaming the poor people who are the victims of their greed.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what do you think?

How low will it go?

Free FezzJohns frame to the winner!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    All those foreign cars that folks claim are made in America...Virtually all the parts are imported. Only final assembly is done here. The foreign automakers avoid tarrifs that way, and save on shipping costs. They were able to set up new, super efficient assembly plants that require a minimum of American workers. They have no responsibility to retired workers. It's no wonder they can beat the big three.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The problem is that we went from what this country was founded on (namely the economy working for the people) to the Reaganomics Trickle Down model which is that the people work for the economy. This is bass ackwards.

Free-Trade does not make a company more fiscally responsible. Free-Trade makes a company more fiscally responsible to the shareholders and not the workers and purchasers of their product. Free-Trade has allowed us to have cheap products in the US, yes. But at what cost? It’s a great short-term economic policy, but a terrible long-term policy. That is why the stock market goes up when companies lay people off. It’s great for the company’s bottom line. It looks great for the books, but at what cost?

I’m so fed up and angry over this mess because it’s free-traders “World is Flat” Friedmanders who are causing this mess, and then blaming the poor people who are the victims of their greed.
    Not even to the shareholders. If you are not accountable to your stakeholders, you are not accountable to your shareholders. Turning out a profit today does not mean you will turn out one tomorrow. If you do crummy things, you will not have long term profits.

Thread Information