View Poll Results: Is the glass half full or half empty?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Half full, of course- life is opportunity!

6 37.50%
  • Half empty, life is short and passes you by before you know it!

2 12.50%
  • Well, that depends on what you're drinking now, doesn't it?

4 25.00%
  • Who cares? I always chug my libations anyway so "half anything" isn't an option!

4 25.00%

Thread: Optimist, Pessimist, Realist, or Hedonist?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Optimist, Pessimist, Realist, or Hedonist?

Okay, so what kind of people are OptiBoarders anyway?!? I have a feeling you "morning folk" are probably the "half full" types!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Blue Jumper Now Pete, there you go with that morning person stuff again.

Now that we shared space with you for several days over OLA, do I need to let out the dirty little secret that you are much more functional in the morning than you let on? Even sing in the shower after a hard night of overindulging on Bourbon Street? As for me, I voted for option four.....Life's a Banquet!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optimist,Pessimist,Realist or Hedonist?

ALL OF THE ABOVE !!!???:bbg:

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dang Laurie!

Yall must not have done a very good job with the Petemeister then. He could barely stand the next morning and said virtually nothing except for some carefully worded explitives after Chad and I got through with him. Of course none of us were standing very well that morning :)

With that said I want details. What did Mr. Pete do? Or better yet what did you do while you were there? If Pete was singing the next morning I'm sure he has a pretty good recollection of what everyone else did. So Pete? Fess up. Did Laurie do anything wild and crazy? Did she get beads? :) Did you ever find out what those green things were that everyone was drinking? Do they cause sterility? Was there a guy passed out in his pizza? Was Marcy still stuck talking to that wierd guy from our banquet table (I figured she would STILL be there listening to how great he thought he was ;) Did you leave Bourbon Street just how you found it?

Anyway, I must be gone to do something involving work.

Darris C.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, yes... I was singing Don't Get Around Much Anymore in the shower (along with other varied Nat King Cole tunes) on Sunday morning. However, that was at 10:30am! Even I am usually awake by then! Plus, if you can manage to drink as much as I had the night before and not wake up with a raging hangover, you should be singing the praises of a new day!

Now, as for Laurie... she'll have to describe the particular gymnastic skills she so aptly demonstrated in a bar off Bourbon Street! (BTW, if you ever meet a scraggly looking fella named "Speedy" with a metal washboard around his neck, you should really ask him to perform... he's really quite amazing.)

"Mr. Laurie" (Jim) might best describe the, um, exhibition of talent we absorbed on Friday night (for some reason, I am unable to recall much about it other than it seemed quite impressive at the time)!
    :D

Needless to say, everyone should visit New Orleans at least once... but don't live there! You'll be dead in a year if you do (I'm convinced no one really lives there... that much fun on a regular basis would be just too much)!

Pete
    PS- Oh, and then there was that episode where I saw Steve dancing with this 18 year old blonde on a balcony while chugging a hurricane... (just kidding, folks! I suspect he has it in him, though).

PPS- I actually DID look for the "passed out in his pizza" dude... he must have finally awoken (or changed restaurants). As I recall, Chad wasn't there the next morning, and we will have to have a poll to determine if one can truly be said to have "passed out" if they managed to make it back to their own bed (albeit fully clothed and on top of the covers ;) ).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope,

You passed out. Just admit it :) You mumbled something unintelligible into your pillow and that was the last noise I heard. I went down the hall and got a Coke and some ice though so needless to say I, Darris Chambless, did not pass out :) I did get eaten by ants though.

Darris C.

PS. Leann and I are gonna go look for the passed out pizza dude while we're there :)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No, no, no... "Passing out" implies an unintentional loss of consciousness. As it really happened, I simply chose to remain clothed and sleep on top of the bed! Had I intended to get undressed and get under the covers, but failed to do so due to a sudden loss of consciousness, then one might correctly assert that I had indeed passed out.

However, in that particular instance, I was simply quite satisfied to lie down and call it an evening- um, morning- um, whatever the heck time it was at that time!

Pete "I fell asleep, I did NOT pass out" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well let's see...:)

It was 5:45 AM in the morning and I'm sure you were very tired as I was too. But you have forgotten about one little catch in your analogy and description of "passing out." I speak of course of "auto pilot" :) Not wanting to admit it but for these purposes I will, I have been on auto pilot and made it back to my house, got undressed, climbed under the covers and "passed out" (in my younger days mind you) Was I just really tired and ready to go to sleep? Sure. I was also drunk as you know what and passed out to boot :)

I know what you're thinking too. You're thinking "Well Darris, how then can you prove you actually passed out?" I'll tell you how. I woke up the next morning asleep on the floor at the foot of my bed and have no idea how I ended up there. All I could assume was that I must have gotten up for something. I'm not even sure how I got home either, but (and I should have been shot for this)I think I drove myself home. Fortunately in New Orleans we were on foot.

I'm not trying to dispell your theory but I believe that I've done a fine job of it :) Just so you don't feel alone I did pass out in the chair for a little while, but then when I tried to roll over I fell out of the chair. I decided at that point that I needed to be prone in order to do that effectively so I crashed out on the other bed. There! Are you happy now? :)

Anyway, one can make it home and to ones own bed and still PASS OUT! You and I have both proven it at one time or another. :)

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Stick out tongue Let me explain

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

Now, as for Laurie... she'll have to describe the particular gymnastic skills she so aptly demonstrated in a bar off Bourbon Street! (BTW, if you ever meet a scraggly looking fella named "Speedy" with a metal washboard around his neck, you should really ask him to perform... he's really quite amazing.)

"Mr. Laurie" (Jim) might best describe the, um, exhibition of talent we absorbed on Friday night (for some reason, I am unable to recall much about it other than it seemed quite impressive at the time)!
    :D

Mr. Laurie, AKA Bacchus Jim, felt that our fine young Pete could not consider his education complete without a visit to the world famous Rick's Cabaret. I was dragged in with them. As a retired military wife and mother of three sons, I "get" that boys will be boys. I was forced to sit through numerous sets of amazing, shall we call them calistenics!? ;) From there we moved down the street to listen to an excellent Zydeco band. Very lively to dance to. As the "boys", especially Pete, continued to marvel at the wonders they had beheld and enter debate on what was real vs not, I was simply bored. To amuse myself and as a dancer (no not that kind:hammer: ) for many years, I was merely curious if my middleaged, overweight body could compete in flexibility, since I am confident it wouldn't in other aspects. I am pleased to announce that I have verified I am just as flexible even with the encumbrance of being fully clothed and that wine is a wonderful anesthetic for pain. Nothing more than a research project. Besides, being capable of a perfect sideways split was the best way to protect Jim and Pete's barstools from being taken by the hoards while they repeatedly ran outside to take in the latest bead ritual. I don't know what all they saw, I just know this: when I wanted (being the tame "little woman" that I am) to take pictures of the pretty police horses, they'd already gone through the film and Jim was cursing we hadn't got round to buying a digital camera yet. I am somewhat in fear of what I will see and therefore keep hesitating to proceed with development. I will post one if there is anything legal to use. :bbg:
    My fondest memory of Friday night is our very ultra-conservative Pete being determined to get his ear pierced and being drunk enough to believe me that there was just no where on Bourbon Street open for piercing! When he awoke, quite hungover, from my chipper "time to go to work" Saturday morning, the first thing he did was reach for his ear! I do have to say, Pete, that even my rowdy party animal kids have never got Mom and Dad to stay out that late three nights in a row:cheers:

Thread Information